Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,276,209 times

Advertisements

D.J. there have been folks on the forum telling of the panhandle oil boom. Have you checked there? That info thread from "talkin the bakken" (on here) may still be helpful, as many are companies with home bases from that area. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 07:35 PM

7 posts, read 10,627 times
Thank you Jan, I will definitely look into the Panhandle boom. I had heard bits and pieces. One even closer to home, quite literally in my backyard, would be the Eagle Ford formation. It's still being developed and from what I have seen hasn't caught fire like the Bakken. Hopes to have some experience under my belt when it does catch on.

-DJ

Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 PM

941 posts, read 1,918,598 times
glad all went well DJ, and at least you got a look at what's going on so when you get cdl you will be one step ahead.....

So with SOS staffing there are a lot of job but how do they corner one for someone? Do they suggest where to put you or do they ask you what you want? What is the deaal w/them?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 10,627 times
Thanks Laina. From chatting with them, seems having a CDL is king and you'll be able to choose which companies you would want to work for. They were pretty helpful and persistence is key, get to know everyone there. On their website, apply for positions you think would be a good fit for you and follow up with calls to the local office. Best of luck.

-DJ

Old 12-30-2011, 04:53 AM

80 posts, read 272,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ.Southern View Post
Evening everyone,

DJ here, my first post (be gentle). I wanted to thank all the posters here for the great information on the North Dakota job scene. After the chilling silence of applying online and never hearing back from potential employers, I finally packed my bags and headed up to ND from San Antonio, Texas. Needed a "Boots on the ground" perspective.

Little on me: I graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering back in 2010. Little did i know, it was going to going to be one of the hardest careers to get work in. Since graduation, I've help build fences, laid ceramic tile, and other labor jobs to get by. Days when not working are rather frustrating looking for work. When did extry level work needed 3-5 years experience? (Topic for another thread.) Fingers crossed to finding something here in North Dakota. I'm ready to start at the bottom and work my way up, not afraid of working hard and getting dirty.

Tidbits of information from today's journey. Hope this helps anyone.
(All the following companies are Hiring)

Baker Hughes - Online. I'm planning on heading to Minot for the job fair tomorrow (Thursday).
Halliburton - Confirm apply online, not taking applications.
Schlumberger - Goes to through SOS staffing.
Calfrac - Can apply locally, paper application.

This message was pecked out at Chateau Walmart. Stop by and say "Hi" if you catch this. Thanks for reading.

-DJ

Note - 2 wheel drive is fun in the snow! Coming from a guy who's lived in South Texas all his life.
With a degree in Mechanical Engineering, you might want to google Spirit Aerospace.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 AM

454 posts, read 942,000 times
Williston Walmart parking lot a mecca for Oil Patch job seekers' campers | INFORUM | Fargo, ND

Quote from the article: " Williston's Walmart is becoming a mecca for oil field job seekers from around the country who are flocking to the region in campers and motor homes. The store's parking lot also is becoming notorious, a place to avoid when daylight ends."

Old 01-31-2012, 09:39 PM

477 posts, read 1,508,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Williston Walmart parking lot a mecca for Oil Patch job seekers' campers | INFORUM | Fargo, ND

Quote from the article: " Williston's Walmart is becoming a mecca for oil field job seekers from around the country who are flocking to the region in campers and motor homes. The store's parking lot also is becoming notorious, a place to avoid when daylight ends."
Yeah, I'm afraid to say, but it's getting worse as a friend was verbally assulted along with being threaten by his passenger to "shoot her, just shoot her" because she was busy unloading groceries in her car and didn't say hi or anything to the dude!!!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 AM

454 posts, read 942,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
Yeah, I'm afraid to say, but it's getting worse as a friend was verbally assulted along with being threaten by his passenger to "shoot her, just shoot her" because she was busy unloading groceries in her car and didn't say hi or anything to the dude!!!

I can't think of anything to say to this - other than OMG . Who would have thought that these things would happen here, of all places? I am unfortunately starting to fall in with those that have been quietly stating "we want our town back". I think it's going to get to the point where these people will start screaming "WE WANT OUR TOWN BACK".

Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post

Thanks for the interesting article. Been wondering how it is there, specially since I saw that some out of state registered sex offenders, now residing and reporting in N.D.(see sex offender thread this forum) are giving the Walmart parking lot as an address. I wonder if the Walmart Corporate office, (which has contact info online) are aware??

Last edited by JanND; 02-01-2012 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: sentence structure

Old 02-01-2012, 07:32 AM

To bad the city of Williston doesn't start charging Walmart a fine, say $100 for every overnight vehicle in their lot....Might be a source of revenue for the infrastructure repair, or the new schools so badly needed now in Williston. But, maybe it is better to at least have these folks in one area, to keep an eye on them? Some security guards paid for by Walmart would be a benefit. Our police are busy enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota