Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 AM

53 posts, read 323,199 times

Advertisements

We have a small camper and we are using to trade for a bigger camper that will provide the best protection from ND Winters. There are soo many brands and models out there. Just wanted opinions on the best brand, best type...aluminum vs. fiberglass, construction, skirting, heating, etc. I know that alot of people already have experience with this. I have been told that no camper can made through winter out here but I this point our only choice. We welcome all suggestions and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,242,726 times
Your choice, but just a thought....Seems like what a camper would cost would be a pretty good down payment on a home, or at least a pretty good chunk of rental expense, and deposit on one of those apartments I hear about being built. I know there are folks that are gonna try, and there are folks that say it can be done, regarding camping in N.D. winters. But the hazards and weather concerns are great. This was a freak winter, not at all the norm. But w/ two good incomes, why would that be an "only option".
Not judgin....Just askin...

Last edited by JanND; 04-29-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 04-29-2012, 11:53 AM

477 posts, read 1,507,149 times
I believe there are some posts on this if you have not tried to search for them yet and Elkhunter has some experience with doing this.

It can be done and with the right precautions taken you should not have any problems other than probably no running water/sewer in the winter. Jan is right though, this last winter was a freak of a one. Even if we dont' get that much snow accumulations in the past winters, we usually can count on below freezing winter weather for months on end.

They have some great campers out now though, all season ones that are insulated and made for the harsh winters. I'm not sure if I can post another forum, but pm me if you want the name of a great rving forum, they have tons of info that is just about anything and everyting you could think of with living in an rv. Here is one of the best places I think Arctic Fox Travel Trailers for Four Seasons for brands of campers. Arctic Fox is a great camper, I have heard loads of great things about them, looked into them myself, but I am holding off a bit until I am ahead on my bills.

Have you thought of having your camper being built to your specs and getting directly from the manufacturer? I think it would be cheaper than buying anything around this area right now.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,091,844 times
I lived several winters in a camper. Not only can it be done, it was very comfortable and having the ability to pack up and move 100 miles down the road to follow the boom, is the best way to go.

If you are involved with drilling, you will need to move and buying a home is just a waste of money because when you move, so does everybody else and the market takes a dive because of all the empty homes for sale.

There are several manufacturers that make good motorhomes, RV's, out there. A few things you want to look for.

1) Insulation, Insulation, Insulation. It is key. Some of the RV manufacturers thing "This is only going to be a summer camper for 2 weeks out of the year" so they make it for that.

2) You want an RV with a basement. Right now people are rolling their eyes, but rest assured, there are RV's with basements. Some are built with storage under the floor. This is called the basement. With these models, your plumbing runs through the basement. Hanging a couple 60 watt bulbs in the basement keep it nice and warm when the weather is cold.

People talk about Wind Chill as being something alive. They don't know what wind chill is. I actually heard a meteorologist say, "The temp is going to be 5 below tonight, and with the windchill, cars are going to be hard to start." That is just plain wrong. Wind Chill is a computation on how fast your can get frostbite on BARE SKIN. It has nothing to do with pipes, cars, walls, doors, windows, or anything but bare skin. If the ambient temp is 0 degrees, I don't care how hard the wind blows, your car engine is going to be 0 degrees. They teach that in 7th grade science class but it seems that a lot of folks were absent that day.

Campers are built and designed for camping a few weeks during the summer or even a few days in the winter. Heater blower motors are cheap and don't hold up. Buy a spare. Look at campers that have easy access to get at plumbing and your furnace. Some campers have a ducting system that provides AC or heat, throughout the rig, not just blowing from the furnace. Those are the ones you want.

Dealers will tell you "This is a winterized rig". Take a look at the plumbing in the cupboards Does it run right up against the outside wall where it will freeze? Or, does it run through the basement and then just come up through the floor? In the basement, is the plumbing along the floor of the basement, or is it mounted to the top (where warm gets to it better) of the space which would be the bottom of the floor you walk on?

I'll wait for more questions, but there are a lot of things to do to prepare for Winter.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:23 PM

We decided on a camper because of the cost. Our small camper is a 2010 and has a trade in value of $10k and is paid for. If we sell it out right maybe we would get 10k but rent here starts around 1400 a month, plus electric, maybe water, etc. that would eat up the 10k fast. But our rent on our lot for winter will be $790 and payment on a new camper $150-$200 and electric is included. The purpose of coming here is to get ahead on all the bills we got behind on in FLA. We can also move and take our home with us or sell it.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:36 PM

I get you, just listen to Elk...He has the experience you'll need to be comfortable in an RV if we have a normal winter. I like my creature comforts too much. Good to have a goal though, you'll be fine. I guess I have to go to the other thread to find out how Kelly is liking her new job

Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I get you, just listen to Elk...He has the experience you'll need to be comfortable in an RV if we have a normal winter. I like my creature comforts too much. Good to have a goal though, you'll be fine. I guess I have to go to the other thread to find out how Kelly is liking her new job
Jan, Kelly here I like my creature comforts too, I am hoping that I can get a few creature comforts in my camper too...lol actually that are some really nice campers out there.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,091,844 times
I'm not sure what kind of "creature comforts" one would need. I had a garden tub/shower, a queen sized bed, a walk in closet, central air, a bar-b-q, picnic table, etc. What else would you want?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrone10011 View Post
Jan, Kelly here I like my creature comforts too, I am hoping that I can get a few creature comforts in my camper too...lol actually that are some really nice campers out there.
I have seen some of those fancy RVs...Yes, some have some amazing features. My issues are more about space, being able to garden, in my mind I would be giving up several things the differences between an RV and a home are too many to list....but on a temporary basis, a couple years one could do it. I know you'll find the right one Keep us posted, maybe some pics eventually when you find your "right" one

Last edited by JanND; 04-29-2012 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,251,349 times
You'll often hear/read about "four season" campers. That's what you want, but don't believe most of that. I've seen "four season" campers advertised that are far from it in the north. In Alabama they might be fours season campers, but not in North Dakota.

I've never lived in a camper during the winter, but from what others tell me, dual pane windows are a must have, both for warmth and for controlling moisture around the windows. They're optional on the better brands.

The best ones are probably Teton Homes, but they went out of business a couple years ago, so you'd be looking for a late model used one. Close behind would be New Horizon and Double Tree, which are now called DRV Suites -- Elite Suites and Mobile Suites. They have thicker walls (4"?) so have more room for insulation. Hitchhiker and Excel also make good four season campers. Other quality 5th wheel campers that have recently gone out of business are Carriage and Travel Supreme.

If you're considering used campers, I wouldn't be too worried about the "orphaned" brands. Appliances and most other parts that go into building campers are pretty much the same from one brand to the next.

Most larger 5th wheel campers use two air conditioners. Some have the option of one of them being a heat pump. If your electricity is included in your lot rent, the heat pump would probably save you some propane in the spring and fall -- probably not much during the winter, as heat pumps don't do well in the winter.

Speaking of propane, this will be a major expense in the winter for a camper in ND. MAJOR! You can use electric heaters for much of the heating, but you'll need to run the furnace to keep the pipes from freezing. You'd definitely want a large tank, not the little bottles that come with the camper.

Once you get your camper and park it for winter use, you'll want it skirted, perhaps build a little porch for the front door, maybe use some heat tape, etc., etc.

I don't know where you plan to park it, but I'd talk to the park manager/maintenance people about the best way to keep your water and sewer hookups from freezing -- and if they're even allowed in the winter.

I live in NE Wyoming, and there are a number of people here who spend their winters in their campers, so I guess it can be done. You might want to talk to some people up there who do it before you buy....

Quality four season 5ers are heavy, so you'd want at least a 1-ton dually to tow most of them.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 04-29-2012 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota