Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 15,854 times

Advertisements

In regard to running trucks in ND, either owner-operator or driving for a company, there is money to be made out there but it isn't easy. If you are driving for a company and it looks like you are making a lot of money for them, you're not. You are coming out the best in the deal without the risk of the company that's paying you. Everything is extremely costly and prices are really jacked up and everyone is trying to take advantage of the next guy. If you go out there with your truck or trucks be prepared to live in the truck (and you'll be paying for a place to park the truck) and cover your expenses for 4-6 weeks or more before getting paid and hoping all along you WILL get paid. It is extremely hard on trucks and trailers and time is of essence. If you are running by the hour some companies will adjust your hours as they see fit if they think of a reason. It's dangerous there now and if they ever start paying by the load there is an abundance of idiots that will really make it unsafe. There are slow times too and no one will be able to guarantee what hours you will be running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 10,515 times
Default Owner Operator Jobs

We've have been running a few trucks in North Dakota hauling water for almost a year now, and I'd like to let anyone thinking of doing the same thing know what it has been like for us. We have been leased onto a few different companies, and those companies were very difficult to come by. It's even harder now to find companies that are actually leasing on owner operators. If you do happened to get leased on with a company, the work will probably not be consistent as most companies have their own trucks and will give the work to their own trucks before the owner operators. The pay has started to decrease for owner operators. We have had to turn down jobs because they do not even pay enough to cover our expenses.

If you do get paid by the company you are leased on for, it may not be for up to 60 days. If you get paid earlier, they usually take a higher percentage of the pay for themselves. Trucks break down a lot up here, and downtime is expensive, whether because the truck is broken down or because there is no work. Everything costs more than you think it will and takes longer than you think it will.

It has been extremely difficult trying to keep our trucks and drivers busy and expenses are very high. I would advise before spending money on equipment, educate yourself on what it's really like and maybe even hire on as a company driver before trying to come to North Dakota as an owner operator. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 15,854 times
Yes, and it's getting worse not better as they kept saying it would get busier. It's just slow, no infrastructure and lots of reasons for it. Now contractors are taking bids from desperate subcontractors for work that they won't guarantee. You only run if they can't keep up with their trucks.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,813,364 times
Default do i need my own trailer

hello
iv'e been reading the forums i'm wondering if theres that i could latch onto and run for or do i have to have my own trailer? and whats the pay scale for crude oil haulers??

Old 06-29-2012, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,539 times
Default Looking for work for our 4,000gal tanker truck

We are a husband wife team. We own a 4,000gal Peterbuilt water tanker. We are thinking of joining the black gold rush in ND. We have a motorhome to live there. We wonder if there's a demand for us? We;d come from Oregon, no work here unless the forest starts to burn...any info would be appreciated

Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 PM

49 posts, read 126,346 times
It might be on the small side. 4000 gallons is just over 95 barrels of water. We're expected to carry 130 barrels when not hauling on restricted roads.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,486 times
hello, how much a water tanker 0/0 can make an hour.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,460 times
Hi everybody. Is this forum dryed out in 2013? I did not see any posts and questions this year? I want to ask samething about ND oil rush. Is any body here?

Old 05-18-2013, 08:05 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,082,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhauler13 View Post
Hi everybody. Is this forum dryed out in 2013? I did not see any posts and questions this year? I want to ask samething about ND oil rush. Is any body here?
Yup, everybody is here, what's on your mind?

Old 02-12-2014, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,030 times
I have two dump trucks one backhoe case 311 one dozer I can bring out any idea what two drivers can make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota