Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 03:56 PM

9 posts, read 6,376 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I hope all is well and some of you experienced people can give me your humble opinion about moving to North Carolina. I’ll try to give as much details as possible. I’m looking for a crime free area much as possible for myself.

I’m a woman in my sixties, single with no pets yet ( May get an Akita) no kids, non- smoker. A woman of color looking to live a quiet life for the rest of my remaining years. I enjoy hobbies of skating, jump roping, sewing, crouched, arts & crafts. I travel and I am religious. I don’t have many friends and would like to keep that way. I find the less people you have in your life, the less problems you have. But I do come from a large family.

I’m currently in Florida, it’s too crowded, road rage can get out of hand. What used to be a ten minute drive to store down the street in now a forty minute drive. I work from home with my current employer, but the job requires living in Florida. However, I am in the healthcare field currently seeking jobs for a new medical coder position. I’ll be certified in a few months.

I would be interested in a senior living community. I have searched online, but I’m not sure of the nice cities in N.C. I think all cities are nice depending on what you’re looking to get out of it. Me, personally I just want solitude. I like visiting museum’s, flea-markets, arts shows, musical broadway plays, beaches, movies.

So hopefully I’ve given you some input as to what I like to do that any and all recommendations will be considered. Just looking for a little guidance. Than you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 10:29 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Pretty Red View Post
I would be interested in a senior living community. I have searched online, but I’m not sure of the nice cities in N.C. I think all cities are nice depending on what you’re looking to get out of it. Me, personally I just want solitude. I like visiting museum’s, flea-markets, arts shows, musical broadway plays, beaches, movies.
I suggest the suburbs of Charlotte, but far enough out that houses are separated a bit. The Charlotte area has many 55+ communities, unfortunately the they tend to be houses closely packed together. You might look at 55places.com to find places in your price range. The Mooresville area is on place to look, as well as the nearby South Carolina towns like Fort Mill and Indian Land.

The Triangle area is also nice for museums and theater. The Durham area has proportionally more people of color. Besides the senior communities, you might look for single story houses with a bit more land.

I also like the Winston-Salem area. It has a medical school, and many heath-care jobs. That may help you find a medical coder postion.

Those areas are a long way from beaches, but you can plan a trip of several days when you want beach time.

Old 06-20-2023, 05:12 AM

3 posts, read 3,491 times
North Carolina is pretty crowded to these days and a lot
of aggressive drivers!
Maybe a town like Laurinburg or Southern Pines would work.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:26 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
Sun City Carolina Lakes in the Charlotte suburb may be a nice fit.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:38 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Sun City Carolina Lakes in the Charlotte suburb may be a nice fit.
No solitude in a large 55 community.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:41 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
OP How about Southport? The beaches are nice, and it is an artsy town, with some nice restaurants. There are some smaller communities in that area, they might not be over 55, but are mostly retirees.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:36 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I suggest the suburbs of Charlotte, but far enough out that houses are separated a bit. The Charlotte area has many 55+ communities, unfortunately the they tend to be houses closely packed together. You might look at 55places.com to find places in your price range. The Mooresville area is on place to look, as well as the nearby South Carolina towns like Fort Mill and Indian Land.

The Triangle area is also nice for museums and theater. The Durham area has proportionally more people of color. Besides the senior communities, you might look for single story houses with a bit more land.

I also like the Winston-Salem area. It has a medical school, and many heath-care jobs. That may help you find a medical coder postion.

Those areas are a long way from beaches, but you can plan a trip of several days when you want beach time.

If she's not a fan of traffic and road rage I would definitely not look at Mooresville, personally. No solitude here either. LOL

Communities around Winston Salem might be an option. Mocksville, Advance, Yadkin/Surry county areas as well. More solitude or space without people in it at a minimum, safe and I've never thought traffic was especially terrible there either.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:45 AM

340 posts, read 295,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Pretty Red View Post
I’m currently in Florida, it’s too crowded, road rage can get out of hand.!

No different here

Old 06-21-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

Hi, thank you for sharing that information I really appreciate it. A 55+ Community is what I’m interested in. I don’t need to be near the beaches. Lately many people have been attack my sharks. I’ll take my chances in the pool☺️

I also don’t need to be in a predominantly colored neighborhood. I genuinely love people of all races and color. I just prefer my own space at times. However, I will check out the cities mentioned. Once again, thank you

Old 06-21-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
No different here
I will keep that mind and try to stay off the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina