Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 01:09 AM

628 posts, read 1,436,247 times

Advertisements

-34f without wind chill is the lowest I've seen the weather app on my iphone so far this winter in Grand Forks. For reference, it was only 8 degrees colder up in Yellowknife at that same time -42f.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 02:09 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I had occasion to visit Fargo and Grand Forks between December 5 and 7. This coincided with a snow storm that brought 35 mph winds and wind chills below 0 on Sunday night; then sub-zero temps on Monday, slowly rising to a high in the upper single digits or low teens by Tuesday. To me, it was cold. The wind chill, especially, was just brutal. But to my surprise, the 0 temps didn't actually feel too bad, when the wind wasn't blowing. It actually felt warmer to me than temps in the 30s do here in Maryland, where I live. Maybe it's due to less humidity in North Dakota?

My question is, how does what I experienced compare with typical conditions during the winter time? Was this normal? Colder than normal? Warmer than normal? I ask because I like the eastern part of the state enough to have it in my "maybe pile" as a place to retire, coming up in less than 10 years. But I'd like to have some sense of what I'd be getting into, weather-wise, before taking the plunge.
I'm in Minnesota, not in North Dakota, but I will tell you this - in January 1989 I arrived at the old Fort McClellan in Alabama and spent the coldest couple of winter months of my life there. Now, it wasn't that cold per se. But it was a wet cold that chilled me to the bones. In the Midwest, the air is dry in the winter - it's why the humidifiers run and we use so much hand lotion and get endless static shocks. Perhaps that is what you experienced. The dry air mitigates the 'cold' feeling somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
According to this chart, the average high in Fargo in December is 22 and the average low is 6. What I experienced was a high of about 0 and a low of -6, which are both colder than the averages in December and even in January, the coldest month. Yet, other posters are saying that what I experienced wasn't all that bad, all told. So I'm still left wondering.
Mid-continental temperate climates tend to have normal variations from the mean that are quite high - and North Dakota seems to be the part of North America where this effect is strongest. So if the average high is 20F, neither a high of 40F or a high of 0F would be all that unusual. In fact, the Fargo record low is -48F, while the annual mean minimum is -31F; the month's record high is 55F, with an annual mean maximum of 40F. But in warmer climates, or those moderated by a nearby ocean, these ranges do not occur. This is why the highest temperature ever recorded in North Dakota (121F) is higher than the hottest temperature ever recorded in any of the Southern states.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:13 PM

27 posts, read 31,549 times
I lived in Grand Forks for 22 years and those temps are pretty normal for this time of year. You learn how to dress for these extreme temps. A pair of Russell’s fleece Lined wind breaker pants were my saving grace. I put them on over all my jeans when I went out. I wore them everywhere. Mittens instead of gloves are the key to keeping your fingers warm. I loved the snow at the holidays but not the freezing temps. Hubby and I left ND for warmer weather and sunshine. We now live in Florida and will never move back to the cold. We love ND just not the long dreary winters.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:38 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I lived in Grand Forks for 22 years and those temps are pretty normal for this time of year. You learn how to dress for these extreme temps. A pair of Russell’s fleece Lined wind breaker pants were my saving grace. I put them on over all my jeans when I went out. I wore them everywhere. Mittens instead of gloves are the key to keeping your fingers warm. I loved the snow at the holidays but not the freezing temps. Hubby and I left ND for warmer weather and sunshine. We now live in Florida and will never move back to the cold. We love ND just not the long dreary winters.
I think the worst aspect by far regarding the ND winters is the higher winds and blizzard hazards. Winter is much more tolerable further east in the Northwoods with plenty of trails and things to do outdoors with far less windy conditions with the tree cover.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:57 AM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think the worst aspect by far regarding the ND winters is the higher winds and blizzard hazards. Winter is much more tolerable further east in the Northwoods with plenty of trails and things to do outdoors with far less windy conditions with the tree cover.
Agree. I can be out cutting wood on a windless sunny day at 18, it’s not bad at all. Yet out in the open, windy and in the 50’s, feels a heck of a lot more miserable. That wind cuts through several layers of clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota