Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:36 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times

Advertisements

Both are good areas, just depends on what you're looking for. Both are clean/green, great economies, great weather, family-friendly, and great people. The Raleigh area's colleges are better and crime rate a bit lower. The Charlotte area has more to do recreationally and the cost of living is a little lower. Again, both great areas.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:09 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Since Trader Joe's is a major deciding factor, you should know that in the Triangle area we will soon have 2 TJs. There's one in Cary and our newer TJ's will be opening on the east side of Chapel Hill within a couple months ... and I believe it will be around the corner from Whole Foods. There are rumors that a 3rd Trader Joe's will be popping up in North Raleigh, but I don't think it's been officially announced.

I don't know anything about the progress of TJ's in the Charlotte area because I don't live there. But I know that they're getting an Ikea!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:32 PM

47 posts, read 139,400 times
Well the Charlotte Republican deal is wrong- Mecklenburg County is blue,scroll down to Mecklenburg County and for fun compare to Union County oour neighbopr to the south. Meck is surroundee by a sea of red. South Charlotte, and the Old south Charlotte, is definitely Red state.

Interestingly all the state politics remain Democratic, which they've been since the 1800's. But in Presidential elections, every since Nixon's "Southern" stratedy, they vote R for President.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchguy11 View Post
Well the Charlotte Republican deal is wrong- Mecklenburg County is blue,scroll down to Mecklenburg County and for fun compare to Union County oour neighbopr to the south. Meck is surroundee by a sea of red. South Charlotte, and the Old south Charlotte, is definitely Red state.

Interestingly all the state politics remain Democratic, which they've been since the 1800's. But in Presidential elections, every since Nixon's "Southern" stratedy, they vote R for President.
Party affiliation doesn't mean much in North Carolina as opposed to political ideology. There are Democrats and then there are Southern Democrats. I don't see much common ground between the two. It seems NC's registered Democrats do not support the current ideology of the national party. Registered Republicans in NC are only around 35% of registered voters according to the State Board of Elections.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 PM
RDU

40 posts, read 140,612 times
I would have to contradict your statement about southern democrats and the democratic party. John Edwards' Home is located in the Triangle and Chapel Hill, Carboro and Durham are very liberal.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:17 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDU View Post
I would have to contradict your statement about southern democrats and the democratic party. John Edwards' Home is located in the Triangle and Chapel Hill, Carboro and Durham are very liberal.
I agree, but I was talking about the statewide Democratic Party.

Although NC's own John Edwards was on the ticket in 2004, Kerry-Edwards was still unable to turn that into a NC win. A favorite son on a presidential ticket, in a state in which the majority of registered voters are of the same party and the ticket still fails by a wide margin. That's lots of NC Democrats voting Republican in 2004. To me, that indicates a a serious disconnect between the national party and its NC membership.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchguy11 View Post

North Carolina Republican Leaders
former
Governor Martin
Late Senator Jesse Helms ooo I shiver just typing that out but definite
current
US Senator Elisabeth Dole
US Senator Richard Burr

US Representative Robin Hayes
US Representative Sue Myrick
US Representative Patrick McHenry
US Representative Howard Coble
US Representative Virginia Foxx

Republican State Senator for the county of Wake
District 17 is Senator Richard Stevens
Republican State Senator for the county of Wake
District 15 Senator Neal Hunt
other Republican Senators North Carolina Republican Party (broken link)

Republican NC House of Representatives
Rep. J. Russell Capps for Wake County District 41
Rep. Nelson Dollar for Wake County District 36
Rep. Paul Stam for Wake County District 37
other Republican Representatives North Carolina Republican Party (broken link)

Old 09-20-2007, 05:13 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
I noticed that in the 2004 Election there were about 15,000 or so more voters in Wake county then Mecklenburg, even though Meck has more population. I wonder if that's because less people came out to vote there, or if Wake has more people of voting age, or a combination of both or other factors?

Old 09-21-2007, 07:12 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
SunnyKayak, You are probably shivering about Brother Jesse because he used to be a Democrat. I have seen a couple of County Commissioners in Union County change parties also. Reason: A Democrat in Union County now has a slim to non possibility of getting elected. The abortion issue and some other not to mention social issues has caused party changes also. I think it is a matter of Christian values ruling over party. That is why a lot of N. C. Democrats move over to Republican Presidential choices. A lot of N. C. Democrats are very to ultra conservative Democrats. This is the Bible belt.

Who said the colleges were better in Raleigh? Maybe more established, but I expect UNCC to surpass all of them with the support from the business commuinity in Charlotte.
My daughter went to UNCC and my son NC State. My daughter started out at East Carolina and after we had already paid for her second semester she said "I can't go back to that place, those people are crazy???" She was in the art school and changed to Business Administration at UNCC.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:09 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
SunnyKayak, You are probably shivering about Brother Jesse because he used to be a Democrat. I have seen a couple of County Commissioners in Union County change parties also. Reason: A Democrat in Union County now has a slim to non possibility of getting elected. The abortion issue and some other not to mention social issues has caused party changes also. I think it is a matter of Christian values ruling over party. That is why a lot of N. C. Democrats move over to Republican Presidential choices. A lot of N. C. Democrats are very to ultra conservative Democrats. This is the Bible belt.

Who said the colleges were better in Raleigh? Maybe more established, but I expect UNCC to surpass all of them with the support from the business commuinity in Charlotte.
My daughter went to UNCC and my son NC State. My daughter started out at East Carolina and after we had already paid for her second semester she said "I can't go back to that place, those people are crazy???" She was in the art school and changed to Business Administration at UNCC.
Aren't people at every art school crazy? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina