Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 PM

38 posts, read 55,896 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So the family and I have arrived in Grand Forks - been here for two weeks now and moved into our place. Slowly getting settled and finding our way around.

What is the best place for grocery shopping?
Are there certain stores you visited for particular items or produce?

We like to eat fresh but shop to a budget. I was thinking that the US would be cheaper than Australia but from my limited look so far, grocery prices are comparable or slightly higher in some areas.

What are your recommendations?
And if you don't mind me asking, what do you budget for a weekly shop (family)?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 09:42 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers02 View Post
Hi,

So the family and I have arrived in Grand Forks - been here for two weeks now and moved into our place. Slowly getting settled and finding our way around.

What is the best place for grocery shopping?
Are there certain stores you visited for particular items or produce?

We like to eat fresh but shop to a budget. I was thinking that the US would be cheaper than Australia but from my limited look so far, grocery prices are comparable or slightly higher in some areas.

What are your recommendations?
And if you don't mind me asking, what do you budget for a weekly shop (family)?

Thanks.
Hi

Welcome to town. Nice time to arrive with the leaves color and leaves falling. Hope it isnt too cool yet for you. We are on our way into the rapid decent known as winter. But we still have a few good weeks left. Halloween can be iffy weather wise. It has been warm (50F) and it has been cold (15F).

Shopping We are a family of 5. We do have some food allergies and thus those items cost quite a bit moore, such as non-dairy, no egg, no peanut food.

Hugo's has been around here for a long time and was founded here.
Hornbacher is from Fargo and recently opened up. I havent been into the store personally. Used to Hugo's.

Honestly we have found shopping for many grocery items better at Target...we use the 5 pct off order by using Target card.

We do Sam's Club, need to be a member and pay a yearly fee....but for bulk items such as paper towels, toilet paper, milk, cereals, etc prices per item are cheaper.

I have not been to Nature's Grocery which is new to town. But some at work have and they loved it.

In general though on basic items, I dont think there is a huge difference. I prefer Target for the 5 pct off on order using the Target card, and the store is clean and checkout nice.

For meats, by far the best are at L & M meats at Washington and 24th.

We dont have a food budget per se and with some special higher priced foods due to food allergies we pay more than the average family.

If I could estimate per week on food/grocery items, incl misc toiletries and such $300. But highly variable week to week.

best of luck here in the states and in Grand Forks. Welcome!

--Dan

Old 10-13-2016, 10:29 PM

32 posts, read 37,192 times
I haven't lived in Grand Forks for about 2 years, but when I was there I split my shopping between Hugo's and Target-certain items would be cheaper at one place or the other.

Keep an eye on weekly sales, and as noted, you can save a lot of money off list price at Target using the Target Red Card along with Target's Cartwheel app.

Most Hugo's tend to have a good deli, which I enjoyed, whereas Target's deli was mediocre in comparison.

Hugo's tends to have more traditional brands, whereas Target will have the newer, less known brands if you are looking to try something new.

I'm not sure if the Walmart's in GF have groceries, they probably do, but I never shopped there. At least in Colorado, their grocery prices aren't that low. Kroger, Target and Walmart will all be cheapest on some items, but none really stand out as lowest overall. A lot of competition in the grocery industry.

Also, not sure if "fresh"=produce (veggies & fruit) to you, but I personally felt Hugo's produce was superior to Target in that aspect.

I never frequented Hornbacher's, but friends have told me it's pricier than Hugo's.

My main Hugo's was the one on Gateway, but the one on 17th and Washington is a lot newer, may have wider variety of goods.

That post got a little long, my apologies.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:46 AM

The best Hugo's is on 32nd.... East Grand Forks one very nice too. Yes both Walmarts in town have groceries. New one on gateway pretty nice

Old 10-14-2016, 12:49 PM

32 posts, read 37,192 times
What makes that one superior in your mind? Have you been to the one on 17th and Washington?

Old 10-14-2016, 08:17 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,001 times
Produce is pretty much no contest. Amazing Grains Co-op downtown has the best local/organic selection.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem316 View Post
What makes that one superior in your mind? Have you been to the one on 17th and Washington?
Yes. I've been to all of them. Our oldest son has food allergies and the 32nd and eastsidecstores have a much much larger selection of non dairy....no peanut food as those two under went renovation of late to put in a larger organic and allergen free areas.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:26 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
I don't know if there's one in Grand Forks or not, but I'm pretty partial to shopping for groceries at Cash Wise. They often have good deals.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I don't know if there's one in Grand Forks or not, but I'm pretty partial to shopping for groceries at Cash Wise. They often have good deals.
Hi...

The Super One was closest to what Cash Wise is in Fargo but the Super One store was bought by Hornbacher's. No Cash Wise in GF.

Typically we split between Target and Hugo's. Walmart groceries can be cheaper. For fresh produce....the late summer/early Fall Farmer's market in downtown GF is the best. In the off season, produce quality can be hit or miss at the stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota