Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 15,335 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to relocate to the Fargo, ND area to work for a large corporation there. I am a 21 year old female, and I want to ask you all what life in Fargo is like. How is the nightlife? How is the housing? How are the people.
Go ahead. Convince me to move to Fargo.
(Note: I'm from a city. But I also like skiing, hiking etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Job is more important than ideal living situation, however I'd avoid fargo because I hate below zero weather. Sioux Falls would be better. Rochester MN or Mankato, better yet. Twin Cities even better yet... Madison, WI.. suburb of Chicago... Omaha, NE.. all much warmer than Fargo. Perhaps locals can tell you more about the night life. Madison, WI would be ideal for a young professional looking to start out in the club scene. Denver, CO.. another good choice. Rapid City, SD.. I could go on and on over places I'd go before Fargo. Just because of the flat terrain and tendency to drop to -20F too often for my taste. There's nothing Fargo has that can't be found in Sioux Falls, or other mentioned cities with better climates unless you like the cold, but from personal experience, most people including ones who live in this town, do not really.... there is no state income tax in south dakota either.

I don't particularly like where I live, but 3M is a good company to work for. Would rather live in Sioux Falls itself, or Rapid City. Winona, MN if I could find work there. Warmest town in the state, and I like nature. But no factory work can match what 3M pays, from what I've seen.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Job is more important than ideal living situation, however I'd avoid fargo because I hate below zero weather. Sioux Falls would be better. Rochester MN or Mankato, better yet. Twin Cities even better yet... Madison, WI.. suburb of Chicago... Omaha, NE.. all much warmer than Fargo. Perhaps locals can tell you more about the night life. Madison, WI would be ideal for a young professional looking to start out in the club scene.

I don't particularly like where I live, but 3M is a good company to work for.
I live in Madison, WI right now (going to school here). I also have a job offer here, but it would require me to travel a lot.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:35 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
well I'd use Fargo as a stepping stone if you get a good job offer, and then keep looking for work elsewhere. The sky's the limit if you have a profession that can take you anywhere. Where I would move if I could.. so many choices. Pacific northwest for example.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
well I'd use Fargo as a stepping stone if you get a good job offer, and then keep looking for work elsewhere. The sky's the limit if you have a profession that can take you anywhere. Where I would move if I could.. so many choices. Pacific northwest for example.
Both of my job offers are good. But is it worth it to live two years in Fargo to move elsewhere in the company? Are there many young people there?

Old 12-13-2011, 03:25 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
I loved the movie but there is no way on earth I would move there voluntarily. Great people there but WOW the Winters are like Siberian Prison.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:27 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
I think Fargo is a lot like Madison, Wisconsin and I have spent time in both places. Both are progressive and have a state university. Economy is decent in both places. Fargo may be colder because of a lot more wind but that wouldn't stop me from moving there.

Good job offers are hard to find, make the move to Fargo and get some experience and who knows where you can go from there.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 12-14-2011, 01:29 AM

231 posts, read 873,113 times
Quote:
Job is more important than ideal living situation, however I'd avoid fargo because I hate below zero weather. Sioux Falls would be better. Rochester MN or Mankato, better yet. Twin Cities even better yet... Madison, WI.. suburb of Chicago... Omaha, NE.. all much warmer than Fargo. Perhaps locals can tell you more about the night life. Madison, WI would be ideal for a young professional looking to start out in the club scene. Denver, CO.. another good choice. Rapid City, SD.. I could go on and on over places I'd go before Fargo. Just because of the flat terrain and tendency to drop to -20F too often for my taste. There's nothing Fargo has that can't be found in Sioux Falls, or other mentioned cities with better climates unless you like the cold, but from personal experience, most people including ones who live in this town, do not really.... there is no state income tax in south dakota either.

I don't particularly like where I live, but 3M is a good company to work for. Would rather live in Sioux Falls itself, or Rapid City. Winona, MN if I could find work there. Warmest town in the state, and I like nature. But no factory work can match what 3M pays, from what I've seen.
I didn't know you lived in Fargo. When did you move here?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:56 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:

I for one love the cold and there are those of us in the north that do... anyway....if the OP had a job offer in Fargo I would for sure take it.
There are 3 major colleges in the Fargo-Moorhead area and I would vision Fargo would have a bit more college age crowd than many small to medium size cities there. Now Fargo is no Madison of course, but Fargo isnt that far removed from Madison as it does possess a growing and active downtown and overall a clean and positive growth atmosphere. Flood issues for the entire region has been a downer, but the flooding itself only impacts areas right along the river where the levees have to be built. Fargo is very close to lake country in Minnesota (Detroit Lakes- Fergus Falls area eastward) and overall Fargo is the cheapest city in the state to live in.

Fargo is not at all like the move of course, very little was ever filmed there, it was mostly in Minnesota, and we dont talk like that. Fargo is a safe city for its size and shopping is very good with many choices as most major brand stores are there. The Twin cities are only 4 1/2 hrs away....

Yes it can be cold in the winter and yes colder than Madison.... summers are comparable....

Dan

Old 12-14-2011, 02:02 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnie21 View Post
I have the opportunity to relocate to the Fargo, ND area to work for a large corporation there. I am a 21 year old female, and I want to ask you all what life in Fargo is like. How is the nightlife? How is the housing? How are the people.
Go ahead. Convince me to move to Fargo.
(Note: I'm from a city. But I also like skiing, hiking etc.)
See my previous post.... but things like skiing and hiking you will have to travel for. Hiking and bike trails can be great over in lakes country of Minnesota....many trails around Lake Itasca and all the lakes around Park Rapids over to Brainerd. Skiing....well there are some small places here and there....Bottineau ND for one and one in Bemidji and one up in the Pembina Hills near Walhalla ND. But likely you will need to take a weekend visit out to Montana.

I dont know your other choices....but Fargo is a clean city, livable, with nice folks. Weather is very changeable....cold winters and warm summers with all kinds of weather in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota