Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2016, 07:47 PM

11 posts, read 14,096 times

Advertisements

Moving to ND
I am a Black person who has lived in Florida my entire life but I am considering moving to east South Dakota. I have never lived on my own and have never seen snow before. I plan on getting a job and moving there 8 mths ahead of time to get use to the way of life there and to qualify for in state tuition, the school I will be attending will take a year to complete. So, in total I will be there for 2 years. However, if all goes well I would like to stay for a couple more. Do you think my Toyota Prius will be enough to drive around in?
A ticket to North Dakota is extremely expensive and I am not sure if I will be able to visit all the schools I"m interested in? I really need some tips on what to do and how to survive there?
I'm looking at areas like Wahpeton, Fargo, Grand fork, Mayville, and Devil's Lake
I am also considering South dakota schools too but North Dakota is my 1st choice.

Last edited by kgacares; 10-21-2016 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 09:43 PM

576 posts, read 830,455 times
Well, it is definitely going to be a DRASTIC change from Florida! But it sounds like you have a good plan and are ready for an adventure. You can definitely survive for 2-4 years.... just keep looking at the light at the end of the tunnel! Ha ha!

No, it's not that bad. The winters can be very brutal and very long. It gets very depressing by the time March rolls around. Sounds like you will be busy with school and work, so the time should pass pretty quick for you.

The prius should be ok, as long as you are not living out in the country. In town, the streets are usually passable for most of the winter. Driving in snow and on ice requires a whole new set of skills - the best approach is to go slow and get accustomed to it. Buy some winter clothes. Better to dress in layers rather than a t-shirt with a heavy coat. One of the worst parts of the weather up there is the wind.... it will blow right through a single layer. You will also need a shovel - because you will get stuck in the snow! It's not a matter of if - it's a matter of when!

Have you checked ticket prices with Allegiant Air? Not sure where you are in Florida, but I believe they fly in and out of Orlando, Tampa / St. Pete, and maybe one more. Anyway, they fly to a few airports in ND and have good prices sometimes. That way, you could make like a 3 day trip and check out some of the schools.

From the standpoint of work and just fitting in, you might want to consider the schools in Grand Forks and Fargo. More job opportunities, more diversity, etc. Of course, the cost of living is higher too.

Otherwise, you will find the people friendly for the most part. But there is some racism that still exists there. Nothing overt and you shouldn't have any problems as long as you keep your nose clean and are respectful. Work hard to prove their narrow minded stereotypes wrong and you will be fine from that regard. That is why I suggested schools in Fargo or GF, because there will be more students there from other states and will be more diverse (both in race and in acceptance). It will be important for you to have friends there who can help you when you need it.

I really see your biggest challenge though, will be the winter. It will be a great experience for you though - how else do you know if you like something or not unless you try it! Best of luck!

Old 10-22-2016, 11:04 PM

15 posts, read 30,200 times
I hope this doesn't come across wrong, but, you said both here and in another thread that you're interested in South Dakota, but are referencing places in North Dakota.

If you've never seen snow, your first snowfall will be a magical experience.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat1 View Post
I hope this doesn't come across wrong, but, you said both here and in another thread that you're interested in South Dakota, but are referencing places in North Dakota.

If you've never seen snow, your first snowfall will be a magical experience.
Sorry, I meant North Dakota.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Well, it is definitely going to be a DRASTIC change from Florida! But it sounds like you have a good plan and are ready for an adventure. You can definitely survive for 2-4 years.... just keep looking at the light at the end of the tunnel! Ha ha!

No, it's not that bad. The winters can be very brutal and very long. It gets very depressing by the time March rolls around. Sounds like you will be busy with school and work, so the time should pass pretty quick for you.

The prius should be ok, as long as you are not living out in the country. In town, the streets are usually passable for most of the winter. Driving in snow and on ice requires a whole new set of skills - the best approach is to go slow and get accustomed to it. Buy some winter clothes. Better to dress in layers rather than a t-shirt with a heavy coat. One of the worst parts of the weather up there is the wind.... it will blow right through a single layer. You will also need a shovel - because you will get stuck in the snow! It's not a matter of if - it's a matter of when!

Have you checked ticket prices with Allegiant Air? Not sure where you are in Florida, but I believe they fly in and out of Orlando, Tampa / St. Pete, and maybe one more. Anyway, they fly to a few airports in ND and have good prices sometimes. That way, you could make like a 3 day trip and check out some of the schools.

From the standpoint of work and just fitting in, you might want to consider the schools in Grand Forks and Fargo. More job opportunities, more diversity, etc. Of course, the cost of living is higher too.

Otherwise, you will find the people friendly for the most part. But there is some racism that still exists there. Nothing overt and you shouldn't have any problems as long as you keep your nose clean and are respectful. Work hard to prove their narrow minded stereotypes wrong and you will be fine from that regard. That is why I suggested schools in Fargo or GF, because there will be more students there from other states and will be more diverse (both in race and in acceptance). It will be important for you to have friends there who can help you when you need it.

I really see your biggest challenge though, will be the winter. It will be a great experience for you though - how else do you know if you like something or not unless you try it! Best of luck!
Thankyou so much Dewey, it is an experience I look forward to and plus sometimes you have to take a chance in life.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:22 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgacares View Post
Moving to ND
I am a Black person who has lived in Florida my entire life but I am considering moving to east South Dakota. I have never lived on my own and have never seen snow before. I plan on getting a job and moving there 8 mths ahead of time to get use to the way of life there and to qualify for in state tuition, the school I will be attending will take a year to complete. So, in total I will be there for 2 years. However, if all goes well I would like to stay for a couple more. Do you think my Toyota Prius will be enough to drive around in?
A ticket to North Dakota is extremely expensive and I am not sure if I will be able to visit all the schools I"m interested in? I really need some tips on what to do and how to survive there?
I'm looking at areas like Wahpeton, Fargo, Grand fork, Mayville, and Devil's Lake
I am also considering South dakota schools too but North Dakota is my 1st choice.
Being black should be no problem up here in any of your mentioned schools, we have lots of cultures here and I've never seen blatant racism at least not in G. Forks.

I think Fargo has more of a big city feel, with a bit more big city crime at least the last few years.....and there are a few more college options there, but if you are looking for a bit of a smaller town feel Grand Forks might be your best bet. UND has a wonderful multicultural Dept. on campus. I would suggest that you research online each school, and chose based on what your pending major might be.

Mayville is extremely small town, but I think that the school has seen some real changes and it might be interesting to live in a very small town if that is what you are looking for. But, when I say small, I mean like a couple of city streets with cafes and stuff. You'd mostly be driving to G.F. or Fargo to shop or do anything.

Whapeton is a much smaller town and N.D. State School of Science is the only College that I know of there.

Keep your nose clean, stay away from trouble and you should do fine on any campus.

But, if you are looking for a more traditional college campus feel with all the normal college experiences I'd think Grand Forks, or Fargo would be preferable. Jobs might be easier to obtain in these larger markets as well. Between Fargo and Grand Forks, I believe that Grand Forks is more walkable and much easier to maneuver than Fargo would be....But, if you've lived in a large Florida City you will adjust readily to a big city like Fargo.

Your Prius will be fine....front wheel drive cars are good on winter roads imo.

Wahpeton 1st link NDSCS
[url]https://www.ndscs.edu/[/url

Wahpeton N.D.
http://www.wahpeton.com/

Wahpeton news paper, The Daily News
https://www.ndscs.edu/news_events/news/7484

UND Grand Forks, N.D.
UND: University of North Dakota

City of Grand Forks, N.D.
http://www.grandforksgov.com/

G, Forks Newspaper, The Herald
http://www.grandforksherald.com/

Mayville State University
Mayville State University :: Mayville, ND

Mayville, N.D.
http://mayvilleportland.com/

Mayville Newspaper
https://traillcotribune.wordpress.com/

North Dakota State University, Fargo, N.D.
https://www.ndsu.edu/

City of Fargo
http://www.cityoffargo.com/

Fargo has 8 news papers...the main one is called the Inforum
http://www.yellowpages.com/fargo-nd/newspapers

Each campus has a newspaper too that you should be able to access online.

Good luck to you where ever you decide.

ETA....Sorry, I missed that you mentioned Devils Lake....There isn't a College there that I know of....Lake Region is an extension of Grand Forks I believe, and as I understand it, some courses would be taught on TV...I'll let you explore that one on your own. small town, I would think jobs would be hard to find in any of the small towns you've mentioned.

Last edited by JanND; 10-29-2016 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-29-2016, 07:07 PM

517 posts, read 1,051,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgacares View Post
Moving to ND
I lived in Fargo for a year and a half.

I lived downtown close to the river. I loved Fargo. To me the people in Fargo are Minnisota nice, but they forget to be fake about it.

One of the guys I worked with had a Prius. They seem to work ok here in Sioux Falls, but he had problems in Fargo with the traction control doing strange things. Other front shell drive cars work fine.

In the winter once it gets cold and stays cold, the roads are never clear. But it is like driving on sand, not ice. However, warm days, days where it gets up into the high 20's the snow will melt at the intersections and refreeze leaving ice. So, always approach an intersection like you might or might not stop and like the cross traffic might or might not stop.

A few years ago when I first got there they looked at me funny when I tried to pre pay for gas, but enough riff raff has come through from Minneapolis going to Williston that people are having to tighten up. I bet by now at least half of everyone locks thier doors.

How Fargo of You: True Stories from a Place Stranger than Fiction https://www.amazon.com/dp/0983092869..._mtufyb7FHPDAZ

This was pretty accurate a couple of years ago, but I cannot say that the oil did not change Fargo.

Also, you should watch the movie Fargo. One because it is good, and because they nailed the accents and just how cold it is and how laid back everyone is. Also, when you get there, they have the wood chipper at the welcome center, and a loaner leg.

Winters are cold. You need to get exercise and walking will be unpleasant for a lot of days, (however on those days that it warms up to 15 and the wind stops blowing a walk is glorious.) Either rent an apartment with an indoor pool, or join a health club with an indoor pool. The downtown Y just got a new lap pool and it is a nice facility. Although, I understand there are nicer, newer ones out on the west side of town.

Personally, I liked living downtown. Downtown is walkable, they have a lot of activities downtown, the river bike trail is downtown, and it is close to NDSU. There are trees downtown. Not many trees out on the western edge of town.

Cheers
Qazulight (Sioux Falls is prettier, and has a nice water feature, but the folks in Fargo are the best I ever met.)

Old 10-30-2016, 12:05 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
I work at the National Weather Service in Grand Forks, and we have one person who has had a Prius for a number of years and drove city streets in warm and cold seasons. He rarely had issues.... If you had to live outside of the city in rural areas then I would re-consider, but for in town it is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota