Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 11,152 times

Advertisements

We are having a terrible time trying to figure out if we should move back to the Midwest after living in the Pacific NorthWest for almost 9 years. We LOVE the town and area we live in but have no family near. All of our family live in ND and MN. There is an opportunity to work in the Bismarck area and we've been through the pros and cons over and over and over again. We are completely torn on what to do. We are pretty liberal and are not religious, which makes us a little nervous about heading back to North Dakota. But, we have two young kids and they only see family once or twice a year. *sigh* We realize it's up to us to figure out what's best, but it's been so hard! If anyone has any info that might help us out, we'd appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 07:49 PM

35 posts, read 72,338 times
Stay. We moved back to ND to be closer to family and I wish we hadn't. ND has changed A LOT in the past nine years and it's not all for the better.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:33 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Sorry to hear Jim.... I see you are in Jamestown what has changed so much?

But in regards to the OP question....is the new job a career advancement? Otherwise it seems from the post and from experience of living 1200 miles away from family up here I would vote to stay in the place you love. It seems you might feel a little guilt being so far away....but I think you might feel more resentment moving back and then it is not enough to replace the love for the town you live now. If it is something temporary, say for health reasons for your family, then that would be reasonable....otherwise I feel you will resent the move as Bismarck may not live up to where you live now. Bismarck that said is a nice family city and growing pretty fast. But it isnt the Pac NW.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:06 AM

80 posts, read 194,637 times
From what I hear is that Fargo is pretty liberal and fun. A lot of jobs there and I wish I did get the job offer I wanted therer.

I am living in Bismarck, and would not call it super conservative. It is nowhere on the East Texas status from where I lived for school. I wouldn't stress too much about it tbh.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 PM

65 posts, read 117,369 times
North Dakota may be a "red" state but it's really not anything close to what I'd brand as Texas conservative. It sure as hell isn't the "Left" Coast either. Bismarck is the capital city so it's gonna be slightly more progressive than most other towns in the state. Nice city overall and my favorite in the entire state. Big enough to have all the amenities yet small enough (for now) to keep traffic moving, maintain a low crime rate, and have very personable people. It's hard to put a price on being near family or being in a place you love and enjoy. I'd therefore take anyone's advice on here with a grain of salt and let your heard and brain be your guide.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:18 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
North Dakota may be a "red" state but it's really not anything close to what I'd brand as Texas conservative. It sure as hell isn't the "Left" Coast either. Bismarck is the capital city so it's gonna be slightly more progressive than most other towns in the state. Nice city overall and my favorite in the entire state. Big enough to have all the amenities yet small enough (for now) to keep traffic moving, maintain a low crime rate, and have very personable people. It's hard to put a price on being near family or being in a place you love and enjoy. I'd therefore take anyone's advice on here with a grain of salt and let your heard and brain be your guide.
Agree....to the OP both options are good ones... Bismarck is a nice place ( a bit too hilly for this flatlander ) but anyhow only you can know what is right.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:59 PM

419 posts, read 1,396,336 times
"Bismarck is the capital city so it's gonna be slightly more progressive than most other towns in the state."

That statement is absolutely untrue. The two cities with the major universities--Fargo & Grand Forks--are the more progressive cities in the state.
I have not lived in Bismarck. I have friends & colleagues that have. They described it as somewhat redneck and not at all a welcoming place for a single, professional woman. That may not relate to your situation, so take it for what it's worth.
Bismarck is also feeling the effects of the oil boom--so rather than the state government employees running the town, it's now the oil company interests running the state government.
If it were me, I'd stay in the Pacific NW.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 PM

35 posts, read 72,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
"Bismarck is the capital city so it's gonna be slightly more progressive than most other towns in the state."

That statement is absolutely untrue. The two cities with the major universities--Fargo & Grand Forks--are the more progressive cities in the state.
I have not lived in Bismarck. I have friends & colleagues that have. They described it as somewhat redneck and not at all a welcoming place for a single, professional woman. That may not relate to your situation, so take it for what it's worth.
Bismarck is also feeling the effects of the oil boom--so rather than the state government employees running the town, it's now the oil company interests running the state government.
If it were me, I'd stay in the Pacific NW.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 11,152 times
Hmmm..Thank you all for your input. Bismarck is the only option - we are not weighing which town we might prefer. I would definitely prefer the Fargo area if we had any choice, but we don't. We both went to college in that area (my husband NDSU, I went to Concordia in Moorhead). But, location comparisons between where we live now and Bismarck are no contest. PNW wins for sure. We do feel guilt, mostly because we have small children. Until recently, they were the only grandchildren for either of our families. There is one other now, and we just got news of a new pregnancy, so there would be another cousin. But, my kids will be older than them, so much so, I don't believe they would have the close relationship my husband and I remember since we had cousins the same age. I would love to be nearer my nephew and for my kids to be closer to certain family members, but here is also plenty of dysfunction that, frankly, concerns me when it comes to influence on our kids. The area concerns me as well when it comes to this point. There are no major health concerns with anyone at this time, but part of our thought process is that we should consider moving closer for when those things will inevitably happen.

I also do not like to hear of the control the oil companies have. Having family in the area, I have heard many sad stories of how negatively this boom has effected lifelong residents.

It is amazing how torn we are on this. We have not been able to come to a definitive decision and it is driving us crazy. We had actually decided to not even apply, but then panicked and figured my husband should at least do that. That was 6 weeks ago. It feels like this has been going on for months. It has been very stressful.
Again, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 PM

517 posts, read 1,051,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentsailing View Post
Hmmm..Thank you all for your input. Bismarck is the only option - we are not weighing which town we might prefer. I would definitely prefer the Fargo area if we had any choice, but we don't. We both went to college in that area (my husband NDSU, I went to Concordia in Moorhead). But, location comparisons between where we live now and Bismarck are no contest. PNW wins for sure. We do feel guilt, mostly because we have small children. Until recently, they were the only grandchildren for either of our families. There is one other now, and we just got news of a new pregnancy, so there would be another cousin. But, my kids will be older than them, so much so, I don't believe they would have the close relationship my husband and I remember since we had cousins the same age. I would love to be nearer my nephew and for my kids to be closer to certain family members, but here is also plenty of dysfunction that, frankly, concerns me when it comes to influence on our kids. The area concerns me as well when it comes to this point. There are no major health concerns with anyone at this time, but part of our thought process is that we should consider moving closer for when those things will inevitably happen.

I also do not like to hear of the control the oil companies have. Having family in the area, I have heard many sad stories of how negatively this boom has effected lifelong residents.

It is amazing how torn we are on this. We have not been able to come to a definitive decision and it is driving us crazy. We had actually decided to not even apply, but then panicked and figured my husband should at least do that. That was 6 weeks ago. It feels like this has been going on for months. It has been very stressful.
Again, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it!
I moved back to Texas after working in D.C and over seas. I wanted to move back, but even at that, it became constricting and I escaped to Fargo, and will probably never return. (Or I might who knows with me?)

Unless you really really miss your parents, and they are in Bismark, stay where you are. If they are in Fargo and you are in Bismark, you have accomplished nothing. Personally, as a new grandfather, (careful, I have pictures) I still have a life to live and being a built in baby sitter, referee a money lender is not a job I really want. However, give me 10 years and when I retire, I will want more time with my grand kids. But, while I think Bismark is probably a wonderful town, I will probably be more likely to rent a winter apartment in the Pacific Northwest than in Bismark.

So, if I had it to do over, I would chase my career, and the let the grandparents chase the grand kids.

Cheers
Qazulight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota