Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2023, 01:51 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,365 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is allowed here as it may be considered competition for this site,
but there is a new site called nextdoor.com which is like a mini Facebook,
and someone invited me to join "Iron Triangle", there are a lot of people posting there,
many who live in these neighborhoods. Here is a summary of it I got from Monica, the AI assistant.

Nextdoor is a social networking service for neighborhoods. It allows users to connect with people who live in their local area, share information, ask for recommendations, and discuss local issues. The platform is designed to foster a sense of community and facilitate communication among neighbors. Users can also organize local events, sell or give away items, and get updates on neighborhood news.

The only thing for me so far is that I get an email every time someone posts there,
but you can turn that off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 08:14 AM

8,052 posts, read 7,419,522 times
OK but Nextdoor is not new.

Old 01-01-2024, 05:48 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Be ready for a lot of arguments. People bicker constantly on the Pittsburgh NextDoor site.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:28 PM

18 posts, read 7,566 times
probably better than this website i haven't met anybody on here yet its supposed to be about a region in pennsylvania with not alot of people and yet nothing happens and nobody wants to meet up

Old 01-03-2024, 06:32 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank3winger View Post
probably better than this website i haven't met anybody on here yet its supposed to be about a region in pennsylvania with not alot of people and yet nothing happens and nobody wants to meet up
The NEPA forum on here was VERY active before social media really blew up. I joined here in 2006 and lived in Pittston at the time. I now live in Pittsburgh. There were a ton of people in the late-2000's-early-2010's on here, and, yes, some of us did meet up in Scranton. We also had a Pittsburgh meet-up in 2010 or 2011 if I remember correctly.

Old 01-04-2024, 05:16 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
To me Nextdoor is about a lot of advertising and people posting things they think are cute. From time to time they do start a discussion on local current events, but it gets lost among the content we don't want to see or hear. Plus we receive notifications about this unimportant content that we then have to take the time to delete. With our City-Data forum, we choose what we want to comment on and can ignore what we want to ignore.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:30 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
OK but Nextdoor is not new.
It's a slow grower despite being around for a while. Many areas in NEPA weren't available on NextDoor until recently. Even back in 2021, when my dog went missing, my address was not accepted for joining the local areas (Albrightsville & Jim Thorpe) even though it was a JT address physically in Penn Forest Twsp. A friend lent me her address so I could join and post missing information.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:42 AM

10,818 posts, read 4,506,581 times
nextdoor isnt exactly new....but it is VERY hyper local. there is no site for 'pittsburgh' but rather it will have you in the area you actually live in (i.e. I am in 'Markvue manor' which is near irwin, and I can post into any area roughly 20 miles away of which there are about 100) but the further you get out, the more restrictive it is.

IT was good intentions, but Facebook/Meta bought it up during covid and imposed strict lids on info allowed out, appointed unstable people 'mods' and it went to hell. It was shocking to find people that actually could or would be actual neighbors at throats. and I mean hateful for the sake of being hateful.

In summation, pretty much worthless, but that can be said of most social media. Even here. I glance at anything in PA as well, I spent most of my life in this state and anyone who has ever read me knows I travel and I travel with my eyes open, I can get pretty much anywhere in the state outside of the philly area without a map and I spend most of my time in pittsburgh sub - which I only joined really because of the boating - which no one does anymore. So nextdoor, this and the facebook/meta groups like 'pittsburgh boat life' I have found to be of little value to no value.

One thing about nextdoor, it is SUPPOSED to only allow people in who have a verified address AND name in the local area they join. So if your goal is to be a troll, people are going to know who you are and WHERE you live. Is that sustainable?

Old 01-05-2024, 12:10 PM

3,941 posts, read 2,338,527 times
I like to troll in private, thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania