Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 10:21 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschooldad1 View Post

When you drive down the road in these little towns probably 80% of the cars you pass will wave to you.
I've learned it seems to be a rule to do the two finger wave on a gravel road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 08:59 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschooldad1 View Post
I will say, people in ND are so friendly they will basically crawl over broken glass for a stranger. My wife's car broke down and she was unable to contact me due to I being in an area with no service. So a guy drove by and stopped to help. He drove 2hrs round trip to get tools/parts and fix the car on the side of the road.

Specific to this we do help stranded motorists especially if it's in the winter months. Another thing about living in ND is the average out of stater who isn't used to snow driving or dealing with black ice patches is in for some hair raising experiences.

Getting your car prepped for winter is absolutely essential if you choose to relocate here. If you are stranded overnight it might be hours before someone comes along.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:56 PM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Specific to this we do help stranded motorists especially if it's in the winter months. Another thing about living in ND is the average out of stater who isn't used to snow driving or dealing with black ice patches is in for some hair raising experiences.

Getting your car prepped for winter is absolutely essential if you choose to relocate here. If you are stranded overnight it might be hours before someone comes along.
Ha, you got that right. I misjudged where the edge of the ditch was and ended up in the bottom. Luckily, I had a shovel and dug for three hours and got out, not a single car drove by in that three hours. North Dakota is an empty land in the winter.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Ha, you got that right. I misjudged where the edge of the ditch was and ended up in the bottom. Luckily, I had a shovel and dug for three hours and got out, not a single car drove by in that three hours. North Dakota is an empty land in the winter.

Yes one of my most embarrassing and unexpected road emergencies I survived was getting my vehicle wedged into a snowbank- thankfully a neighbor pulled me out with a tow strap but if he hadn't been willing to help I would have been stuck there for several hours overnight. I still thank the Universe for that man's small kindness.

During the winter some people will volunteer to pull people out of ditches (if the volunteers have large trucks it's not that difficult to dislodge a smaller vehicle from the snow) ...the morbid truth is people still do die out here from exposure or wrecking and not being found in time to be sent to the hospital.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 19,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
Uialdis, I do remember your post concerning the experience you had moving to Minot, along with my post responding to your thread back in the Fall of 2018.

Did you and your spouse remain in Minot, or where did your family end up departing for, and what have your experiences been?

Just following-up from a-year-and-a-half-ago.
We ended up moving and much more at home in our new location.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,687 times
Well, just my two cents worth: I was born and raised in small town North Dakota and could not have asked for a better place to grow up. I had the freedom to come and go because there was nothing for my folks to worry about, except maybe falling through the frozen ponds or river while skating in the winter. I knew everyone in town and most of the farmers, who would come into town for supplies. During the summer the river was a major attraction: swimming, boating, or fishing. I went to elementary school in the town, but high school at Jamestown (Pop. about 14,000). Played sports, went to dances, or church functions. I live in California now only because of the kids living here. Otherwise, I would be living back in North Dakota. I have nothing but good memories, even with the snow.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:26 PM

219 posts, read 163,372 times
Default Thanks for updating the post

I am leaving Washington state, finally. I am considering relocating to the plains as I want to own my own place and won't have a lot of money to do this. I initially looked at South Dakota but also considered Nebraska and North Dakota. I've lived in cold country, so I think I can deal with it. I'll be retired so won't need to find a job. I really need to be in a place where folks will notice if I haven't been out for awhile and I can find someone to look after my dogs if I'm sick. Where I am now, they wouldn't notice anything unless the EMTs showed up.

Looking at Bowman and Rugby so far but open to other small towns. I just want a house that is structurally sound and a place to put in a garden. I think North Dakota might work for me.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 883 times
I'm also doing some shopping for cheaper spots (aren't we all? lol). I've lived in Idaho since 2015, both in the CDA area and now in Boise, and the influx of left coast techies and investors is going to just turn this place into a hellhole as far as I'm concerned. I really enjoyed the time I spent in Idaho, but it's not going to get any better any time soon.

I don't mind the snow (hell I was just up in Stanley last weekend with my buddy watching a pond hockey tourney), so I'm looking into the rural midwest and possibly the inner northern states (MN/WI/MI).

Old 03-01-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernWanderer View Post
I'm also doing some shopping for cheaper spots (aren't we all? lol). I've lived in Idaho since 2015, both in the CDA area and now in Boise, and the influx of left coast techies and investors is going to just turn this place into a hellhole as far as I'm concerned. I really enjoyed the time I spent in Idaho, but it's not going to get any better any time soon.

I don't mind the snow (hell I was just up in Stanley last weekend with my buddy watching a pond hockey tourney), so I'm looking into the rural midwest and possibly the inner northern states (MN/WI/MI).
I'd recommend small town Wisconsin over North Dakota.

The small town niceness is much more sincere in Wisco, plus you're closer to the Twin Cities if you want to have a weekend of city life or concerts, ball games, etc.

In the summer Wisco is very pleasant and the fishing is great. The cost of living is very low in most of Wisconsin. Housing prices entirely depend on how much house you want to buy, where, and with what amenities. Most of the small towns right outside of the Twin Cities are pricey real-estate wise as the residents all commute to the Cities for work.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:44 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
I'd recommend small town Wisconsin over North Dakota.

The small town niceness is much more sincere in Wisco, plus you're closer to the Twin Cities if you want to have a weekend of city life or concerts, ball games, etc.

In the summer Wisco is very pleasant and the fishing is great. The cost of living is very low in most of Wisconsin. Housing prices entirely depend on how much house you want to buy, where, and with what amenities. Most of the small towns right outside of the Twin Cities are pricey real-estate wise as the residents all commute to the Cities for work.
Correct, and you have much more in the way of outdoor recreation opportunities in the winter in Wisconsin than anywhere in North Dakota. Vilas County has silent sports trails and more miles of snowmobile trails than most other areas in the Northwoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota