Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 563 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm from Michigan and going to UND for my masters in social work. I have applied to a scholarship program that in return I am obligated to work in the western part of the state including: : Three-Affiliated Tribes and the following counties: Stark, McKenzie, Mountrail, Ward, Williams, Dunn, and Divide
(Standing Rock Reservation. Every state is different with social services anyways let alone I really do not know much about the area besides media and what I've heard from people who moved there during the oil boom. I was interested in the opinions of social services programs in that area or the state in general and if any specific areas are more desirable as a whole compared to others on the list. Any input helps. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 08:50 AM

576 posts, read 830,455 times
It was hard to tell from your post, but it looks like Standing Rock Reservation is one of your options. That would be the furthest away from the crime of the Bakken area where most of your other options are located. Also not sure if you are male or female, but if you are female, I would definitely recommend you stay away from the rural areas of the Bakken.

Stark and Ward counties would be the only two I would recommend in the Bakken area, because they are on the fringes of the oil activity and have bigger cities (Dickinson and Minot respectively) that are generally a little safer.

I cannot speak to the social work agencies in any of these areas, but I can make a very general statement that the biggest problems you will be dealing with at Standing Rock would be broken homes, gambling and alcohol addictions. In the Bakken, you will be dealing with alcohol and drug abuse, isolation issues, rapes, and a host of other crimes. Again, these are broad statements, but seem to be what you hear about most from those areas.

My mom was a social worker in Bismarck for many years, but that was a long time ago and times have definitely changed - especially in ND!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota