Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 10:59 PM

9 posts, read 13,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
ND is a long and expensive way from NM. Might be cheaper to fly from Asia. Certainly faster.

Western NE, KS have very low cost housing, as do some towns in eastern Wyoming and Colorado. Even small towns in NM mtns can have pretty low cost homes or rentals. Probably could find a rental derelict home on a ranch, and fix it up for low cost housing (rent). Higher elevations of West Texas is next door to NM and will have a bunch of oil related foreclosures. my low-cost housing spreadsheets looked very negative on buying cheap houses due to oil industry ( I was using tax free Wyoming). Better to rent, in case you are ever forced to sell at a time when the market has dried up and left town . If you are that short on funds, be sure to get a state with a decent healthcare insurance exchange, and social services.
Yeah Nebraska is certainly a option, but for some reason we are strongly drawn towards the Dakotas ! Didn't find much in Wyoming or Colorado in our search. Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 11:00 PM

9 posts, read 13,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschooldad1 View Post
Will advise you to look at local realtor sites to find the cheaper housing. For example Hettinger which is a nice little town with a teaching/academic hospital has lots of cheap houses but they are not listed on sites like Zillow.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Nebraska is very high taxed for retirees, but has good services and people.

If commuting to NM and living in Dakotas, consider Hot Springs, SD area, or near an airport. In 35 yrs of living away from family, I found over 3 hour commute means maximum trips of once / month. Over 12 hours, a couple times / yr. Living under 1 hr away means frequent visits (weekly). It's really nice to have grandparents and grandkids closeby. Walking distance can be handy, as long as each family also respects the need for privacy too.

Consider all the factors, as inexpensive housing can be met in many ways. As retirees, we rent out our main house and live in a small cabin on same property. Works well, since we travel a lot someone is there to watch the place and care for property, plants, and pets. And pay the taxes.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:52 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Nebraska is very high taxed for retirees, but has good services and people.

If commuting to NM and living in Dakotas, consider Hot Springs, SD area, or near an airport. In 35 yrs of living away from family, I found over 3 hour commute means maximum trips of once / month. Over 12 hours, a couple times / yr. Living under 1 hr away means frequent visits (weekly). It's really nice to have grandparents and grandkids closeby. Walking distance can be handy, as long as each family also respects the need for privacy too.

Consider all the factors, as inexpensive housing can be met in many ways. As retirees, we rent out our main house and live in a small cabin on same property. Works well, since we travel a lot someone is there to watch the place and care for property, plants, and pets. And pay the taxes.
How much does the nearby Pine Ridge Reservation impact the Hot Springs area?

Old 08-21-2020, 06:11 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Oil & gas has biggest impact in NW ND. Lesser but some in SW ND. Not sure about central ND. Might be some in NW SD.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:41 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,836 times
When looking for a home also make sure you know what utilities will cost. It may make the home too expensive.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:39 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Low priced home in Ettinger ND:

https://www.trulia.com/p/nd/hettinge...2#lil-mediaTab

Old 09-03-2020, 12:45 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
How can you both be unemployed for 5 years with software engineer experience?

I was also wondering this myself OP, you mean to say that both you and your husband haven't been able to find ANY job for the last 5 years? And now you want to buy a house without the prospect of getting another job? I mean, I commend you for being optimistic but this just seems a bit foolish... y'all need to take a good hard look on why it is you've been unemployed for 5 years. And why not just move to NM where your kid is? Could the 3 of you go in on a house together?

Old 01-07-2021, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 3,573 times
I am following this thread with interest! I noted that ND has great coverage with fiber optic, so the OP may be able to supplement social security with some actual income from home. I work from home but am also a hermit. Looking for a well-forested area with good water, cheap housing, low crime, and good rural internet. The need for good rural internet has forced me to research the new co-ops that have sprung up, and their locations, and I am cross-referencing other statistics to try and narrow down a good place to live. I enjoy a really quiet homebody kind of life, have a lot of pets, and don't like crowds.

Old 01-07-2021, 04:30 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamovin View Post
I am following this thread with interest! I noted that ND has great coverage with fiber optic, so the OP may be able to supplement social security with some actual income from home. I work from home but am also a hermit. Looking for a well-forested area with good water, cheap housing, low crime, and good rural internet. The need for good rural internet has forced me to research the new co-ops that have sprung up, and their locations, and I am cross-referencing other statistics to try and narrow down a good place to live. I enjoy a really quiet homebody kind of life, have a lot of pets, and don't like crowds.
North Dakota has very little forested area. You need to go much further east to central Minnesota or southwest to the Black Hills of South Dakota to have greater tree cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota