Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Used to live in a subdivision near Charlotte. As soon as it got the least bit cool, the copperheads would descend on the paved roads in the evening, to gather warmth.

This was prime "walk around the neighborhood" weather and I used to warn folks, all the time, to be very careful.
Yes, this exactly . I have seen more than one copperhead in the evening in the middle of the road in my neighborhood while walking the dogs.

What part of NC are you in Native_Son? I'm in Chapel Hill and they're very common here in the Piedmont. I see them every summer, but luckily have never been bitten myself, but my inquisitive dogs have.

The bites are not as bad for dogs. One got bit on the face and it swelled up quite a bit. The vet gave antibiotics and kept him for the day while I was out of town and the spouse was at work, but he felt fine by the end of the day. The other dog (younger and bigger and stronger) got bit on a Friday night and rather than take her to the emergency vet I called a friend who is a vet and got her advice. By the next morning the dog was fine. She's a super exuberant dog, but was very subdued right after the bite. I think it really hurt at the time, but their bodies process the venom much better than humans do. She was back to her crazy self the next morning.

The people that I know that have gotten bitten have had horrible pain and swelling sometimes resulting in surgery to prevent nerve damage. The bite is not typically life threatening so doctors don't use anti-venin as much because it comes with its own set of potential problems.

The copperheads would really rather avoid you, though, so if you just use common sense and don't stick your hands and feet in places w/o looking, wear shoes while taking the trash out in the evening (that's how one friend got bitten—stepped on it barefooted), and take a flashlight while going for those evening strolls through the neighborhood, they'll scurry away as soon as they know you're coming, unlike the mosquitoes and ticks that actively seek you out to nibble on.

This site is also a good resource for snake facts: http://sites.naturalsciences.org/faqs/snake.html

Last edited by poppydog; 04-14-2013 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina