Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 09:10 PM

241 posts, read 236,754 times

Advertisements

Look into the Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem). They're more blue collar, a lot more affordable, and IMHO offer more "traditional" NC energy but also large enough to access decent amenities. I think people are friendly for the most part. I've met a few people from upstate NY in Greensboro and they seem to like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 12:04 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I also suggest getting a dog and taking him to a dog park. Dogs provide a way for strangers to communicate with each other.
I am thinking small and cute like a beagle, mini doodle or a friendly shelter dog.

Old 02-09-2023, 11:27 AM

376 posts, read 653,112 times
Lol at the getting a dog, wife and I were at a bar and this lady had a small dog, who ran over to us and we talked to her...last we saw she was talking to "the cute guys" (my wife said) so that could work!

Old 02-09-2023, 01:28 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
I agree with others who said the Triad. Greensboro or Winston specifically. Don't try Charlotte, it will be worse- it's actually the reason I picked the Triangle over Charlotte back in 2014 when I moved out of Fayetteville- less snooty.

Old 02-10-2023, 09:58 AM

9 posts, read 18,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Keep in mind you went to an area where some of the top "ranked" Universities in the State are located. The "who are you" mentality runs rampant at those places.

I would say yes, there are. Charlotte and Wilmington are much more diverse as communities, in my opinion. The Triad is more working class. There are military cities in NC. Other college towns. Asheville has its own vibe.

Since you are from out of state, I would not get hooked on the "job market" that brings people to Raleigh and instead go to a community that gives you the feel you are looking for.

If the Raleigh area was all that, you wouldn't see the growth you see along the coast and in Charlotte.
Awesome, thank you! Great feedback. I'll check into Wilmington and the Triad. Planning to take a few weeks and do a little "walk about" in those areas. Thank God for remote work!

Old 02-10-2023, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surenotsure View Post
I've lived in Raleigh for over two years, and visited a lot of neighborhoods, gone to different churches and been involved in several groups. My assessment is that - as a "regular, average" girl with a regular job and basic attire - I do not fit in here. I don't even like going out anymore. The dirty looks, people looking me up and down, no return "hello"s or smiles. I am pretty friendly, and don't get a positive response most of the time - whether I'm walking in the park or at the grocery store. I'm not a bum by any means! But I don't seem to "measure up" to whatever standard is being imposed here. I can usually make friends pretty quickly, and I haven't managed to make a lot of acquaintances or friendships - despite there being a high population. And my rent goes up $200-$300 a month every time I renew my lease. I'm from NY State (think mountains, not city), and work remotely so I can go anywhere. I appreciate NC. I like the weather, the nature, Publix, fun places to visit... but... it's not worth it anymore. Is there any place more "real" and less snooty in North Carolina to live? Possibly cheaper? Thanks!
I moved from Western New York to the Triad (Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem) about 5 1/2 years ago - and would definitely recommend checking it out here. While there are many things to love about Raleigh, I could never live there and certainly feel the sentiment you have shared. In fact - one of the aspects of I still adore most about western and upstate NY is quite simply the authenticity to be found in the people who call it home.

As others here have mentioned - the Triad is more working class than the triangle - though I'd venture to say still more white collar than most of upstate NY (Minus Rochester & Monroe County maybe..) There are many pockets of wealth here; but still deeply genuine and loving people in every income bracket and walk of life.

Above all else - I recommend just getting out and exploring the state. There are so many different personalities and sub-cultures here from mountains to coast; I think that if you get out and test the waters - you'll soon find places and people you adore just as I have.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:16 PM

314 posts, read 179,657 times
If you meet one person who acts like an ass. You've met an ass.

If everyone you meet acts like asses, maybe it's something you're doing.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I also suggest getting a dog and taking him to a dog park. Dogs provide a way for strangers to communicate with each other.
I am thinking small and cute like a beagle, mini doodle or a friendly shelter dog.
Aww yes, that's a great idea. I would like a cute little dog. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
If you meet one person who acts like an ass. You've met an ass.

If everyone you meet acts like asses, maybe it's something you're doing.
I assumed a comment like this was coming. Thanks for taking the time to add your input.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
Look into the Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem). They're more blue collar, a lot more affordable, and IMHO offer more "traditional" NC energy but also large enough to access decent amenities. I think people are friendly for the most part. I've met a few people from upstate NY in Greensboro and they seem to like it.
Awesome, thank you so much! I'm going to check out those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina