Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 PM

10 posts, read 17,768 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about heading up there. I am 20 and have no oil field experience and it seems this is the best opportunity to get started. So what clothes do you suggest I buy before I head up there. I will be sleeping in my car until I can find a job and housing. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM

101 posts, read 219,137 times
depending on your job, you may need Flame retardent clothing.

But it looks like some of the bigger companies provide them...they label everyone.

Carharts for pants and nice wool type shirts.

You will need steel toed boots. I have some Danners that are insulated, very nice. But I did see the local ranch store selling Baffin, steel toes rubber insulated boots also. about $200.

long johns, buy them at Cabelas or at a local ranch supply store. warm socks.

One thing about this type of clothing, if you buy things before you get here and think the quality of winter clothing is the same as what is available down south somewhere...you would be wrong.

The stuff sold here is much more durabale and warmer...excluding what you would see at a chain store like Cabelas...but I suspect you will see things here on the shelf that would never show up in an Arizona store even.

Make sure you apply on line with every comapny under the sun. ALL of them ask you to apply online. all the big companies seem to take apps ONLY online too, nothing for the walk in guys. smaller and mid size companies take the walkin face to face approach.

warm, layered clothing will be a must. but like I said some of these companies provide outer flame retardent coverings.

Must be flexiable.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:58 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
You know, I've lived in cold country for a lot of years. I live in a little cabin up in the mountains. I get my drinking water from a spring. I don't buy anything special.

Buy layers. A couple of sweaters, a couple of hoodies. Get something over top of that that is wind resistant. If you can stop the wind, your in good hands. Also, cover your head, your hands and your feet. You loose a majority of your body heat from your head. If you can keep your head, hands and feet warm, your in good shape.

I walk down to get water and my hands get cold. I get my jugs filled up and I start back. My feet go right after my ears and neck go. So keep a good warm hat on, keep a scarf on your neck. Then, my hands start aching. Get some good mittens on. Not gloves. Get some mittens on so that your fingers can help each other out. If you can keep head, hands, and feet warm, you'll be ahead of the power curve.

I live up in the mountains of Wyoming. I walk up and get my water every day. I hunt, I fish, and I enjoy life, but I do it while bundled up and staying warm. hahahaha

This morning it was -16. I went out with long johns, blue jeans, a denim shirt, a insulated hoodie, jean jacket, good gloves, a hat, insulated boots and I was comfortable.

Lots of layers.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 PM

91 posts, read 294,942 times
Just FYI, Apply to rig jobs if thats what you want, but plan on finding other work while you wait for a call back.

Also, when I'm on the job I wear the cheaper black Baffin rubber insulated boots for $60 from "Home of Economy". They last a long time and make your feet sweat even when its in the negatives outside. Also when i'm working on the rig I just wear my carhartt insulated bibs, a long sleeve shirt with a wool button up, with a carhartt hooded jacket over that (with my company coveralls over the top). You kinda look like an oompa loompa but its better than being cold. I also wear one of those cheap $5 facemasks from that other store here in town that sells carhartts.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 PM

112 posts, read 316,524 times
I know this is a little off topic boinksters, but how long did you have to train when you started? And did they pay you differently while training? overtime? or just straight 40?

Thanks for all the great info, especially about the clothing. I have been looking at the Baffin boots online but at the higher dollar ones, just have not taken the plunge yet.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:41 PM

91 posts, read 294,942 times
ya, i dont buy those expensive ones just because i go through so many pairs, it would be stupid to buy $200 boots every month

In training i got paid like $15 per hour. its a lot lower that actually WORKING. i just got done working tonight and am a completely zombie at the moment.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:17 PM

112 posts, read 316,524 times
Thanks man, appreciate the info and the zombie state. That lets me know I can go with a lesser pair, helps when you have someone on the inside. Get some rest and stay warm and safe!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:03 AM

10 posts, read 17,768 times
Thanks for the reply's. Do you think I wont be able to get a job up there? How long would it probably take someone with no exp to find a job on the rig?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 PM

13 posts, read 36,491 times
I'm not in Williston, but I've been in cold climates and a good addition to your cold weather gear is a "neck gaiter".

Old 12-15-2015, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 8,239 times
Default Outdoor Gear for the Oil Feilds

I spent last 4 years in the fields in North Dakota. I have a couple pointers.

1. Always keep your gas tank filled as much as possible and constantly top it off. You don't want to get stuck out there. Bring an orange square that can be seen from above just incase you wind up in ditch on the side of the road. The snow drifts are intense.

2. Insulated Carhart overalls

3. Polypropalyne long underwear. You need clothing that will wick moisture away from your body if your wet between the wind and the freezing temps you will freeze. You have to stay dry.

4. Smartwool socks not just regular wool or cotton.

5. A super high quality industrial ice or snow cleat like Spiky or Spiky Plus. can find them at Ice Cleats for Shoes, Snow Cleats, Spiky Ice Cleats

6. polorized Ski googles, make sure they are polorized the sun reflects off the snow and can burn your retina.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota