Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:54 AM

15 posts, read 30,203 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting Grand Forks in a few weeks for the first time. There is an exciting job opportunity there, and we want to get a feel for the place before deciding.

What are things we should do / places we should visit, to really see the best of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 03:43 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat1 View Post
My wife and I will be visiting Grand Forks in a few weeks for the first time. There is an exciting job opportunity there, and we want to get a feel for the place before deciding.

What are things we should do / places we should visit, to really see the best of the area?
Hi

I work in Grand Forks and live across the river in East Grand Forks. Ive been here for nearly 20 years.

University sports dominate this time of year.... football at the Alerus on Saturday afternoons... Hockey season begins in early October. Even if you dont like college hockey at least a visit or tour of Ralph Engelstad Arena would be very nice.

Fall activities are in full swing around the area.... there are a few pumpkin patches.... Nelson's Pumpkin patch near the Air Base is one our family goes to. Farmer's market ends Sept 16th... that is downtown.

For food Skys restaurant downtown is local and more upscale. Also downtown local favorites Rhombus Guys pizza and they also opened up a micro-brew restaurant.

The Experience - Rhombus Guys Brewing Company

In East Grand Forks....there is the Blue Moose which is a nice place and locally owned. Cabela's is there too which is a hunting and outdoor store chain.

We have many of the typical chain restaurants a smaller city has....

There is the North Dakota Art Museum on UND campus

A visit to Choice Health and Fitness would be nice too....there are several private owned fitness places as well. But this is operated by the Parks District.

That is what come's off my head. You can visit the Grand Forks visitors bureau and the Grand Forks downtown association on the web for more info.

Anything specific you can ask me. We have kids so we do mostly kid stuff and sporting activities and not so much getting around town.

Dan

Old 09-13-2016, 05:12 PM

On one hand it'd be nice to see all the natural beauty, which is one of the selling points, on the other hand, it'd be nice to see that it's not "the sticks" (we come from a major urban area). So I figured we'd (A) go to the Columbia Mall, (B) explore the downtown area, and (C) explore the Greenway (or other park/nature area)

(A) I believe the Columbia Mall is the nice mall; is that correct? Or should we go to the Grand Cities Mall?

(B) Where would be nice places to walk around? Is there a beautiful downtown area where we could wander around a bit? Is it better to walk around East Grand Forks or Grand Forks?

(C) Is the Greenway nice this time of year? what's the best parts for walking around? (particularly, if it's close to the downtown area). We won't be doing activities this time, so preferably somewhere pretty (more like an oversized lawn than like a forest)

Is there anything I missed? Or something just outside of town that's really worth seeing?
We will only be in town for 2 days, and part of the time is already allocated. but we will be on both sides of the Red River during that time, and can easily check out both Grand Forks and East Grand Forks

Old 09-13-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat1 View Post
On one hand it'd be nice to see all the natural beauty, which is one of the selling points, on the other hand, it'd be nice to see that it's not "the sticks" (we come from a major urban area). So I figured we'd (A) go to the Columbia Mall, (B) explore the downtown area, and (C) explore the Greenway (or other park/nature area)

(A) I believe the Columbia Mall is the nice mall; is that correct? Or should we go to the Grand Cities Mall?

(B) Where would be nice places to walk around? Is there a beautiful downtown area where we could wander around a bit? Is it better to walk around East Grand Forks or Grand Forks?

(C) Is the Greenway nice this time of year? what's the best parts for walking around? (particularly, if it's close to the downtown area). We won't be doing activities this time, so preferably somewhere pretty (more like an oversized lawn than like a forest)

Is there anything I missed? Or something just outside of town that's really worth seeing?
We will only be in town for 2 days, and part of the time is already allocated. but we will be on both sides of the Red River during that time, and can easily check out both Grand Forks and East Grand Forks

Your perception of if it's in the sticks or not really depends on where you are at now. It is a decent size small city with a major University and thus does offer more than what say some towns with population of 55K may offer. It is a hub for the area.... Around the region is farmland and the rich soil is farmed extensively. It is flat as well with no natural hills in town, we do have the levee/dyke hills/flood walls that were finished in 5 to 10 years ago due to the 97 flood. It has most of all what you would want but outside of town is pretty open so there are no suburbs per se like a major metro would have.

Columbia Mall is the mall in the city. It is ok size..... Scheels is an anchor (sporting goods store which is very nice) as well as Sears, JcPenny and Macy's. Grand Forks cannot be compared to Fargo area which many try to do, but Fargo metro draws from 3 times the population and thus its West Acres Mall is bigger.

Our SuperTarget is nice....we go there a lot.

Grand Cities mall is mostly locally owned businesses, Ace Hardware, Christian bookstore, few other odds and ends. It is anchored by KMart. We dont go there too often, for no real reason in particular.

Greenway offers trails on the ND and MN sides of the rivers and there are two pedestrian bridges over the river, one north end of town and the other around Lincoln Golf Course. There are extensive trails and good for walking. Also there are walking trails along the English Coulee through the UND campus and down a bit toward the Mall. But the greenway is a nice place for nature walks.

Greenway trails can be assessed right from downtown and from many points in along the river. Lots of color when you arrive for trees as they are changing now. They will start falling and be past peak in a few weeks. Weather from mid Sept to mid Oct is one of the best times of the year. We can have a frost or freeze (which helps with bugs) but daytimes often mild.

Weather is one area that some are scared of about the area. Depends on where you are from. But embrace the winter it isnt as bad as what you think most likely. But certainly rivers and lakes freeze over and snow is on the ground for a few months.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:44 PM

For downtown.... I would visit Widmans Candy store...locally owned..on north 3rd street. Get some chippers chocolate covered potato chips. It is right next to Rhombus Guys brew pup, which is in the lower level of the old Opera house. Potatoes and sugar beets are grow in the area along with wheat (which has been harvested). Beet harvest is a big deal and last for about 2 weeks usually first two weeks in October. You will see plenty of trucks hauling beets to the plant in East Grand Forks.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:57 PM

One thing about moving here... people do under-estimate the cost of living. They just assume it is in the Midwest and but be cheap. I have chatted with several folks over the years on this forum and most are surprised at housing costs. The public schools here are very good (if you were wondering) and there are some private Catholic schools (several K-5 and one K-12).

I find everyone friendly....down to earth....value of hard work goes a long way in these parts and we look after one another. But there is that Minnesota "nice" in which some may find un-friendly...but in reality we respect other people's space and dont barge in but will help you out anytime it is needed.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
One thing about moving here... people do under-estimate the cost of living. They just assume it is in the Midwest and but be cheap. I have chatted with several folks over the years on this forum and most are surprised at housing costs. The public schools here are very good (if you were wondering) and there are some private Catholic schools (several K-5 and one K-12).

I find everyone friendly....down to earth....value of hard work goes a long way in these parts and we look after one another. But there is that Minnesota "nice" in which some may find un-friendly...but in reality we respect other people's space and dont barge in but will help you out anytime it is needed.
Thanks for the great help.
Cost-wise, I've looked into it, and make my adjustments accordingly. (let's just say that where I live right now, the cost of housing is just about double).
Weatherwise, the cold doesn't really bother me (not saying I won't feel the deep cold, just that I can deal with it). I really want to skate on lakes & rivers again, which I haven't done in years. The wife is from warmer climates, but she just wants to get away from the heat.
"sticks", I realize could be taken the wrong way. Right now we live in a large population center, and we know that Grand Forks is much smaller. But size doesn't tell the whole story, and my understanding, and expectation, is that there's plenty of stuff to do. Basically, I think Grand Forks is most definitely not "the sticks", and during this trip we'd like to see that. The goal is to see how nice the place is, and that it's a place where we want to raise our family.

So, would it be a nice walk to, say, start at Widman's candy store, then cross the bridge on Demers Ave, and explore the East Grand Forks downtown? or should we just stay on the North Dakota side of the bridge? Is the Greenway around there nice, and, if so, which side of the river is nicer? Or should we wander around the Greenway in a different area?

You also brought up a good point that I'd want to ask at some point anyway. Are the schools better in Grand Forks or East Grand Forks? Which particular areas do you most recommend in that respect?
Are there certain parts of town that are nicer, and are there parts of town that we should avoid?

Old 09-13-2016, 07:10 PM

Hi

Glad to hear you are excited about the visit. I am from Kentucky but work in the weather field (meteorologist) and always wanted to live north and got my chance. I work for federal agency NOAA. I would never leave anywhere else.

For your walking area.....you can park downtown (on street parking mostly or park on the EGF side in one of the parking lots) walk 3rd, 4th and 5th Street (N and S) Demers Ave is the divider between north and south in terms of streets. I would spend some time downtown....Widmans is nice.... then you can walk over the Demers (Sorlie) bridge to downtown East Grand Forks. There is Cabela's there and on the other side of Demers, Whitey's which is a historical locally owned restaurant and the Blue Moose, Boardwalk Restaurant, A Thai Place etc. Lunch at any one of those Blue Moose is a personal favorite.

Either greenway path on either side is fine. If you want to do the GF side you can take if from the bridge then go south or north and walk...south will take you to the Pointe Bridge (Minnesota Ave) then south of there very near the river and toward Lincoln Park. You can turn around and head back. I would just explore and see how much time you got and of course the weather. If it is raining then your walk time will be shorter.

Concerning the two....Grand Forks is of course a lot bigger. East Grand Forks is more like a small town next door. We choose to build there in 2003 as land is cheaper and real estate taxes cheaper....but you do have the Minnesota income tax and car registration taxes which are considerably higher. But we like the school district which is smaller (public school).

Grand Forks is growing south....with most all the new growth south...south of 32nd Ave S. New growth areas are 40th Ave S, 47th Ave S and those areas....even 55th ave S. There is a new elementary school opened up just south of 40th Ave S and west of Columbia. Lots of new apartments in that area too. The area east of Washington and south of say 17th down to 32nd) is a very nice residential area of 1950s-70s year built homes and well kept. 32nd to 47th and east of Washington is mostly 70s-80s year built homes and very nice and quiet.

Newer development around the Alerus Center on the west side of town south of Demers and areas west of Columbia. mostly 90s era homes.

Newest homes south of 47th, and along Belmont and then over 55th Ave S to Washington and in areas between 47th and 40th Ave S. A typical 4BR/3BA home with 3 car garage new or newer mostly mid to high 300s and up. New developments will have specials to pay too on top of regular taxes.... as the city has assessments to each plot of land for new roads, sewers, lightning etc. It can add up.

In East Grand Forks we live in the far south end and it is very residential and quiet.

Grand Forks-EGF overall is very safe. There are no areas to avoid per se.... areas that have older homes and maybe more sketchy people but that doesnt mean unsafe. Yes there is some crime....like in most areas it is whom you know. Like in many areas of the country there are drugs around and it has an impact, but again if you are not involved in it then you hav nothing to worry. It isnt nearly has bad as many areas of the country...but it is there. Police here do a great job. There are college students that frequent downtown bars and stores which does add vibrancy to the area.

Public schools in both communities are just fine. Each one about equal and there is no bad schools on one side of town and better schools on one side. Yes north side (north of Demers) is the older part of town and the south (far south) newer but schools and teachers and resources are good at anyone of those. This area takes public education seriously. Sacred Heart in EGF is K-12 private Catholic school and is great. St Michaels and Holy Family schools are K-5 and are good if you want a Catholic education for kids.

Most of the shopping is 32nd Ave centered...big box area esp from 20th Ave S west to I-29. SuperTarget, Walmart, mall, Olive Garden, Lowes, Menards, etc etc

I maybe a bit naive but the place is a place I feel comfortable about not locking my car doors....I may be just lazy....but really dont see the need to I guess.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:17 PM

Hwy 2 is the more industrial part of town 32nd Ave exit is the shopping area.. Demers exit off of I-29 is in between and closer to UND then it takes you into downtown.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:07 PM

Hi. When is your trip up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota