Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 03:19 AM

66 posts, read 828,803 times

Advertisements

i'm not from ND, but i've visited and know a lot about it. i think the main thing is people in general are more classier and civilized i'd say than other parts of the country. i think most people are welcoming of other races long as it does not bring trouble into the area. its the crime, violence, and thug life type stuff people don't want to see. i'm from louisiana and we are filled with it. that's one of the main reasons why i am moving away from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 190,505 times
Smile So true...

You know, that's so true. People don't realize the reputation they give to their own ethnic group with all of that craziness. It's starting to get wild where I'm from as well. Some people, no matter what their ethnicity, just want to have a peaceful place in which to raise their family. I have been talking with my contacts out there in the last couple of weeks (who no doubt are aware of my ethnicity) and they are soooo nice and friendly, even on the phone. So far, the people who I have talked with seem like nice people. Much nicer than some of the people I know out here who are used to working with diverse groups. I'm just saying, it's something to think about.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 25,728 times
Iyanka, you sound articulate, well educated and one of the least likely persons to cause trouble. I like and agree with what you said about people just wanting to have a peaceful place in which to raise their family. So true. I seriously doubt you will have any problems in ND. Be friendly and neighborly and you will get the same in return.

I am not sure where you live but in around here, if you smile and say "hi" to someone, chances are it'll be returned in kind. In Chicago, for example, you do that and people will question your motivation for such. I've lived in Chicago before so I know.

Most people I know don't give a dang about one's race, color, etc...they just want friendly neighbors with whom to trust if they leave for a weekend to look after their house for fire, etc...and have a good conversation over the back fence in the summertime.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:10 PM

5 posts, read 31,066 times
I totally agree with burmeisters1. Most people really don't care about your race, color or whatever.Most people I know don't give a dang about one's race, color, etc...to quote burmesters1 "they just want friendly neighbors with whom to trust if they leave for a weekend to look after their house for fire, etc...and have a good conversation over the back fence in the summertime" As an individual who is from the Island who is not use to being judge by the color of my skin it is hard for me to pack up and go live just any where because I feel that I not going to be welcome because it will be assume that I am a trouble maker. Yes, I come from a beautiful island that is one of the top tourist destination. I do not like the heat. I like the snow and the country. I would love to move to somewhere like MN, ND, SD, oregon or Idaho or Wyoming, but my friends have made it clear that they have no ethnic people in those places that I should just go back to the island or stay some where that are ethnic friendly. I just want to raise my kids in the quiet of the country in an area where they are going to be welcome and not judge. Is that too much to ask. We are very quiet people, good christian who treats everyone reardless of their race with utmost respect.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:55 AM

322 posts, read 1,234,385 times
I live in ND, so I will give you the ACTUAL rundown of life here. 1- it's COLD! If you come from a warm climate, be prepared. Temps dip into the negatives and will hover at minus 40 - 60 degrees below 0 for days and weeks on end during the winter months (with wind-chills). Winter usually lasts about 8 months out of the year. LOTS OF SNOW!! It normally doesn't start getting warm until the end of May/June, then you can expect maybe 2-3 weeks out of the entire year of actual hot weather. It usually gets cold again around end of August/September. We don't have 'seasons' here. It is a place that you can use your air conditioner and heat in the same day. Always one extreme to the next. 2 - It's the safest state to live in! We live in a community where we ALWAYS leave our vehicle doors unlocked and keys in the ignition. If your vehicle is gone one day, you know it's because one of the neighbors had an emergency so expect it back within a couple hours. (that is in the small communities). In general, the crime rate is VERY low here (i suppose it depends on the County). The further North in the state you go the increased 'safeness'. The people in Northern North Dakota are primarily 'Law Enforcement' officers, most working at the Port of Entries (Federal Officers for Homeland Security). So, Northern North Dakota...VERY SAFE!! 3 - Race: although there are 'limited' African Americans in North Dakota, generally everyone is accepted. You have to consider that this is a small state, the majority of people are 'lifers' here, born, raised and most never leave or have never left the state (maybe over to MN or SD). ND is a mainly 'white' population, but again, I myself have not seen any animosity towards other races in general. I don't think that being African American / Asian / talking with an accent etc.. is something to stop you from moving here. This is a laid back state with an older population and VERY slow paced. The public schools are among the best in the US, that's because with such a tiny population, there is a lot more interaction between student/child. White/African American..whatever....children generally get the SAME treatment.
The trick to North Dakota is NOT divulging your entire life. Keep to yourself, but at the same time be friendly. No one has anything better to do here than gossip, which is easily solveable by not giving them ammunition.
North Dakota is a state where you drive down the road and people wave. Again, it's slow paced and the further North you get, the more open the road so you can sit back and enjoy the 75 mile an hour speed limits. 6 vehicles on the Interstate within 5 miles of eachother is considered a traffic jam.
It may be cold, it may not have seasons, it may be flat but it is truly a safe and beautiful place to live. A place where you don't have to keep watching your back. It's WONDERFUL place to raise children with good schools. Although there IS SOME crime, in comparisson to other states, it's nothing.
My suggestion: NORTHERN NORTH DAKOTA!

As someone who LIVES in ND and has regular access to / shops at /gets gas at the Air Force Base, I can honestly tell you that there is a LRAGE population of African Americans on base. People on base are VERY welcoming and VERY friendly. It's not a big base, and that's probably why. Around the area, since Grand Forks is largely populated by Canadians shopping and Air Force Members (there's not much more than the Commissary and a small BX and Shopette on base so they go into town to shop/eat etc..). You see ALOT of mixed race in that area as well as Northern ND, because of the Ports of Entry which employ and transfer in Dozens of ethnic people.
The base, again, very tight knit community!!! Black/White/Asian..whatever.....it's safe and friendly......
Take this from someone who ACTUALLY lives here and has friends who live on base and someone who is there at least once a week!

Old 04-15-2007, 01:23 PM

Wink Three days and counting

Thanks again for all of the feedback. I know this wasn't originally my post--i.e., DINGLER. However, I truly appreciate all of the feedback on both sides of the discussion. I will be there on Wednesday and I will have a chance to look around and talk to some people. I will be in Bismark. I'll let you know what I actually think and you can have it from the horse's mouth so to speak. I'm getting kind of excited if you want to know the truth.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 34,391 times
I live in Fargo, ND and don't even notice african americans and we do have them associated with the universities, we have 3 universities. Having also lived near an airforce base and having a daughter married to an enlisted man for awile I can say it was more that they were military than the color of their skin.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Just got back...

I said I would check in when I got back from my visit. I went to Bismark and saw one African American, teenager who may have been mixed. There was also a couple of what looked like far easterners working at the hotel. After having been there I will say that I have never been anywhere in my travels where it seemed like the color of my skin what the farthest thing from anyone's mind. I guess you all know that I'm African American and a professional. I am used to being stared at and I'm also used to people going out of the way to show me that they are not racist. I will have to say, NONE of that happened to me in North Dakota. You all truly have the best hidden secret in the nation. Good people, true spirited and just down right nice. I have a lot to think over at this point. Just one person's experience, but there is something to be said for having been there and stating an opinion about something versus never having been there. After having been there I'll say that as long as people have pure motives and are nice to their neighbors...it doesn't matter--gay, straight, white, black, purple, whatever. You just have to decide if you want to live in a small, very middle American town. Retiring there is not such a bad thing I think nor would raising a family if you don't mind that last thing I mentioned. Good day all and thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 27,866 times
There is not a lot of diversity in North Dakota. That being said - good or bad - people will be friendly to you/do you and your family know harm. However, unfortunately the older population in particular may think less of you but would NEVER say it to your face. That's because they are too nice in North Dakota - even the racists!!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times
Can someone tell me what part of Fargo would be best for the better schools and less crime area? Can you also pinpoint neighborhood and schools for me? I have an acquaintance who is thinking bout a job offer in Fargo...not sure what part, but I just wanted to get a feel for them, since they have no internet access here, thank you in adcvance!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota