Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bram73 View Post
I've previously stated I'm guilty of starting one myself but only because if you are a native N Carolinian not only is this disrespectful but it's just not logical in any sense & the posters know it. I don't understand this Raleigh & NOVA comparison. The very fact that people are trying to compare 4 cities Raleigh-Durham/Cary & Chapel Hill to a whole other REGION of another state is very strange. Especially considering that NOVA is pretty much metro DC & South VA which is unmistakably the south is NC's major partner not NOVA. I live right under VA. I'm 20 minutes from Danville. People there don't even make mention of NOVA. Even the local television channel you dont see no NOVA advertisements or anything. VA is night and day, it's South VA(southern) & NOVA(mostly Mid Atlantic). NC it's WNC( Southern Appalachain) PNC(Southern City) ENC(Southern) All regions in NC are without a doubt southern. Making the comparison of Raleigh to NOVA is more than just bringing up bio tech & College Towns.
I dont think the op's comment was disrespectful at all. I am a native North. Carolinian as well. I actually think it was a keen observation. I really think it depends on how old you are and where you grew up at in North Carolina. If you are 35 or younger(I'm 31) and grew up in Charlotte or Raleigh in the 90's when the cities were rapidly growing and becoming more blended then you might consider yourself mid-atlantic as oppposed to someone who us 70 from Wilson,NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:04 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Raleigh feels mid-Atlantic, but not other part of the state does.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:16 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,878 times
somebody hasn't visited the appalachian mountains of nc

Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 PM

68 posts, read 139,502 times
But see that's the whole problem right there. If NC is the Mid Atlantic then go ahead and write GA off the list as well. You can add the Triangle and the Charlotte Metrolina all together and you will still be well short of the size of Atlanta. Just like Atlanta there is still plenty of south left in Raleigh and especially Charlotte. Not to mention when I think of Baltimore, DC, NOVA, or even Norfolk. Raleigh just doesn't fit into their catagory. Also how anyone can change geography because of a mass migration of people still stumps me. NC still sits calmy in between the southern states of TN, GA, SC and South VA. Not to mention if Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, or Atlanta since the reason of justification is from the mass movement of people to a state, what exatly is a southern city?? Or can it even exist then? And I'm talking major southern city. Like 300,00 people southern city.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,519,220 times
I think it's all perception and where you are from. I'm from rural NE NC (and lived in Va Beach for 15 years) and to me Raleigh feels (not is) like the deep south. My mother noticed the feel of the land and said it felt homey (or a derivative thereof) to her. This is in no way a negative connotation but just a difference I believe.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,153 times
Sorry its taking me a long time for me to write back, first of all this is the first post i have every made. Sorry i didn't know that there where more post about nc being mid atlantic. Also i traveled to the mountains of nc to the boone area. I also went to greensboro on the way. Why i think nc is mid atlantic is because of the climate and the landscape of the area. Then the people of nc are smart and highly educated like the mid atlantic area. There are a lot of high tech jobs in the area too. I also went to georgia to northern atlanta area and the area was like gone with the wind to me. Sorry to make so many people mad calling north carolina mid atlantic it was a compliment.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:11 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy12 View Post
Sorry its taking me a long time for me to write back, first of all this is the first post i have every made. Sorry i didn't know that there where more post about nc being mid atlantic. Also i traveled to the mountains of nc to the boone area. I also went to greensboro on the way. Why i think nc is mid atlantic is because of the climate and the landscape of the area. Then the people of nc are smart and highly educated like the mid atlantic area. There are a lot of high tech jobs in the area too. I also went to georgia to northern atlanta area and the area was like gone with the wind to me. Sorry to make so many people mad calling north carolina mid atlantic it was a compliment.

I see where you are coming from, and I apologize in advance for these extreme examples, but it's like telling an asian person " you are such a good driver", or a black person, "you are so well spoken". The compliment by it's very nature is insulting because you are insinuating stereotypes by saying the subject is above the said stereotypes typically associated with them.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:35 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
How do you know the people of NC are smart and educated? Did you go door to door and ask people what kind of degrees they have?

And I'm sorry, but Atlanta in 2011 like Gone With The Wind? Lmao

Old 12-15-2011, 06:58 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,266 times
Quote:
Like macjr82 said, it's more like a slap in the face than a compliment.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:32 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I see where you are coming from, and I apologize in advance for these extreme examples, but it's like telling an asian person " you are such a good driver", or a black person, "you are so well spoken". The compliment by it's very nature is insulting because you are insinuating stereotypes by saying the subject is above the said stereotypes typically associated with them.
And never mind that "Mid-Atlantic" (as opposed to Southern) is NOT necessarily a compliment to many in/from NC. When I think "Mid-Atlantic", I think of Newark, Philadelphia, and Baltimore. No thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina