Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 PM

175 posts, read 459,948 times

Advertisements

What?!?!? I guess I didn't hit 'submit.' Jeez. Well I'll try again.

Today was a simple day. I woke up at 6:37 and freaked out. Apparently none of my alarm clocks work. In fact the clock that uses the atomic signal from Colorado doesn't even turn on. Still need to return that one. I bumped my cell phone during the night bringing up some dialog screen. When the alarm "goes off" then, it is silent until I 'x' out of the dialog. Whoever programmed my phone's OS needs a good bop to the head. Turns out I had no reason to freak out. We were suppose to be at the base at 8:00 not at the Command Center at 6:30. Phew!

Well that was pretty much the excitement for today. A good chunk (~1hr) was most of our crew getting their long-term base passes. No more lengthy security check-in. Then we unloaded three trailers: beds, desks, dressers, desk shelves, tables, and night stands for the dormitories on base. I ended up driving some people around... didn't enjoy that too much. They got a little kick out of it though. There is little room in my car. The foot wells are all full of stuff... the passenger seat too... and there's a growing pile in the back seat.

I was going to take 90 minutes later in the day to do some "errands" (a.k.a. job search tasks). I ended up doing that during lunch. I dropped off one of my coworkers at Command Center. There was no way I was making it back to the work site on base in 9 minutes.

Library... closed
AK Driving Hx not faxed to MarketPlace yet
Manager @ PowerFuels had left for the weekend

Oh well. One of the dispatchers was very friendly at PowerFuels though. He informed me to leave the app in person. I shared my story from yesterday and we both had a little chuckle. He also said to mention I'd lose the beard. I kinda figured that. Perhaps that's another thing I can put on my resume... SCBA experience as call fire fighter. There is no room.

So I went back and finished the day at the base. Ideally everything was suppose to be in a room. Towards the end everything just ended up inside. Our super paid everyone for 12 hours. I had a correction because I was gone. But I was confused to see 10. It turns out the 'half' is elsewhere on the card. I was still confused as to why it wasn't 11. Apparently we're all paid for lunch? That was never specified. I'm not going to push the issue and my boss never seemed to make the connection. I'll find out tomorrow when he completes the card and just make a note for future reference.

That's pretty much the day. Got my check and deposited it. I'm ~$260 towards my $700-ish goal. Tomorrow will be less exciting than today. I'll be at the airbase again. Afterwards most likely emailing peeps who are wondering what's going on with me and take some time to really delve into the links people have shared with me. Sunday will be even more boring. Maybe I can work one day at Pizza Hut... or Subway. I'll wash dishes. I don't care. Oooo I'll review my CDL materials all day!! Something to do.

I have determined how to overcome my lack of CDL experience and am eager to see the reaction of HR / the manager. Hopefully we'll get off the airbase earlier on Monday and I can see it at PowerFuels.

Happy Easter!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:03 PM

45 posts, read 86,261 times
I love positive attitude. I'm coming up myself, but I may have to rely on my construction prowess until I can find something else.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:38 AM

53 posts, read 175,636 times
Robione, this may be a bit too extreme. However I think that you might find this news story enjoyable, even thought it is about a man in Washington state, trying to get a job.

This Man Landed 7 Job Interviews By Standing Outside In The Rain For Hours

Odd Ways Of Landing Job Interviews - Business Insider

P.S. To add to this story, though this guy has landed 7 job interviews. I know that "interviews" does not = "job". Hopefully they will do a follow-up story about this guy to see if he got a job from doing this. However "I think" it would have been a better story if they could have reported it the first time around AND would have been able to end the story saying that the guy got a job from doing all of this. IMO

"Happy Easter to you too!"

Nick

Old 04-07-2012, 06:01 PM

54 posts, read 114,475 times
just a bit of imfo to pass on if your vet you can go to job services go see the va. rep. and they pay for you to go to school to get your cdl

Old 04-07-2012, 06:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post
Any recommendations for bribes? Hand them some flowers as I ask for a driver application with a big smile?
Buy some cookies, or a box of chocolates....make up a story that your Mom is a secretary.....and just admit you are trying to make points...lol I would only do this after you've visited someplace a few times....and don't do it if you feel stupid about it.....cause you wouldn't be able to carry it off. Honestly, just really good pleasant manners, goes a long way w/ folks. And, you seem to have all that charisma down judging from your posts....
But, seriously, make sure you apply for those positions that require your skills, unless you are dead set on driving I would encourage you to market all your skills....and truthfully just your organization skills alone are impressive in your posts. That speaks volumes about your skills. In Minot, where things are still in recovery, what we called the "disaster w/in the disaster" in the disaster field organization, especially under the conditions your in are a great skill. Think of the organization needed in the oil companies, just the office managers must have long hrs....lots of work. Be diverse, you may find a great place for all your skills and make just as much money...just a thought. You are doing very well, and also helping folks less skilled at job searching by sharing what you do as a time line...Nice job!!

Last edited by JanND; 04-07-2012 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 PM

Got out very early today at the base (2pm). Apparently only me and one other person showed up. I guess everyone else went to party and didn't want to deal with physical labor. Just about everyone of them was griping about it yesterday. (I know there's an icon somewhere that depicts them... Ah ha! ) The two people I picked up yesterday in the morning wreaked of alcohol. These are the people I work with on a daily basis from Command Center. They wouldn't make it 2 days fishing.... unless they shaped up pretty quick.

Very surprised the library doesn't have an all-in-one. Printing policy is slightly conflicting with copier. Copier 15 cents/page. Printing: B&W: FREE - Color: 1st pg FREE, 25 cents additional pages. Let's get an all-in-one in there and go 10 cents per B&W page period. Trying to get a packet together for in-person and electronic mail applications. The latter seems to be giving me problems... I'll checked Office Max and and got some of my documents converted to PDF.

I figure one company wanted all this info... why not put it together and let everyone see it along with their app?
  • Resume
  • AK Driving Hx
  • MA Driving Hx
  • OSHA 10 Certificate
  • HAZWOPER 40 Certificate
  • H2S Awareness Certificate
  • Watermarked copy of Passport, CDL, DOT Medical Card. (Watermarking was more for the electronic copy I'm going to start submitting to potential employers via email.)

I'm going to head to the PD and see if I can pay for a background check on myself. (Had to do this in AK to drive taxi.) If I can... I'll put that in there too. Still waiting on my AK history... killing me. Emailed them to see what's taking so long. I'm thinking about adding a cover page customized to each company basically in a similar theme to what ElkHunter had mentioned.

DrBrule sent me a post from the ND Work Force and that got me off my tootie to look into positions myself. I found these tonight in 15 minutes or so (probably longer just wasn't counting)...
  • ULM - 30 positions (water hauler) - 2 yrs exp. - Posted: 3/27
  • Fox Run - 20 positions (frac sand) - 2 yrs exp. - Posted: 4/06
  • - 6 positions (varied) - 0 exp. - Posted: (varied)
  • MTS - 10 positions (belly/side dump) - 1 yr exp. - Posted: 3/1

I'm keeping the ones with zero experience secret.

Finally Walmart was busy. A good amount of produce was gone from the shelves as well as instant meals, juices and candy. Met some roustabouts last night waiting at the register around 23:30. One was a roustabout by trade and wasted, getting 2 seedless watermelons and cantaloupe. An odd diet for being in that state, I thought. He shoulda grabbed what I had (bananas, smoked cheddar and swiss, and low-sodium V8). Thanks for the tip on the cheese, beenthere1cB4. The other was a painter by trade. Loves his new position. Both seemed like very nice people.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:13 PM

Just spent 35 minutes doing some research on the phone with Progressive. An obvious hint of what my "secret plan" is to thwart my lack of experience. Of course I could be sleeping and wait until tomorrow as it is looking like I won't be working... just not me.

BTW I did find that fast food place that was extremely flexible in scheduling. It's McDonalds... no hiring manager there today though. (Dag-nag-it!) I asked the person at Command Center if she could set me up with the position. She couldn't unfortunately until Monday but she did spill the beans.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Robione, it sounds like you are really doing so well. I’m very happy for you. Since you are still open to job hunting, by chance did you see my posting to you on the 5th, in regards to checking out some of the jobs on Monster.Com?

Take care, and I hope that you are having a nice weekend.

Nick

Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM

I typically don't drink. So today I figured I would. I had:
  • gone through craigslist and got my list of potential trucking jobs.
  • Finally reviewed my financial situation (97.81% CC usage.... (sarcastic fist pump w/ a "YES!")).
  • Applied to Haliburton and Sanjel.
  • Determined some excellent potential investment opps in town. (They're cheap but like I have money LOL.)
  • Picked up my AK history. They botched it up. Hopefully I can get away with 3 of 4 pages until they send me the correction.
  • Was going to convert it to PDF but it seemed Office Max and Staples were both closed. (And didn't indicate special hours for today.)
  • Cleaned up my car... a little.
  • Checked out job fairs at jobsnd.com.
  • Looked over some threads I use to follow to find out what they've been up to. (Most either are here in ND or on their way.)

I thought I would head over to Space Aliens Bar & Grill after B&N closed. I'm greeted by a nice little paper taped to the door. I read it a couple of times to make sure I understood it correctly. No alcohol today. Huh?!? (Apparently Easter only... so far the only day I've discovered anyway) My shoulders slumped. Apparently all the servers got a chuckle out of it. I walk in anyway. I need to charge my phone and organize the mess I've given myself as far as where I am with the various companies following up with them. I've been slacking with that... sure way to not get hired.

So I discreetly locate a booth with an outlet. I'm going to milk my 4 piece BBQ platter for as long as I can while I reorganize and let my phone charge up. I had intended on hanging out 'til 9pm.... might be able to squeak out 7:30. Then off to Walmart. I'll buy some Sleep-aide and hit the sack early. First day I take them is always a short but very restful sleep. Should be up, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed by 5am. I'm not heading outside Minot to grab a brew LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSheridan View Post
...by chance did you see my posting to you on the 5th, in regards to checking out some of the jobs on Monster.Com?
I did Nick. Several people have been sending me links and I need to thank you all. But it's kinda like exponential growth... I do my own stuff... ppl send me some info.... 2 jobs... 7 jobs... hear of 2 trucking companies... 16 jobs... learn of 4 trucking companies... 30 jobs... 10 trucking companies. I'm sure you get the idea. The difficulty I have, personally, is lack of time. That's not completely true. I do have time, just not during normal business hours unless I take a day off. The holiday didn't help either. Neither does the library closing at 6pm. (Hmm I'll have to see if there's more than one.)

After I reorganize I'm going to start following up with some apps on my lunch break... which probably coincides with everyone else's break but I have to start calling sometime or they'll think I'm not interested.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post
I did Nick. Several people have been sending me links and I need to thank you all. But it's kinda like exponential growth... I do my own stuff... ppl send me some info.... 2 jobs... 7 jobs... hear of 2 trucking companies... 16 jobs... learn of 4 trucking companies... 30 jobs... 10 trucking companies. I'm sure you get the idea. The difficulty I have, personally, is lack of time. That's not completely true. I do have time, just not during normal business hours unless I take a day off. The holiday didn't help either. Neither does the library closing at 6pm. (Hmm I'll have to see if there's more than one.)
GOOD STUFF, Robione! I just wanted to make sure that you knew about that option, as it might help in your job search one day. Yet for sure, I can now easily see that you are bogged-down with employment search options. I do hope you find what you are looking for soon. Most of all, I'm still enjoying your "daily journal" posts. Good luck to you.

Nick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota