Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 01:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times

Advertisements

Just a little bit of North Dakota history for you. Enjoy.

'Zip to Zap' Documentary- Zap Revisited - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,729 times
I remember hearing about it, but I was much too young to be zipping to Zap.

They raised the price of a beer to 50 cents... that was just asking for trouble.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,126 times
My name is Don Homuth. I was the editor of the NDSU Spectrum the week after Kevin Carvell wrote and printed the now famous piece that kicked the whole thing off. I got the phone calls from all over the country saying that people were coming, did the television and newspaper interviews for weeks afterwards.
I was en route when the National Guard got called in by the governor. Then I got to handle a bunch of after the fact recriminations.
But from where I stood then and still stand now, this was one of the funniest, most memorable incidence in North Dakota history. I see where the ND Historical Society ranks it third on their list of notable matters.
Just to give fair warning, Kevin and I spoke just yesterday of noting, to our considerable surprise, that next year will be the 50th anniversary. We are starting to get in touch with others of the old gang who were directly involved. We plan to show up at least for a day.
It's just one of those things we Have to do.
My old sweatshirt is now in possession of the City of Zap. I gave it to one of the city officials ten years ago at the 40th reunion. I still have the Zip to Zap commemorative license plates I bought from one of the vendors, and have put them on cars I've entered in car shows several times. One person out here at the Portland Roadster Show actually knew what it was about. I also featured it on the cover of one of the books I wrote several years ago.
I hope the city officials in Zap will want to do some early planning about the event. I have just No idea how many people might show up, but it's something to seriously consider.
In future years, few who were actually on the scene at the time will probably show up to observe the event. I will be 75 next year. But it could become something of an annual city event, if it were to be thought through and marketed properly.
Over fifty years, memories have softened somewhat. The initial upset was indicative more of the times than from what actually happened.
A shout-out to the memory of Norman Fuchs -- the mayor at the time. I spoke with him often and remember him fondly. Nice man, caught up in a Happening that sort of got away from all of us.
Looking forward to next year!

Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,359,658 times
What a great piece of history, I'm glad it's not being forgotten. I'll try and find the time to visit Zap when I come to ND on vacation, in 2020.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
The Zip to Zap 50th anniversary is coming up in May of this year, 2019. There are currently two Facebook sites for events and news about the anniversary, tons of photos and news articles plus event swag at Zip To Zap 50 here [url]https://www.facebook.com/ziptozap50/[/url] and the town of Zap has a 5k entry and more info on their site at Zip to Zap at [url]https://www.facebook.com/Zip-to-Zap-1969-2019-222963504967539/[/url]

Old 03-01-2019, 07:11 PM

4,872 posts, read 6,935,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Just a little bit of North Dakota history for you. Enjoy.

'Zip to Zap' Documentary- Zap Revisited - YouTube
After this went on, students at South Dakota State University thought that they should come up with their own rendition of "Zip to Zap". It was known as "Whip to White." The tiny Village of White is only 7 miles from Brookings SD where SDSU is located. The object was to drink the town dry. I do not know if they accomplished this. I do know that it was one big party. Not the size of Zap's, but pretty big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota