Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2020, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,289 times

Advertisements

My son, a recent college grad, accepted a job offer in Bismarck and will be moving soon. We have no knowledge of this city other than what the city website and Google have to offer. So.... any areas to avoid ( crime, flooding, dragons whatever ! )
He will be working in the downtown area, the commute looks easy from most areas. Any traffic concerns ?
We are scoping out apartments online, any suggestions good or bad ? (prefer a complex).
Any local info is appreciated, tough going into this blind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 05:13 PM

12 posts, read 19,582 times
We lived in Bismarck for nine years and still have two daughters and their families living there. We moved away in 1988 so I can't give you much specific information except that my thoughts are that it is the best city in the North Dakota to live in. When we lived there there were no bad areas and crime was never a problem. Since then there has been some flooding in south Bismarck a few years ago.

This isn't much to go on, but maybe someone else will chime in and provide more specific information.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2020, 07:39 PM

705 posts, read 507,482 times
Be careful driving the 94 going East up the hill from the Missouri River. There is always a highway patrol officer ticketing drivers along that section. They do it to show off.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:44 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,157,537 times
The good news- Bismarck is often called "boring" which is good for real estate values and general everyday quality of life.

The bad news- I noticed a handful of downtown businesses had closed up the last time I went there (this was in April of this year) ....I'm not sure why this is happening but Covid 19 has probably made this trend worse.

They have a new Costco (yay, very helpful) and Bismarck is a medical hub for people in the state.

Rents are fairly cheap. Not sure about house prices, as a rule house prices in ND are high now.

My 2 cents, aside from the winter weather, everything is appealing about Bismarck.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:53 AM

114 posts, read 90,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufalo Jim View Post
My son, a recent college grad, accepted a job offer in Bismarck and will be moving soon. We have no knowledge of this city other than what the city website and Google have to offer. So.... any areas to avoid ( crime, flooding, dragons whatever ! )
He will be working in the downtown area, the commute looks easy from most areas. Any traffic concerns ?
We are scoping out apartments online, any suggestions good or bad ? (prefer a complex).
Any local info is appreciated, tough going into this blind.
Traffic is not a concern. Bismarck is easy to get around. Avoid the apartments across from the Kirkwood Mall. Northside up around 43rd Ave is newer and growing. There's also a newer area in way south Bismarck around Burleigh Ave with new apartments (Named Citadel & Woodbridge)that are only about a 5 min drive from downtown. Cottonwood Apartments also are down in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota