Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 09:02 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times

Advertisements

My fiance' & I were thinking that my car has become a money pit & that if the transmission needs replacing & will be a $2K+ fix, fiance' thinks I shouldn't have to do that for a 13-yr old car & should go back to my Nissan dealership to see if they can do anything. Now that I think about it, I do recall a CVT warranty that's been extended or something. I have to look through my paperwork. Overall, I've had quite a few pricey repairs throughout the yrs...I think more than I should have for it only being 13 yrs old, which isn't that old.

My car may technically be 13 yrs old, but the actual wear & tear age is probably 9-10 yrs because I've never driven it much ever because I just don't drive that much in general. I've usrely never driven it roughly. I've always driven it about 7-8K miles/yr & even less in the last 2.5 yrs since COVID started, so like 4-6K because we were home more often.

I've had to do more repairs in the last 13 yrs than fiance's 1991 GMC Sierra C 1500! (But he doens't drive his truck much either, less than my car.)

We just calculated from all my past repair receipts that I've paid $10,311 in repairs since I've had the car (bought brand new)!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 08-12-2022 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 12:45 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Some things rot, rust, or time out despite how much the car gets driven especially if it sits unused. Separate out the part of that $10K paid to perform routine maintenance (labor, parts and materials for fluid changes, wear part replacements, etc)? No car costs nothing to maintain for 13 years.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-12-2022 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-13-2022, 04:56 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
So my car is 13 yrs old & the mileage is 113,335 (so that's 8,718/yr on avg) as I said in my OP.I have a trusted mechanic I could go to OR the Nissan dealership, but I'm sure the dealership will charge an arm & a leg to fix it.
I think you have the Jatco JF011E Continuously Variable Transmission ("CVT") . It would not be unusual to have one fail at just over 100,000 miles. Maybe your mechanic can identify the transmission part number.

Transmission problems are the significant defects in the 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 Rogue models. I presume you have the 2009 model year. Nissan was forced to increase its initial drivetrain warranty on early CVT-equipped Rogues from five years/60,000 mile to 10 years/120,000 miles. You are under the mileage, but over the 10 years.

I hope the dealership gives you a fair analysis for a good price. That seldom happens unfortunately. I doubt that you can fix it for a worthwhile price. Probably selling to Carvana who really only requires the car to run, noisy or not, will be your best option.

Quote:
We just calculated from all my past repair receipts that I've paid $10,311 in repairs since I've had the car (bought brand new)!
More helpful would be a list of maintenance done: like 25 oil and filter changes, 25 tire rotations, 3 sets of new tires, brake pads and rotor replacement, spark plugs, 1-2 new batteries, etc.Plus any work like timing belts or previous transmission work.

I know what is missing on my vehicle. My car has 67,544 miles with 14 oil and filter changes or an average of 4,825 miles, brakes and rotor pads replaced, 2 new batteries, all 4 tires then 2 front tires replaced, one coolant & transmission fluid flush , cabin and engine filters replaced. The spark plugs should be replaced but the boxer engine makes it difficult to do yourself and the mechanic wants $500 to replace them and do a carbon cleaning. The tires weren't rotated enough. I do not expect to get more than 100K miles because of notorious problem with head gasket leaks for this engine.

If you are buying a replacement keep in mind that the 2022 Rogue has a 3 cylinder turbocharged 1.5L engine whose longevity is met with some skepticism by analysts.But they are all new so no problems have developed. If you want an old fashioned Rogue consider the Mitsubushi Outlander which is motivated by a 2.5-liter inline-four-cylinder engine that makes 181 horsepower and 181 pound-feet of torque. It pairs exclusively with a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT). Mitsubushi and Nissan are parts of the same company. The older Rogue was basically rebadged as an Outlander.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-13-2022 at 05:26 AM..

Old 08-16-2022, 08:49 AM

Default Update

OK, so took car to my mechanic yesterday afternoon & he says it's 1 or more of the wheel bearings, which he'll really dive into checking out today & should be able to tell me the cost, which I'm dreading. (It always seems that any auto work that needs to be done is in the $1000 - 1500 range.)

PacoMartin, yes, I have a 2009. (I actually bought it in Sept 2008.) Cars are the type of thing that I'd never buy the same make again. I take good care of & hold onto my cars for about 20 yrs & this is just my 2nd car in my life & I'm already in my late 40s, so I want something different each time. My 1st car was a 1993 Honda Civic coupe bought new when I was 18 & a senior in HS & drove till age 33 (but the car stayed in the family for another several yrs & was driven by another fam member in which AFTER that, it will still in good enough condition to be sold.

(It's like I'd probably never get the same dog breed again because there are so many different breeds out there. I had a purebreed Boston Terrier before & this time, I'd get a French Bulldog.)

Last edited by Forever Blue; 08-16-2022 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-16-2022, 09:20 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
OK, so took car to my mechanic yesterday afternoon & he says it's 1 or more of the wheel bearings, which he'll really dive into checking out today & should be able to tell me the cost, which I'm dreading. (It always seems that any auto work that needs to be done is in the $1000 - 1500 range.)
That is excellent news!
While the car is in the shop for the wheel bearing replacement(s), it would be a convenient opportunity for you to have the trans fluid changed. This might enable you to get some more usage of the vehicle before you sell it.

Old 08-16-2022, 02:12 PM

Default Update #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That is excellent news!
While the car is in the shop for the wheel bearing replacement(s), it would be a convenient opportunity for you to have the trans fluid changed. This might enable you to get some more usage of the vehicle before you sell it.

Yes, since it could have been something a LOT more involved.

Mechanic called. It's the R & L wheel bearings...the R one's the one making the noise, but he said it's best to fix both sides if I'm going to keep the car because I'll be fixing the other in another 3-6 mos if I don't get it fixed now. It should be done by the end of the day!

Grand total = $978.81

Although, it's another $1000, I'm glad it's not worse & $3-5K+.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 08-16-2022 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti