Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 02:40 PM

922 posts, read 750,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Wolf Howl is correct. Let's look at some numbers from the United States Census Bureau for the recent period of July 2020 to July 2021. Owen? Of the 15 most populous U.S. cities, 9 (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, San Diego, Dallas, San Jose and Indianapolis), lost population. The other 6 (San Antonio, Phoenix, Fort Worth, Jacksonville, Austin and Columbus, Ohio), experienced either small or moderate to small growth. Honorable mention for San Francisco and Portland, both shedding humans like a dress on prom night. The 15 fastest growing cities or towns? Georgetown, Leander, Braunfels, (all in Texas), Queen Creek Town, Buckeye, Maricopa, Goodyear, Casa Grande, all in Arizona), Northport, Port St. Lucie, Fort Myers (all in Florida), Spring Hill, Tennessee, and Meridian, Caldwell and Nampa (all suburbs of Boise, Idaho. I'll leave you to figure out your Blue versus Red crap. Or more to WH's point, extremist versus moderate. Gotta warn you though, it might take two hands. You'll have to put down the Blue foam finger.
Percentages are meaningless without context. Many of the cities you listed are tiny (Leander, TX has a population of 67,000, lol).

Its really time to drop the attempted obnoxious attitude, no? I just laugh at it, so your desire to **** me off is an epic fail. And I'm far from an extremist, just so you know. Just trying to provide a balanced picture and a touch of truth. Like you, I identify as a moderate democrat. Although I don't see anything moderate out of you, frankly.

Last edited by Owen Wister; 04-29-2023 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Can I help you with your list, Owen, isn't it? You might wanna lower your voice about Nashville. For the time period being discussed, it was 1 of the nation's 12 fastest shrinking large cities.
Wrong. Nashville grew over 20% from 2010 to 2020.

Quote:
North Carolina? Let's face it, most folks are moving here for mild winters, lower taxes and cheaper housing. New Yorkers and Bostonians aren't coming to the Tarheel state for the politics or level of sophistication. Or good pizza. Trust me.
LOL, you need to make up your mind. Upthread you said people move primarily for "economic opportunity", remember? I don't know who "most folks" are...younger people do move for economic opportunity (jobs)...and thats why blue cities, which are generally very economically vibrant, are growing rapidly. And then you have retirees who are flocking to NC, both for the weather, lower COL and the politics. I know most retirees moving to Brunswick County from the NE are republicans, and they continue to vote that way here.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:06 PM

851 posts, read 417,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Percentages are meaningless without context. Many of the cities you listed are tiny (Leander, TX has a population of 67,000, lol).

Its really time to drop the attempted obnoxious attitude, no? I just laugh at it, so your desire to **** me off is an epic fail. And I'm far from an extremist, just so you know. Just trying to provide a balanced picture and a touch of truth. Like you, I identify as a moderate democrat. Although I don't see anything moderate out of you, frankly.
It's Owen, isn't it? I think you mean that percentages are meaningless when they don't fit your own narrative. Take it up with the Census Bureau. Their numbers, not mine.

Last edited by TunedIn; 04-29-2023 at 07:51 PM..

Old 04-29-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:

LOL, you need to make up your mind. Upthread you said people move primarily for "economic opportunity", remember? I don't know who "most folks" are...younger people do move for economic opportunity (jobs)...and thats why blue cities, which are generally very economically vibrant, are growing rapidly. And then you have retirees who are flocking to NC, both for the weather, lower COL and the politics. I know most retirees moving to Brunswick County from the NE are republicans, and they continue to vote that way here.
From July 2020 to July 2021, Nashville was the 12th fastest shrinking city in the country. The party's over, just Google "Nashville exodus".

Old 04-29-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Economic opportunity. Not just making money, but keeping more of it. This encompasses a lower COL, lower taxes and cheaper housing. Duh? As a Northern Liberal, I can assure you that Southern cities in general, and in this instance, North Carolina in particular, don't make a very compelling case for Blue superiority. To many guns and too much crime. Look at a crime map of the country. Do you honestly think New Englanders would be here if it wasn't cheaper? Seriously? I've been voting reliably Democrat since quite possibly before you were born, including Carter and Dukakis, and I can assure you that the thought of a one-party Democratic hegemony is at least as frightening a possibility as a Republican one. A vibrant multi-party political system works best, despite the efforts of the lunatic fringes to tear it down. It's not a WWF match, put the foam finger on ebay. Owen?

Last edited by TunedIn; 04-29-2023 at 08:56 PM..

Old 04-30-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
It's Owen, isn't it? I think you mean that percentages are meaningless when they don't fit your own narrative. Take it up with the Census Bureau. Their numbers, not mine.
LOL, I'm not disputing the percentages, I'm disputing the context you are attempting to place around the percentages. Alternative facts I think thats called.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
From July 2020 to July 2021, Nashville was the 12th fastest shrinking city in the country. The party's over, just Google "Nashville exodus".
Oh yeah, 1 year is for sure a trend. More alternative facts.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Economic opportunity. Not just making money, but keeping more of it. This encompasses a lower COL, lower taxes and cheaper housing. Duh? As a Northern Liberal, I can assure you that Southern cities in general, and in this instance, North Carolina in particular, don't make a very compelling case for Blue superiority. To many guns and too much crime. Look at a crime map of the country. Do you honestly think New Englanders would be here if it wasn't cheaper? Seriously? I've been voting reliably Democrat since quite possibly before you were born, including Carter and Dukakis, and I can assure you that the thought of a one-party Democratic hegemony is at least as frightening a possibility as a Republican one. A vibrant multi-party political system works best, despite the efforts of the lunatic fringes to tear it down. It's not a WWF match, put the foam finger on ebay. Owen?
No idea what this means or how it fits in to anything I've said. Its just a nutsy word salad from someone with nothing real to say.

Your age, my age, how long we've voted, who we've voted for...none of that is in any way relevant. Again, why don't you just stick with the discussion and stop the juvenile personal attacks. I have voted for many republicans, I don't seek a one party democratic hegemony, and I agree the lunatics of both sides are awful. Unfortunately, the lunatic republicans are firmly in control of their party and they are destroying this country. What we actually need is a viable 3 or 4 party system that would force compromise.

Old 04-30-2023, 09:09 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
No idea what this means or how it fits in to anything I've said.
Its just a nutsy word salad from someone with nothing real to say.
Nah. He's making plenty of sense but he could do with some editing help.

Quote:
Economic opportunity. Not just making money, but keeping more of it.
This encompasses a lower COL, lower taxes and cheaper housing. Duh?

As a Northern Liberal, I can assure you that Southern cities in general, and in this instance,
North Carolina in particular, don't make a very compelling case for Blue superiority.

Do you honestly think New Englanders would be here if it wasn't cheaper? Seriously?
I've been voting reliably Democrat since quite possibly before you were born, including Carter and Dukakis,
and I can assure you that the thought of a one-party Democratic hegemony is at least as frightening a possibility as a Republican one.

A vibrant multi-party political system works best, despite the efforts of the lunatic fringes to tear it down.
It's not a WWF match, put the foam finger on ebay. Owen?

(Non-sequitur?)
Too many guns and too much crime.
Look at a crime map of the country.

Old 04-30-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
No idea what this means or how it fits in to anything I've said. Its just a nutsy word salad from someone with nothing real to say.

Your age, my age, how long we've voted, who we've voted for...none of that is in any way relevant. Again, why don't you just stick with the discussion and stop the juvenile personal attacks. I have voted for many republicans, I don't seek a one party democratic hegemony, and I agree the lunatics of both sides are awful. Unfortunately, the lunatic republicans are firmly in control of their party and they are destroying this country. What we actually need is a viable 3 or 4 party system that would force compromise.
Let's distill it down then. Owen? A statement was made putting forth that people were leaving large U.S. cities with Left leaning leadership and policies for more moderate locations. I buttressed this claim with the most recent empirical data from the United States Census Bureau showing nine of the most populous of these cities actually LOSING population in the most recent one year period with available data. San Fransisco, Portland, St. Louis, Nashville and Baltimore also shed population but fell outside the parameters of the Census Bureau release. And this is particulary relevant as we're talking about the here and now, not the 10 year period from 2010-2020. If the present doesn't fit your narrative, fall back on the past? Think that Mays kid is gonna stick? We can't be certain, but my guess is that this particular trend started toward the end of the last full census period as the cities in question began to deteriorate under permissive Liberal leadership. The fact that the fastest GROWING cities and towns were in fact far more moderate may be considered circumstantial but in my opinion, can only further substantiate the claim. Not to mention the fact that...well....it makes sense. Is it surprising that a disregard for, and a restraint of, law enforcement in general has not only fostered a climate of lawlessness and discord, but actually emboldened the criminal element? The causal mechanism is clear and the results entirely predictable. In Chicago, in Baltimore, in Portland, in San Francisco, in New Orleans, in Indianapolis and many others. Does it really strain credibility that folks are bailing for less extreme political climates? Honestly? And speaking of "nothing real to say", your reply is.......wait, it can't be......percentages don't matter....alternative facts...Blue cities are vibrant and growing....Republicans are ruining everything. The only things you forgot were "fake news" and "systemic racism". In my opinion, if the Democratic Party doesn't toughen up on crime and lawlessness, as well as reign in the Progressive wackos we'll be paying a steep price politically in the very near future. Rumor has it that a new James Bond movie is in production. 007 is tasked with taking back the country from political extremists. The working title is said to be....... "Foamfinger".

Last edited by TunedIn; 04-30-2023 at 12:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina