Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:38 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,692,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
maybe South Dakota would be a better choice now since there is a housing crisis in North Dakota.
She has a job offer in North Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 12:10 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,347,984 times
You're going to have more of a culture shock moving there than they will be concerned with your ethnic background. It is a very remote and desolate place, and I always thought should be considered a remote tour for Air Force members. I was stationed there in '87 and was glad to leave if I'm being honest.

It is a sportsman's paradise if you're into such things, but nightlife and social functions are lacking.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:46 PM

231 posts, read 873,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
You're going to have more of a culture shock moving there than they will be concerned with your ethnic background. It is a very remote and desolate place, and I always thought should be considered a remote tour for Air Force members. I was stationed there in '87 and was glad to leave if I'm being honest.

It is a sportsman's paradise if you're into such things, but nightlife and social functions are lacking.
How many times have you been back in the past 27 years?

Old 08-27-2014, 09:33 PM

5,592 posts, read 5,044,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post

Which one ND or SD?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:29 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,347,984 times
North Dakota, and I will admit I have not been back. It's hard to believe it's been that long!

Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM

8 posts, read 17,483 times
Gator girl- do whatever you can to locate housing before you go to Minot. Oil basin development has caused critical housing shortages, which extend out from Williston because people have to live somewhere. I think you said you have a new job, so it might be worth while to ask the HR department before you move for whatever information or resources they might have. The school district in Williston has actually provided housing to teachers (school enrollments have been rising with the population). The influx of people makes things trickier, because people are coming from all over the country.

In North Dakota, racism tends to be directed towards Native Americans more than other minorities. Also, the male to female ratio is pretty high and women in western ND have described worrying about their safety.

Come winter, respect blizzard warnings (the national weather service has forecast a mild winter this year, tihough). People from out east tend to think "4 inches of snow? What's the big deal?" without understanding what arctic winds blowing unobstructed from Saskatchewan do in the open spaces. Yes, you will wear long underwear!

ND is politically very conservative with state government dominated for years by Republicans. However, the state reacted strongly when a white supremacist bought property in a small town and announced his vision of creating a white supremacist enclave.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:03 PM

350 posts, read 571,056 times
I've personally never gotten a racist vibe from Minot, but I suppose like any other place you go there will be racists and there will be more accepting people. Like many have said, Minot is typically more diverse than other cities in ND because of the AFB population. We also have one of the larger universities in the state so we get in many different young people from all over the world, not just ND. I don't think you'll have any problems here if you take the job - just be yourself and people of any worth will accept you for that, not for the color of your skin.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 PM

106 posts, read 166,199 times
What a dumb question. Im black, I live in a very rural, small town in ND (im the only black person in my town, probably in my county, LOL), but I dont care about that, because I am colorblind. In fact, Im more conservative than most white people, so I fit right in, in ND!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:43 PM

5,592 posts, read 5,044,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM2500YO View Post
What a dumb question. Im black, I live in a very rural, small town in ND (im the only black person in my town, probably in my county, LOL), but I dont care about that, because I am colorblind. In fact, Im more conservative than most white people, so I fit right in, in ND!
If you present yourself to others well and come across as a reasonable person you shouldn't have a problem. Communication.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:21 PM

431 posts, read 1,607,667 times
Gatorgirl33,
Come on up to Minot. I have many friends of many nationalities and none of us have had any problems with racism. Most of the hatred that there is, is coming from out of state. If you work hard, pay your bills, no problems. It really helps if you like yourself for who you are. I work with couples of mixed races, mainly black/white with beautiful children. Lately, due to the energy, we have had more Hispanics. They are really hard working people. Your only limitation will be your attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota