Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 06:12 AM

515 posts, read 252,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
My friends while in college also went in large numbers to Charlotte Country Day School.

Those words "country day" often translate to rich, private school from what I've seen in many cities.

Ravenscroft in Raleigh would be equivalent, but Broughton, which is a public high school, probably is the most desired of all in Wake County.

Inside the Beltline, old money fills that school up.
yep... there's Charlotte Country Day, I guess Foxcroft isn't necessarily old money, there's Providence Day, which is in the same vein, but Lansdowne isn't old money either. Charlotte Latin is also similar, and Raintree isn't old money, but Providence Plantation could possibly be considered old money too. I'd probably guess MP is more desirable than any of those schools though, because you have to pay upwards of 20 grand a year to go there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 09:29 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
ITB in general is probably the most "elite" and cliquey "old money" enclave in the state honestly. Smug isn't quite the word I'd use...but the airs and pretense are definitely there. Only Chapel Hill comes close within the Triangle and it has a much more transient population so the "pedigree" isn't as much of a thing as it is "ITB".

Another interesting aspect of it is that even most of what is technically "ITB"....doesn't "count". East of Mordecai or Oakwood and/or south of Western Blvd/MLK.....you are out of the club.

Athens & Enloe High Schools are both is technically "ITB"....remind a Broughton Alum that and they'll have a visceral reaction lol.
What's funny is that last year on a roadtrip up I-85 I stopped at QuikTrip for gas in Gaffney, SC. I noticed a mother and two teenage boys at the pumps who were wearing t-shirts that said Sanderson High.

i got all excited and started talking about the high schools and rivalry in Raleigh, and the 40 ish blonde mother looked at me with the notion of "we aren't good for talking about this stuff, we're recent transplants from NY.

What a let down, but the boys did say they hated Broughton and that it sucked, lol.

Wake County is full of people who are new and clueless about any of the area]s history,. They'll make their own though now.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
What's funny is that last year on a roadtrip up I-85 I stopped at QuikTrip for gas in Gaffney, SC. I noticed a mother and two teenage boys at the pumps who were wearing t-shirts that said Sanderson High.

i got all excited and started talking about the high schools and rivalry in Raleigh, and the 40 ish blonde mother looked at me with the notion of "we aren't good for talking about this stuff, we're recent transplants from NY.

What a let down, but the boys did say they hated Broughton and that it sucked, lol.

Wake County is full of people who are new and clueless about any of the area]s history,. They'll make their own though now.
My family moved with IBM to Raleigh in 1974 and we bought a house in North Ridge in north Raleigh. At the time realtors simply didn't show outsiders property ITB; it simply was an unwritten rule. My family looked at homes across a swath that started at MacGregor downs in Cary and rotated clockwise around to North Ridge in north Raleigh: all of which was outside the Beltline. These neighborhoods included Oak Park, Brookhaven, Quail Hollow, Coachman's Trail, Springdale, etc....all professional class new subdivisions at the time. I went to Millbrook and our main rival was Sanderson. At that time, neither school gave one ounce of consideration to anything south of North Hills or east of Crabtree. The Broughton students may have felt superior to everyone else in the city but we didn't know crap about all that hoity-toity.
Ironically, I now own a condo where I can see Broughton's bell tower from my terrace, and I still haven't stepped foot on that campus.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
My family moved with IBM to Raleigh in 1974 and we bought a house in North Ridge in north Raleigh. At the time realtors simply didn't show outsiders property ITB; it simply was an unwritten rule. My family looked at homes across a swath that started at MacGregor downs in Cary and rotated clockwise around to North Ridge in north Raleigh: all of which was outside the Beltline. These neighborhoods included Oak Park, Brookhaven, Quail Hollow, Coachman's Trail, Springdale, etc....all professional class new subdivisions at the time. I went to Millbrook and our main rival was Sanderson. At that time, neither school gave one ounce of consideration to anything south of North Hills or east of Crabtree. The Broughton students may have felt superior to everyone else in the city but we didn't know crap about all that hoity-toity.
Ironically, I now own a condo where I can see Broughton's bell tower from my terrace, and I still haven't stepped foot on that campus.
Yes I wish the developers would build more all brick homes like those on Haymarket Ln. near North Ridge Country Club because the areas you were talking about still look great, and I'm worried about what this new stuff is going to look like in 30 years. It won't age well.

Ask for all brick folks! Not brick fronts but all 4 sides!

Old 03-26-2021, 06:11 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Quote:
Yes I wish the developers would build more all brick homes like those on Haymarket Ln. near North Ridge Country Club because the areas you were talking about still look great, and I'm worried about what this new stuff is going to look like in 30 years. It won't age well.

Ask for all brick folks! Not brick fronts but all 4 sides!
Ha.....if you think home prices, especially for new construction, are skyrocketing now.....wait until you see what they'd be like if these things were all brick!

Old 03-28-2021, 06:36 AM

771 posts, read 624,457 times
Some of the ITB neighborhoods look pretty strange right now because they're a mix of older homes from the first half of the 20th century and "McMansions" literally built within the past 20 years or so. I'm not a fan, give me the older homes any day of the week.

Funny enough, North Hills could be described as "old money" in this day and age.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Some of the ITB neighborhoods look pretty strange right now because they're a mix of older homes from the first half of the 20th century and "McMansions" literally built within the past 20 years or so. I'm not a fan, give me the older homes any day of the week.

Funny enough, North Hills could be described as "old money" in this day and age.
Tying back to the previous posts that mentioned Broughton High School, when North Hills flipped from Sanderson to Broughton, it was if somehow the neighborhood slipped inside the Beltline. I think that it has since flipped back to Sanderson, but the smug already got all over them. LOL.
I think that I am correct about North Hills and its stint with Broughton, but please correct me if I am just remembering incorrectly.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:08 PM

119 posts, read 81,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Tying back to the previous posts that mentioned Broughton High School, when North Hills flipped from Sanderson to Broughton, it was if somehow the neighborhood slipped inside the Beltline. I think that it has since flipped back to Sanderson, but the smug already got all over them. LOL.
I think that I am correct about North Hills and its stint with Broughton, but please correct me if I am just remembering incorrectly.
North Hills has always been Sanderson.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodsonRamseur View Post
North Hills has always been Sanderson.
Is it Lassiter Mill that crosses over the Beltline behind North Hills? I knew several that lived near there who all went to Broughton, but that was in the late 80s.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:52 AM

467 posts, read 426,993 times
Great thread, costello. I made a similar one in the past about the most "beautiful" of these types of neighborhoods in the country in the general US forum. I think a few responses there also mentioned Myers Park and ITB Raleigh, unsurprisingly.

I've come to really appreciate the elegant yet modest/understated older homes in places like ITB a lot. The new post-teardown McMansions replacing them, as someone else mentioned, are so regrettable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina