Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:50 AM

454 posts, read 942,984 times

Advertisements

Was searching the Minot Daily online this morning for a different story, and ran across this one. Seems to fit here, since City Data Forum is referenced in the blog. You're nuts if you think you can live in your car in North Dakota this winter - Andrea's Agenda by Andrea Johnson - MinotDailyNews.com | News, sports, business, jobs - Minot Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,370,112 times
I agree with Andrea that they are nuts.

That being said, it can be done and was done last year by multiple people. I would NEVER recommend someone do it as it is dangerous. But I also accept that I can't stop people from making that choice.

What I do find extremely interesting is that Andrea claims that they should just increase building. That might be a possibility in Minot, but not in Williston. Willistons basic infrastructure is maxed out, our water treatment plant is working beyond it's full capacity, our roads are a mess, our stores can't keep up with what's going on, if you need to see an actual doctor and not an LPN good luck, the list could go on but you get the point.

They're in the process of expanding the water treatment plan, but that's not something that will happen overnight.

Rent control would be nice and I agree with the concept, but you also have to look at the bigger picture with that. This is an oil boom and couple that with the fact that the national economy is in bad shape, financing for any housing projects up here is most likely going to have to come from private sources as getting a loan would be almost impossible. Private backers aren't interested in making the area an affordable place to live, they're interested in making their money back and turning the investment into something profitable. IF rent control is implemented I think potential apartment complexes will have a hard time finding financing since the opportunity to make a profit decreases dramatically.

It's a difficult and complicated situation and there doesn't really seem to be a simple answer to solve it.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,316,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Was searching the Minot Daily online this morning for a different story, and ran across this one. Seems to fit here, since City Data Forum is referenced in the blog. You're nuts if you think you can live in your car in North Dakota this winter - Andrea's Agenda by Andrea Johnson - MinotDailyNews.com | News, sports, business, jobs - Minot Daily News
Thank you for posting this. It may well save lives. I hope this topic stays on topic. There are tons of other threads that address the other issues relevant to the "boom" I am grateful to see a well written commentary re: ppl trying to come to this climate, and planning on sleeping in a vehicle, ....I have even seen postings of some folks talking about bringing their children.

Last edited by JanND; 12-04-2011 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: rewrite

Old 12-04-2011, 10:22 AM

287 posts, read 690,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
i agree with andrea that they are nuts.

That being said, it can be done and was done last year by multiple people. I would never recommend someone do it as it is dangerous. But i also accept that i can't stop people from making that choice.
iT CAN BE DONE. Well said lisan23.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:38 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,928,690 times
It depends on the car. My GEO Metro is equipped with a king size bed, furnace, air conditioner, lazy Boy recliner, refrigerator, oven and a Jacuzzi.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 AM

454 posts, read 942,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
It depends on the car. My GEO Metro is equipped with a king size bed, furnace, air conditioner, lazy Boy recliner, refrigerator, oven and a Jacuzzi.

Jasper Hobbs
Muhahahahahaha

Next question - How much do you rent it for?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxTeller View Post
iT CAN BE DONE. Well said lisan23.
Yup. Our ancestors did it. They survived. But then again, their life expectancy was 37 years. Something about not caring for themselves give them reason for dieing early in life (in today's standards) So living to the ripe old age of 40 was unheard of.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 AM

287 posts, read 690,059 times
Our ancestors didnt have the advances in technology like we have now days for example :

Helium MemBrain 15F / -9C | Marmot Clothing and Equipment

and how about this beauty?:

Alaska Tent & Tarp :: Arctic Oven 8 Extreme Tent

and this heater ( use only before getting in the sleeping bag and after waking up , dont ever leave it on while asleep ):

Coleman - BlackCat Catalytic Heater with InstaStart Technology - (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000004166&categoryid=3000&b rand=#.Ttu59pjB97o - broken link)

oh and this are my favorites :

Men's ColdGear® UA Base™ 3.0 Longsleeve Crew | 1004604 | $69.99 | Under Armour® USA
Men's ColdGear® UA Base™ 3.0 Leggings | 1004605 | $69.99 | Under Armour® USA

Can it be done ? Of course it can if you plan smart. Have I done it? YES, several days in a row. And lisan23 just confirmed it : " it can be done and was done last year by multiple people"

So there. We dont live in the B.C. era anymore.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:46 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,928,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Muhahahahahaha

Next question - How much do you rent it for?
Not available for rent at this time but working on business plan for Metro 6 motel chain. Williston area looks like a prime location.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 12-04-2011, 01:57 PM

101 posts, read 219,559 times
Let’s see...was 22 when I went to sleep last night....all tucked in around 10PM
Woke up after 2 hours and had to shed a layer of my multi-layer sleeping bag. Too dang hot on my feet. (The part that gets cold for me) Woke up around 4 am and tucked my feet back into a second layer of my bag system.

Slept until 8am, was 24degrees when I woke up. Sometime during the night it got down to 9. Was well rested and relaxed. Got ready for church..
Tonight it is forecast to be -6...... Moderator cut: offensive Might have been made of tougher stuff than some of the whiners today....

Dumb reporter says he hands got cold during an interview....next time wear some gloves dummy. Part of staying alive is being prepared...she would be one to die in the cold. Can't even plan far enough ahead to wear gloves when outside...I quess if she is stupid, everyone else must be stupid too...

And her example of someone freezing to death.....guess what doesn't apply don't see anyone planning on wondering around in a blizzard....thought we were talking about sleeping in a car...that about poor journalism!! (False Analogy while desperately trying to create an argument from analogy.)FAIL

And to top it all off...as if poor journalism wasn't enough she insults anyone....( including those who have military survival training) who attempts to sleep in their own private vehicle and take responsibility for their own life.

Which is where people like her will go next...make it illegal for ANYONE to be responsible for themselves.

Beware the liberal that says they CARE about you...

Last edited by Count David; 12-05-2011 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: removed offensive comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota