Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2022, 04:08 PM

814 posts, read 580,354 times

Advertisements

In my garage sits a fully-paid for 2014 Nissan Rogue with 30k miles on it. It's a good, reliable mid-size SUV. The tow capacity is only 1500 lbs, however, which is limiting if I want to buy a small trailer.

I'm wondering if it would make sense to buy a new Pathfinder now and trade it in. The new ones can tow up to 6000 which gives me flexibility. This is only possible with a loan, however, so it means starting over. Not having car payments is a nice thing but the car will be nine years old next year, so....

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 07:01 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,854,050 times
Financially speaking the best decision is to hold on to you Rogue. Now, if you are in the camp that thinks life is short and you want to have fun, then you might want to consider swapping. But, can you rent a car for that once in a blue moon towing. Most of my neighbors that have a boat or a camper have it just parked for most of the yr.

Here, you need a financial advisor to look at you emergency savings, retirement, etc.

As a full disclosure, I have never financed or leased a car. For me, if I can't or won't pay cash, then I can't afford it. I know I am in the minority though.

I have a feeling this is not what you wanted to hear but those are my thoughts.

Old 07-09-2022, 10:34 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post

I'm wondering if it would make sense to buy a new Pathfinder now and trade it in.
First of all, don't "trade it in." You will get royally screwed by a dealer and you won't even know it happened.

Sell it privately.

An 8 year old vehicle with only 30k miles on it will carry a premium price, maybe a few thousand over blue book.

Then you can go haggle with a dealer for a new car and concentrate on the price, thus avoiding the flim flam that goes with the mix of trade in and financing.

And with a large cash down payment you'll keep your monthlies down.

Though I do agree with 00molavi that paying cash in full for a new car is the best way to go. But, then, I'm also in the minority.

Old 09-19-2022, 02:42 PM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
I guess the question comes down to if you want a new car or not? Do you really want to spend $50k + interest on a new car? It seems like you don't really drive a lot, and the cost to own a Pathfinder in depreciation for 5 years is 56% of its initial value.

Pathfinders are rated an "F" when it comes to depreciation.

https://www.autopadre.com/depreciati...san-pathfinder

Old 09-19-2022, 06:08 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
In my garage sits a fully-paid for 2014 Nissan Rogue with 30k miles on it. It's a good, reliable mid-size SUV.
So you have a reliable 8 YO SUV that you drive for average ~ 4000 miles per year. Your Rogue averages 27-28 mpg according to the EPA,
A pathfinder is a 3.5L 6 cylinder gasoline vehicle that gets 23 mpg.

CARB is shooting for 50% of new cars to be electric vehicles in 6 years. As many as 11 other states may institute the same goal.

Wouldn't the logical thing to do is to sit tight for a few years and see what happens to EV availabiliy and prices? VW is planning to develop as many as half a dozen variants of the Buzz.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:01 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
So you have a reliable 8 YO SUV that you drive for average ~ 4000 miles per year. Your Rogue averages 27-28 mpg according to the EPA,
A pathfinder is a 3.5L 6 cylinder gasoline vehicle that gets 23 mpg.

CARB is shooting for 50% of new cars to be electric vehicles in 6 years. As many as 11 other states may institute the same goal.

Wouldn't the logical thing to do is to sit tight for a few years and see what happens to EV availabiliy and prices? VW is planning to develop as many as half a dozen variants of the Buzz.
Depends what you mean by small trailer. The US definition of small trailer is up to pretty generously large.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ian-lightning/

That's sort of on the big end for a "small" trailer but definitely not a large one. Simple, light-weight (relatively) trailer for its size but size probably matters more because of aero drag particularly with how much those trucks weigh. Best with the massive 200 kwh battery was the Hummer at 140 miles, worst was the Ford at 100. That's too big for a Mallfinder and they'd do a bit better with a smaller Feather Micro. Probably not 20% better range though and you'll only want to charge 80% meaning the effective range between chargers is only 100 miles. And that's on the big battery Ford which starts at the low, low price of just $83,000 after delivery. Rivian basically the same, starts at 83k after the bait 'n switch fake pricing.

They might be okay for towing a <2,000 tear drop if you're down on dropping 80k for your tow rig for a tear drop trailer. Personally I think that's nuts. The Maverick or Santa Cruz would be much better tow pigs for a teardrop trailer or a RAV4. The Adventure one is kind of stupid but it has the upgraded trans cooler and whatnot and can tow 3,500 or 2,500 on the RAV4 Prime. Forester 3,000. Plethora of much better choices than an EV.

In six years who knows what will happen. If you want to tow now though what hypothetically might exist in six years is of no interest to you. Worry about that in six years. Buzz is basically the ID.4 which has a 2,200 - 2,700. Fine for a tear drop or a small utility trailer for your riding mower or a couple small dirt bikes. Range would be again the issue. The current shorth Buzz models are using identical powertrains and batteries to the ID.4. For the US we'll only get the LWB. That may or may not come with a larger battery pack.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-20-2022 at 02:16 AM..

Old 09-20-2022, 03:32 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
What also has to be taken into consideration is that "just sitting", even in a garage, takes a toll on a vehicle. Tires and rubber parts dry out, dry rot and will leak. Batteries discharge, albeit slowly. Fluids can draw water from condensation.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
1) What is the weight of your desired towed vehicle?
2) What is the size (aerodynamics / control) of your towed vehicle?
3) How often per yr would you tow?
4) How many miles / yr would you tow?
5) What kind of terrain would you traverse while towing?
6) What are your skills / safety in towing?
7) Will towing best meet your needs?
8) What are the alternatives?
9) What are the LT costs? (Purchase, Maint, use, storage)
10) Do what makes sense (for you).

A Rogue with 30k miles (Rust free?) should have sufficient resale value to buy a replacement 'used' vehicle with adequate towing capacity.

Be wise
Be safe
Be practical

Old 10-06-2022, 11:02 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,779,706 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if it would make sense to buy a new Pathfinder now and trade it in. The new ones can tow up to 6000 which gives me flexibility. This is only possible with a loan, however, so it means starting over. Not having car payments is a nice thing but the car will be nine years old next year, so....

What would you do?

Well I wouldn't get a pathfinder based on my experience with the 2016 model. For one the dipstick seems like an after thought and is in a tricky place to reinsert and it slides down the inside of the engine, so it picks up any oil splashed up against the sides. I have to wait a good ten minutes after adding oil or running the engine to get any kind of accurate reading on the oil level. Then there the oil filter, conveniently installed just above a engine support cross member, makes a holy mess every time I remove the oil filter when replacing it for oil changes. Not a fan of the spare tire placement either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti