Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 PM

9 posts, read 22,003 times

Advertisements

How would a white-collar 30-year-old male go about meeting new people and forging friendships in the Bismarck area?

A friend of mine moved there last year and is frustrated that he hasn't met any nice normal people that are interested in hanging out, watching sports, coming over for dinner (he's a great cook!), etc. I would like to give him some suggestions on meeting people, but I live in a "big city" so my social scene is a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times
Hi

I would strongly recommend looking into the Bismarck Jaycees chapter. I was about 30 ish when I lived near Ann Arbor Michigan and new to that area and I joined. It was a great group of young professionals, who have fun but also love to give back to the community through fundraising.

Bismarck, ND Jaycees

The Jaycees is a national organization and most every medium to large city has a chapter and some small towns do. Sizes of each chapter varies. Age range is mostly 25 to 39....you age out at 40.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:45 AM

394 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Bismarck-Mandan Young Professional Network » HOME

Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolisite View Post
How would a white-collar 30-year-old male go about meeting new people and forging friendships in the Bismarck area?

A friend of mine moved there last year and is frustrated that he hasn't met any nice normal people that are interested in hanging out, watching sports, coming over for dinner (he's a great cook!), etc. I would like to give him some suggestions on meeting people, but I live in a "big city" so my social scene is a no-brainer.

I live in Bismarck, 35 yr old single, professional, athletic female. I'm wondering how to meet people here too. I like doing just about any activity. It's just near impossible to meet people our age here... contact me at breeze8084@yahoo.com

Old 03-24-2012, 02:35 AM

155 posts, read 421,145 times
I'm 30 I live in Bismarck, we've been here for 2 years and still really haven't met anybody. I'm looking for an office job so if I get hired somewhere I spose it will be easier to meet people. It's not easy finding an office job here, jeebus it's taking forever to find something.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post
Is there anything like that for the Fargo area?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:37 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Is there anything like that for the Fargo area?
Yes....

Chamber of Commerce

This is the main young professional's website for the state which lists cities with organizations....
North Dakota Young Professionals Network

Also dont forget the Jaycess....I was a member for a number of years in other cities (Ann Arbor MI, Springfield MO, and here in Grand Forks ND) before aging out at 40. It is a great organization....that does a lot of service work.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
I was a Jaycee Woman...which became Dickinson Women of Today.....It was lots of good healthy family related charity and community work. Singles fit in fine too. Church, there might be darts, pool leagues, baseball, volleyball in summer...Check the bulletin boards. And, don't be afraid to start some sort of group too. There are probably folks out there just like you.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 PM

32 posts, read 83,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in Bismarck View Post
I live in Bismarck, 35 yr old single, professional, athletic female. I'm wondering how to meet people here too. I like doing just about any activity. It's just near impossible to meet people our age here... contact me at breeze8084@yahoo.com
Funny, I know a couple of mid 20's, 30's and 40s professional guys who say the same thing about finding others (especially women). My wife and I have weird changing schedules that do not allow for normal socializing, but we've met four couples who we've become very close to in the last 1 1/2 years. I'm not sure what the answer is but I would suggest just finding a group that does the type of activities you enjoy. Political groups (join or volunteer at the state HQ's), running/biking clubs, hunting clubs, shooting clubs, craft classes, bowling clubs, etc... those are just the first ones that came to mind and I'm sure there are others.

Get involved with the community, for example Riverbound Farm - Home is a local organic Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm just south of Mandan. Get involved with something like this; I believe the CSA had close to 100 members last year and are hoping for more this year. We met all kinds of people while gathering our veggies, but our schedule is busy enough without trying to maintain a bunch of relationships. There are a bunch of friendly folks here, we just don't have enough time to develop relationships with all the nice people we meet!

Maybe I should start an introduction service for professionals in the Bis/Man area...apparently I could make a killing!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 8,539 times
I'm 25 and it has been a serious struggle to meet anyone in Bismarck. I moved here in August and travel a lot for my work. I've tried Young Professionals and I even work for a college. The problem is that I keep meeting the wrong kind of people - college students or cliques who aren't interested in new members. I would love to make some friends in the area, preferably normal and fun lol And probably people who are also struggling to meet new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota