Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 12:39 AM

287 posts, read 688,956 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by dimka03
When I interviewed I lied about housing. I just used a gen delivery address. Everything was fine and I found rent. Always tell them that you have housing even if you don't. If you want a job ofcourse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
That is not very good advise. Start out by telling a lie. You will be found out and it won't end good. If you want to KEEP a job, you won't BS the guy who hires you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 01:08 AM

325 posts, read 863,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
There are ppl who are suggesting on here to just get two jobs, so you never have to sleep.
I think you misunderstood that post. Going without any sleep would be impossible of course. The poster was suggesting working through the night so as not to have to worry about sleeping in the cold. And then getting a second job also (for food IIRC). That doesn't mean no sleep or not enough sleep.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:09 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,234,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydink63 View Post
I made the trip up to Minot based on information found on this site seeking work in the oil fields. I arrived Tuesday afternoon, had a interview Wednesday morning and then went to ND Job service and talked to the Veterans rep. Thursday was a wasted day at the Baker Hughes job fair and was never even seen. Today I went to Frac Tech after then lead from the Vet rep. Hired as a Etech and start in 2 weeks. Was also offer another job today from the interview I did Wednesday, but that is not ready for a few more months.

I am retired Navy and stayed on base for $35 a night. I ate in the dining facility for less than $8 a day. I am not bragging but pointing out I never would have driven 1700 miles one way to come to ND without a place to eat and sleep.

Good luck to those in search of work. It is out there but I suggest having the basics needs before coming up. Wait till warmer weather at least. The jobs will still be here.
Really glad to hear of your success. Welcome to North Dakota!

Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,714,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
I'm gonna step in and defend this guy. Twice I have applied for jobs out of the area I was living in and put down a fake address (usually I go on Craigslist, find a place for rent and use that address) .....and both times I have gotten jobs, that if I had put down my REAL address, they would have said "psss...she lives to far away" Point blank, when your desperate, and the poster is obviously desperate, you do what you have to do! He didnt drive 1300 miles for nothing! These companies need to bring in more trailers and take it outta peoples check (the rent) problem solved!
I've had this happen as well. I find it hard to understand how they could "catch" you anyway. If they do find out your address is no longer valid just tell them you moved since then. It would be extremely hard to prove. Unless they have some other reason to fire you I doubt they will care.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:05 AM

581 posts, read 2,215,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka03 View Post
Lol I was with joes for a month and they only worked me 4 Freakin days. Just a bunch if druggies there. And after they hire you they don't mention that the first 200 hours will all be a training wage of 15 an hr. Joes only has contracts with about 10 rigs. My current company has contracts with over 90 rigs. That's the reason I work 6-7 days a week. Go work at joes casing and see for yourself how ****ty they are.
My apologies if you are not at Franks anymore. When you said you were at the biggest casing company, that is Franks. They are global and that is one of their tag lines. I misunderstood. You are at a busy ND casing company but you are not at the BIGGEST casing company in terms of world wide casing companies. Now we are on the same page.

I'm done with this topic. I hope you all are too. Write down an address to get a job. Any address.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Competitive Eater View Post
I want to know from real ND residents, because you can't trust the media. I'm 35, have few career options, and live in an area with EXTREMELY high unemployment. I was laid off back in April of 2009 and haven't worked since. My last job was as a security officer. I have a college degree, but it's basically worthless b/c it's a BA in General Studies. I'm in good shape & tried to join the military, but I'm too old they say. There are few jobs in this area, and what makes things worse is that cronyism and nepotism are rampant. It's impossible to get a job on your own merit, it's all about who you know here.

I constantly hear that there are jobs in North Dakota working for the oil industry or driving trucks, but is this true? I'm not going to be too picky if I relocate, I'm not above flipping burgers or mopping floors, I just need any job. Sitting at home all day and doing nothing just sucks. I'm not intimidated by the weather, it's nearly as cold here in the winter. I can deal with 30 or 40 below, all you gotta do is layer up a lot and make sure every bit of skin on your body is covered.

Should I try and look for jobs in ND?
Sure, you should. But first check all the differant threads referring to the lack of housing, because these are facts. There are many jobs, NDJOBS.COM is a good place to start. Many towns in N.D. will have postings. Valley City, Fargo, Grand Forks, are not oil field areas currently. But will have affordable apts, Valley City and Fargo much more affordable than G.F., oil field jobs you will see the threads. It seems to be luck, gambling and availability. No housing, is a deficit. But, there are folks that are having some luck w/ co. housing, very few I see, but some. Preparation is important w/ any relocation, but critical w/ oil boom here. I wish you good luck, god speed

Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 PM

8 posts, read 12,702 times
Hello,

I got in touch with seawolfms, and he posted your screenname in regards to the info you have told him. A little about myself, I am a 13 year Navy Vet that received an Honorable Dicharge in June of 2010. Was put out of the Navy on Perform to Serve (PTS). Which is pretty much, the concept of the Navy downsizing on overmanned rates.

Right now I have been doing the college thing for the past year and a half (zero jobs/tough times). Have stayed afloat on my Navy savings, but that will not last forever. Although, I have intentions of heading up to ND tomorrow morning. Understanding the housing situation sucks, will be headed out to eastern Montana. Since there is reasonable housing out there, which I have researched. In regards to jobs, I was going through a Temp. Agency out of Colorado called Mile High Solutions. Being that I live in Central Minnesota I drove to Mpls. for an interview with a company called Baker Hughes. Now, the guy told me he would bring me on. Since I was a vet, I deserved a chance- since I had a few bumps on my record back in 2003. So he told me, they would get back to me in roughly 8 days after verifying a backround check. Now, it is 29 NOV 2011 and have not received a phone call, email, or snail mail from them. Have called Mile High Solutions many of times, and it just boils down to getting jacked around! I feel I can attain a job up there, just need a f.... break for once! Have a good night

Alex

Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNavy33 View Post
Hello,

I got in touch with seawolfms, and he posted your screenname in regards to the info you have told him. A little about myself, I am a 13 year Navy Vet that received an Honorable Dicharge in June of 2010. Was put out of the Navy on Perform to Serve (PTS). Which is pretty much, the concept of the Navy downsizing on overmanned rates.

Right now I have been doing the college thing for the past year and a half (zero jobs/tough times). Have stayed afloat on my Navy savings, but that will not last forever. Although, I have intentions of heading up to ND tomorrow morning. Understanding the housing situation sucks, will be headed out to eastern Montana. Since there is reasonable housing out there, which I have researched. In regards to jobs, I was going through a Temp. Agency out of Colorado called Mile High Solutions. Being that I live in Central Minnesota I drove to Mpls. for an interview with a company called Baker Hughes. Now, the guy told me he would bring me on. Since I was a vet, I deserved a chance- since I had a few bumps on my record back in 2003. So he told me, they would get back to me in roughly 8 days after verifying a backround check. Now, it is 29 NOV 2011 and have not received a phone call, email, or snail mail from them. Have called Mile High Solutions many of times, and it just boils down to getting jacked around! I feel I can attain a job up there, just need a f.... break for once! Have a good night

Alex
Not sure who you were intending to post, but sense your frustration. I am posting a job lead, posted from someone else, I do not know how current this is, so you will have to check it out.
Turnkey solutions for remote workforce housing from Target Logistics
There are lots of other threads posting job leads, and also making folks aware that there is no housing, unless you get really lucky, and various warnings about the weather. Please make sure that you plan accordingly. There is a thread that lists actual updates to weather also, posted by ElkHunter on this forum, you should just go down the list and read many threads. Besides this info, which is just my own opinion garnered by reading the many threads, the job service of N.D. online, and will list various locations, that might be a good start for local jobs. I believe it is JobsND or the home page for North Dakota, ND.Gov usually has leads related to information re: jobs, and other state facts. Hope you can get some other postings w/ leads also. Be safe, and do your weather prep work.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:29 AM

625 posts, read 1,883,345 times
It's not in the oilfield, but on the radio today they're advertizing that there are 50+ jobs at Melroe Bobcat down in Gwinner. Everything from welders to material handlers. You have to call & schedule an interview & the interviews are in about a week.

Housing in this part of the state is generally not a problem, unless you want to live right in Gwinner. There are a dozen or so people in town here in Valley City that work down there and I know some drive from Fargo as well as from all the other little towns in between.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 AM

625 posts, read 1,883,345 times
Here's a copy of the info from the FargoForum newspaper

Bobcat job fair aims to fill 50 positions

By: Forum staff reports, INFORUM

GWINNER, N.D. – Bobcat has 50 job openings at its primary production facility here, and the company will accept applications and conduct interviews Dec. 8-9.
Average wages for the positions exceed $20 an hour and the benefits package includes a 401(k) match and pension plan.
Positions available include assemblers, fabrication shop operators, material handlers and welders.
The positions are mostly for the second shift from 3 to 11 p.m., and third shift from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
The job fair is from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. both days at the Spring Golf Course, 565 Bogey Road, Gwinner.
Appointments are preferred, but walk-ins will be accepted.
Anyone wishing to schedule an interview can call (701) 678-6239.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota