Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too many are PC View Post
Personally, I would recommend NC to no one except those who feel good when a bureaucratic nightmare bears down on them.
Dozeberrypillboy, just give it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
Default Moving to No.Carolina

I have lived in NH all my life. To be honest never even thought about moving out of state. I have been told that it is beautiful, not so fast paced and people are nice and friendly. I am looking to live in a nice smaller town but also close enough to be able to find a decent job. My son is also graduating in November and may have a job opportunitythere. I would also have to move my mother down once we got settled. I don't know if No.Carolina is my dream place but for some reason I feel like I am being pulled in that direction. I have worked for the State of NH for 12 years in Human Services in varying areas. I do enjoy helping people but I would like to meet new people, make new friends and enjoy life. I know nothing about the state so I am looking for direction. Like what is the economy like? Would I be able to obtain employment fairly quickly?
I so want the lighter side of life. Maybe its all a pipe dream but I want it all the same. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Looking for some guidance.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 PM

9 posts, read 10,263 times
I live in MN and the reason I want to move is to live closer to family. Also housing is cheaper and I can enjoy warmer weather for more than two months. Winters are far bearable too.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:16 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Piedmont Plateau Region

Piedmont by itself does not refer to the Triad...poppydog is exactly right, it is sometime referred to as the Piedmont Triad, but Piedmont always has the Triad part preceding it.
I grew up in the Triad, but we called it the "Piedmont" when referring to WS & Greensboro. That is how we self-identified, and it wasn't until adulthood that I realized that the Piedmont is a much more extensive area. But when I went to school in NC, education was ranked at the bottom -- we used to joke that Guam was ahead of NC secondary schools. Ignorance was embraced.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:31 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times
It is! I think it's interesting to know.

Of course people have expectations, some based on stereotypical information or movies. Some are realistic and some are not. Sometimes people don't know how much they will miss home, wherever that is!

Old 07-10-2013, 04:20 PM

49 posts, read 162,900 times
I'm moving because the taxes, cost of living, laws, deer hunting, and political climate are much, much better than NY.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:56 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmon10 View Post
I am looking to live on a creek or river, and in a secluded location. Can
I get a few tips or things to watch for, coming from Louisiana things may be easy for me to overlook whe buying a place. I am a country bug and I do love fishing and tubeing. Thanks!

You'd probably love Eastern NC. New Bern, Pamlico County, etc.

Last edited by escapenc; 07-11-2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 03:27 PM

80 posts, read 370,412 times
It's just on my list of places to look. I live by the shore in NJ right now and taxes are between $8,000-$10,000 a year. It's far too expensive. I want to build my own home but can't find much land and that which is available is $350,000 and up just for a lot. I have a great teaching job with a great salary but the overcrowding, traffic and even the crowded beaches are too much for me. I'm finding that I don't even go to the beach because they are so crowded and finding parking is a headache. Everyone is in a rush here on the roads and while I realize that teachers probably have it great in NJ compared to the South (although it is getting worse and worse here), I'm just keeping NC on my list of places to look. It wasn't on the list until recently when I started to warm up to the idea. I want to live near the water. Unfortunately, NC has far more severe weather than NJ in terms of tornados and hurricanes.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:21 PM

12 posts, read 22,013 times
We are considering a relocation to the Chapel Hill area from Chesapeake VA. My husband works from home and we can live anywhere. We love that in the greater Raleigh area there are people from all over, good mix. Weather isn't different enough to matter, but we do love being closer to the mountains. We'd move to Portland OR if we could, so green and outdoorsy with an urban edge, but we have so much family on the East Coast it doesn't make sense for us to go so far (not to mention the lack of sunshine would be a bummer). We're also eager to live in a community where at least some people want to put down roots, we're in a military community and it's hard to say goodbye to the majority of our friends every year. There's tons to do for families (have you ever compared the VA Children's Museum to Marbles in Raleigh-- no contest). Not to mention all the pools with water slides and activities. We also love that Carrboro had a crunchy scene, seems down to earth, anything goes. We're outdoorsy too. Just have a sense this area offers more in line with our values than other "suburban communities." Not to mention we're currently paying more than our mortgage each month for our boys to attend private preschool and public schools here are really rough-- strong school system is a must and much of NC has that going for it too. Yep, it's a no brainer for us as well. If we can swing it financially in selling our home here, where the marketing hasn't rebounded as well, then we're excited to relocate. There will be things we miss I know, no place is perfect, but we're ready for an adventure and taking a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina