Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
I'm not a real estate agent...I'm just a private citizen (not military affiliated either)who has called this place home my entire life! Wouldn't live anywhere else! Fayetteville is not the dump you want to claim it is. It has it's good, bad, and the ugly JUST like every other town/city in this entire nation! Some people just want to dwell on the bad and never look at all the positive.

See that's the thing, Fayetteville does have good attributes. However those attribute are only about 20% of the entire city. Fayetteville is awful. I used to work down there. I tried my best to stay positive, but Fayetteville is unfortunately an immensely depressing city (or town)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 12,718 times
I moved to Fayetteville from Columbia, SC in 87 and it had a bad reputation then dating back to it's early Fayettenam days. Anyways we raised our two children here, product of Fay public schools and they have both grown to be remarkable young adults. I like Fayetteville, it's not great and it doesn't offer the culture of some of the bigger cities, but the people are nice, schools are okay, and homes are reasonably priced. Interestingly though, I am considering moving to the Pinehurst, Aberdeen area where I think the quality of life is a little nicer, lower crime, less traffic and better neighborhoods. I am looking for a Tennis/golf community with homes that I can afford.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 15,498 times
It might not be as wonderful as you're hoping, but it really isn't so bad. They've come a long way in the last 10 years or so. Downtown is no longer seedy and desolate but a thriving area with lots of great restaurants and entertainment. The crime rate is pretty high for the size of the town but it's much improved. Just be sure to stick to safe areas and you'll be just fine. As far as a job, good luck... the unemployment is pretty high but depending on your degree you have a pretty good shot at a decent job. Many people commute to Raleigh to work too. Check out Southern Pines, it's a small town near Fayetteville with quintessential southern charm and safe to boot.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 15,457 times
We have lived here for 8 years. I firmly believe no matter where you live, its what you make of it. We have lived in big cities, small border towns and in the middle of corn fields in Nebraska and we have loved them all. We live in a fabulous neighborhood, with a great neighborhood watch program. We have been pleased with the public school system (although NC ranks quite low for public schools) We have had fabulous teachers that have gone the extra mile for us.

You have to make the effort to find your interests and you will find plenty to do. No, its not a big city with many cultural events, but you can manage to stay quite busy and have some fun.

Be positive its not so bad!

Old 12-17-2010, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 12,601 times
I have not lived in the Fayetteville area but I do live in Southern Pines, NC, which is right next door. Many military families from Ft. Bragg live here. Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-17-2010 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: t

Old 12-18-2010, 08:47 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlind985 View Post
I am used to living in Madison, Wisconsin, with a very high standard of living. Madison is a very clean, educated, and overall great place to live (Middleton, my hometown, making the Number 1 place to live in the US recently).
Oh dear, you will be so disappointed!

I'm from WI- Milwaukee area, and live in Raleigh, NC . My sister's (now ex) husband transferred to Fort Bragg and they both absolutely hated it...She is still there w/ a teaching job and does not like living there at all. She even lives in a nice neighborhood and there's been several incidences of people robbing houses and vehicles there.

I've visited there many many times, I agree w/ what heeha said about the strip malls...
It's totally ghetto and every corner looks the same- gas station, pawn shop, fast food, gas station, tanning salon, crackhead, strip mall...

Old 12-18-2010, 09:57 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlind985 View Post
My Fiance is in the military and is being moved to Fort Bragg, NC. He is in Special Operations. I am moving there to finally be with him but everything I have read about Fayetteville is negative. I recently graduated from a very good university and I want a good job. I am used to living in Madison, Wisconsin, with a very high standard of living. Madison is a very clean, educated, and overall great place to live (Middleton, my hometown, making the Number 1 place to live in the US recently).
Everything I have read about Fayetteville is very bad. I am just wondering if people could respond and tell me if Fayetteville is really THAT bad? I am not a low income or "Trashy" individual. I like my nice clothes, nice stores, "Luxury" apartments, nice car, etc. Being that sort of person, will I find Fayetteville essentially unlivable? The more I read about the area, the more concerned I become. Any and all advice is welcome!
Thanks!

OMG...Fayetteville is not Middleton or Madison. Middleton is like Americana perfected--Peyton Place and Stepford Wives combined. Didn't Beaver Cleaver grow up there?
Fayetteville is not even like McFarland. But is has it's areas. Maybe a little like Milwaukee with a blend of Janesville?
Ask around and I think you will find some great places. The outlying areas are more rural, but a short drive into Fayetteville, Ft. Bragg or Spring Lake.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:40 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Maybe a little like Milwaukee with a blend of Janesville?

Fayetteville is not at all like Milwaukee!

LOL if it were, I would have nothing but good things to say about it!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:41 AM

3 posts, read 36,666 times
Fayetteville has the highest rate of burgalries, and deaths in North Carolina. And some parts of it smell so bad that you can't even step outside from the dog food factory. So I suggest Fuquay Varina. Were looking on moving in there.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:43 AM

3 posts, read 36,666 times
The only part that I find enjouable is the Carolina Bead Company there. That is where I go for all my craft supplies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina