Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 03:41 PM

231 posts, read 234,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Yes; Reynolds in Winston and Grimsley in Greensboro are like Broughton in Raleigh or Myers Park in Charlotte.
I went to Page HS in G'boro and I can assure you going to Grimsley wasn't a thing, in any good way, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 03:50 PM

771 posts, read 624,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxton Bagpipes View Post
Hope Valley is THE old money neighborhood in Durham.
How old is Hope Valley?

Last edited by costellopresley82; 03-10-2021 at 04:01 PM..

Old 03-10-2021, 08:22 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
How old is Hope Valley?
"OG" Hope Valley was largely built up in the 1920s-40s (though much newer infill is also a decent chunk of the housing stock there now) and includes many $1million+ estates. Old Tobacco money and Duke Endowment families. There are actually two mansions built in the 1930s on the market in Hope Valley right now...

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...il/M6202877527

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...il/M5786762344

There are quite a few neighborhoods in the surrounding vicinity that use "Hope Valley" as part of their name(most notably Hope Valley Farms) that are more typical 70s-2000s middle/upper-middle class suburban-type neighborhoods but wanted to get some of that name-brand recognition from the Old Money Hope Valley.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 03-10-2021 at 08:31 PM..

Old 03-11-2021, 02:18 AM

231 posts, read 234,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
How old is Hope Valley?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_V...North_Carolina

Old 03-11-2021, 04:34 PM

515 posts, read 252,614 times
Myers Park is the obvious one for Charlotte. Lot of status and money flowing through there, and it's where a bunch of old money people live. Myers Park High has educated entire families in this area too. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to push back when CMS inevitably changes the attendance zone to account for overcrowding...

Old 03-12-2021, 06:08 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,596,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Longmeadow and Rock Springs areas of Greenville.
I’d add Brook Valley - though it’s waned a bit - and Lynndale as well.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:28 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'd love to hear more about these old money parts of NC's smaller and sometimes dying towns. Are they intact and thriving? Are they in decline? Essentially, what's come of them in the last century?
It kinda depends on the town itself...

Old 03-17-2021, 05:18 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
Myers Park is the obvious one for Charlotte. Lot of status and money flowing through there, and it's where a bunch of old money people live. Myers Park High has educated entire families in this area too. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to push back when CMS inevitably changes the attendance zone to account for overcrowding...
My friends while in college also went in large numbers to Charlotte Country Day School.

Those words "country day" often translate to rich, private school from what I've seen in many cities.

Ravenscroft in Raleigh would be equivalent, but Broughton, which is a public high school, probably is the most desired of all in Wake County.

Inside the Beltline, old money fills that school up.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:23 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The funny thing is that having moved to Raleigh as I was entering junior high in Raleigh, and living in north Raleigh, I didn't even know that going to Broughton was a "thing" either. LOL
They must have not been so arrogant as they were in the 80's.

I've never met such a solidly smug group of people as those who went to Broughton High. They were extremely homophobic and acted like they were the greatest gift to mankind had ever existed.

I wonder if the view of a small-city skyline from campus ever had anything to do with that.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:12 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
They must have not been so arrogant as they were in the 80's.

I've never met such a solidly smug group of people as those who went to Broughton High. They were extremely homophobic and acted like they were the greatest gift to mankind had ever existed.

I wonder if the view of a small-city skyline from campus ever had anything to do with that.
ITB in general is probably the most "elite" and cliquey "old money" enclave in the state honestly. Smug isn't quite the word I'd use...but the airs and pretense are definitely there. Only Chapel Hill comes close within the Triangle and it has a much more transient population so the "pedigree" isn't as much of a thing as it is "ITB".

Another interesting aspect of it is that even most of what is technically "ITB"....doesn't "count". East of Mordecai or Oakwood and/or south of Western Blvd/MLK.....you are out of the club.

Athens & Enloe High Schools are both is technically "ITB"....remind a Broughton Alum that and they'll have a visceral reaction lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina