Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 PM

74 posts, read 152,226 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been very interested in checking out the state parks. I've been to a few such as Pilot mountain, hanging rock, lake norman, chimney rock park, grandfather mountain, and a few out in the beach when I was younger. It would be cool to get everyones input to their favorite state parks and why they're your favorite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 06:53 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,757,849 times
There is a decent app on nc state parks for iPad.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:21 PM

74 posts, read 152,226 times
I have the app actually, its my main source of ideas for now

Old 07-13-2015, 07:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,612,745 times
Nice thread and I like your picks. This would be a good bucket list to visit all the state parks.
I do have to commend the state in nicest, cleanliness, and ease of use of parks I have visited.
Below is my likes and I'm referring to the state parks within destination.
Stone Mountain and Gorges are my favorite next to Mt. Mitchell.
I agree on Hanging Rock, even though I haven't used them but those cabins look cute.
I like all what Pilot Mountain offers.
Grandfather Mountain is OK .
Same with South Mountain, I wished it offer more but the option to either take rugged or gradual incline to top is nice.
I loved experiencing coastal habitat on trails of Carolina Beach State Park, from the state symbols, the long leaf pine to the venus fly trap.
Ft Fisher state park , I just used parking lot to go to beach
Last speaking of expierencing sand,never thought I should give state credit is maintaining Jockeys Ridge, It just dawn on.me it more than sand dunes but the plant life that helps the dunes from eroding away. I like getting in the middle, feels like an oasis.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:08 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,175,438 times
As you've discovered, NC has a great state parks system. One thing that makes it so great is the wide variety of environments they represent--mountains, lakes, rivers, eastern pine forests and cypress swamps, beaches, etc. Collectively they are a fantastic resource that costs little to nothing to enjoy. We are very fortunate to live in a state that offers such diversity.

I've been to about 3/4 of them, and it's hard to say I have a favorite because they are all excellent places to visit. Hanging Rock is definitely a favorite though, in part because it's a short drive from where I live so I have more opportunities to take advantage of it. I'm also partial to the eastern cypress swamps as I grew up just a few miles Chalk Banks on the Lumber River, so the Lumber River and Merchants Millpond parks are favorites. The Lumber River State Park covers many miles of the river and provides a number of access points. It's very relaxing to take a canoe trip on its gentle-flowing black water. Of course, the mountain-area parks are fantastic for their hiking opportunities and incredible views.

I also think it's amazing that we have fantastic parks sort of hidden in or near the most populated areas of our state: Eno River, Occoneechee, and Umstead in the Triangle (in addition to the lake parks at Falls and Jordan lakes); Haw River, Mayo River, Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock in the Triad; and Morrow Mountain, Crowders Mountain, and Lake Norman in the Charlotte area. It's great to have such wonderful recreational opportunities so close to our largest cities.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:14 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,885,540 times
I took a rather large group of people to DuPont State Park for a day in a week filled with a trip of whitewater rafting, The Biltmore, and Lake Lure.

ALL of them said it was their favorite day of the trip. And it was Free.

If you go, be sure to walk out on the Triple Falls.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:48 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,757,849 times
DuPont gets LOTS of very enthusiastic reviews.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:44 PM

186 posts, read 334,563 times
Not to get too picky (but look at my username...), actually DuPont is a "State Recreational Forest" and is managed by the North Carolina Forest Service, as a recreational, demonstration, and working forest....Including timber harvesting, prescribed fire, stream restoration projects, and hunting. It is not a State Park. DuPont does not have overnight camping, hookups, cabins, or other facilities like most State Parks do. In fact DuPont has way more trails than any State Park, and it's proving to be a problem -- too many people are "loving it to death" and causing erosion on the trails, damage to vegetation, littering, and trespassing onto adjoining private land. Not enough Rangers or Foresters to patrol the whole place.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:39 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,885,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
Not to get too picky (but look at my username...), actually DuPont is a "State Recreational Forest" and is managed by the North Carolina Forest Service, as a recreational, demonstration, and working forest....Including timber harvesting, prescribed fire, stream restoration projects, and hunting. It is not a State Park. DuPont does not have overnight camping, hookups, cabins, or other facilities like most State Parks do. In fact DuPont has way more trails than any State Park, and it's proving to be a problem -- too many people are "loving it to death" and causing erosion on the trails, damage to vegetation, littering, and trespassing onto adjoining private land. Not enough Rangers or Foresters to patrol the whole place.
Well...much of that was because it lacked pretty much any infrastructure at all...which when I was there a few years ago seemed to be getting corrected to some extent.

I think its great it doesnt have camping and such...it should just be a day trip.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:56 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,508,995 times
Hanging Rock is one I probably visit at most twice a year. It's not really the mountains but it's close enough, definitely for a day trip from Raleigh. If I lived in the Triad, I'd probably visit even more frequently. It gives you everything you'd want, from campsites, cabins, waterfalls, lakes, and spectacular views from the rock itself. You can see the skyline of Winston-Salem, and even Greensboro if the day is clear. On the other side, you have a nice view of the mountains right over the Virginia border.

Raven Rock is a good one not too far from Raleigh. I always visit when I want something more rural that isn't terribly far. It beats Umstead, which is nice but isn't much besides a great big pine forest. Still, I'm not complaining because I have nightmares of Umstead being torn down for more sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina