Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 16,753 times

Advertisements

Any info on the hideout? Schools/Crime/Employment info appreciated. moving from long island, the taxes and traffic are killing us. Would like to be a stay at home mom, one child has mild adhd, other asthma. Are the winters that bad? Also, info on medical facilities. How is the mountain air for asthma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 06:11 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
You may want to send a private message to member "I LOVE PA", who currently lives in the Hideout and is also an ex-Long Islander. I'm sure she'll stumble upon your thread soon anyways though with a reply, as she's very knowledgeable about that area. I can tell you general information; you're about 30 minutes from Scranton, where most of the region's medical centers, nightlife, employment centers, shopping, etc. are located, and you're not far from Honesdale, the county seat, a quiet country town with a historic, restored Main Street with antiques stores, yoga studios, coffee shops, a town green, Victorian architecture, etc. I've heard mixed reviews about the Hideout from different people---some say that there are "crime issues" while others rave over the quality-of-life. I'm hoping "I LOVE PA" can clear that up for you! As far as employment is concerned, you're a bit of a drive from most major employers. Sanofi-Pasteur Pharmaceuticals is located in Swiftwater, and the Tobyhanna Army Depot is located in Tobyhanna. There's also the Covington Industrial Park between Gouldsboro and Moscow. Many people in the North Pocono/Lake Ariel area commute to the Scranton area for employment. Nearby Hamlin Corners is home to some small restaurants, gas stations, grocery store, etc. for most of your daily needs. The winters here truly are not that bad at all, at least not in recent years. We're still waiting on our first inch of snow here in Scranton (although that may be coming with tomorrow's predicted lake-effect snow squalls), and this week's cold snap is the first true blast of cold air we've had all winter, with lows in the teens and highs near freezing. I was actually running around shirtless back in December! I don't know if it's global warming or what, but these past 2-3 winters have been very mild and tame.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:39 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
Default wyattskye Part 1 response

Hi! Here I am! Glad to respond to your questions. We moved here to The Hideout from LI 13 years ago, when my children were 2 and 6. I still remember being so worried how my 6 yr. old daughter would adjust to this major move. She absolutely loved it! She went from Catholic School on LI, having recess in the black top parking lot, to coming home and saing "Mom, if I have snow pants, I can play in the school yard at recess in the snow, they have sleds!" Now how is that for change
The public schools are fine in my opinion. Western Wayne M.S./H.S. has gotten some attention this past year due to some diversity issues. These are things that happen in every school, but becasuee the district decided to jump on it and take it very seriously, it got tons of media attention. You have to understand, you have everything from the local farmers kids who grew up with NO diversity whatsover, along with being raised by parents with these like views, to N.Y. and N.J. city kids, some of different races. There was an issue of a rebel flag, a big school board meeting right after these issues, and lots of state trooper presence in the school that week. They now have a full time State Trooper at the school. Now iwth that all said, I still feel it's a good school. Basically what I am saying...go see for yourself, and don't judge by this one story.
There are 2 elementary schools, one on Rt 191, right before you get to Hamlin corners, that goes from 1/2 day Pre-K to 2nd grade. The other is on Rt. 191, right near St. Thomas More Church in Lake Ariel. The principal runs both schools and I found her to know every last kids name as well as their parents, she is a wonderful lady.The building of a new elementary school has just been approved by the school board. It will be a 'green' school. (environmentally friendly) I have no doubt that the district will meet your needs with your child with ADHD. When I moved here I was truly shocked at the level of dedication the teachers and administration had at the schools, very refreshing, I felt they had more morals and values that the Catholic school I was coming from They also have a positve based dicipline system in the school that every teacher practices and works very well, based on "stop, think, and make a good choice". It changes a little as they go up each grade, but every student goes by the same set of rules and knows what is expected of them.
I also have a daughter with severe asthma, she went to Pedicatric Practices of NEPA, their office is right off of Rt. 84, when you get off the Hamlin exit. They have a bunch of Dr's, PA's and nurses there in a nice new modern building. I highly reccommend Dr. Morton for the asthma issue. Her asthma improved when we moved here, but after a few years, she had a few rough years. There is a hospital in Honesdale, and 3 in Scranton. Emergency response in The Hideout is excellent, and most patrol car drivers are EMT's. They get there before the ambulance.
Crime...bascially I forget what that is on a day to day basis. I don't lock my car unless I leave my purse in it, there are no robberies in The Hideout, Hideout Security chief can give you statisitcs, but crime is not an issue. I feel safe everywhere I go.
Employment is a tough one. When we came here I was in banking and got a job as a part-time teller with no problem. I did take a huge cut in pay. My husband went from working for a municipality on LI back to truck driving, and actually made more when switching to trucking. It depends on what field you are in.
EVERYTHING is cheaper. Electric is 1/2, car insurance is 1/2, groceries are cheaper, cable is probably 1/2. Best cell phone service for this area would be Cingular. Housing has seen a big jump in the last 3 years, but still affordable when coming from LI.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Part 2

I'm sure you have already looked into The Hideout and know everything it offers. My kids have had fun growing up here. My 15 yr. old is impatiently waiting for the ski hill to open so she can snowboard. Many kids from outside the development congregate here on the weekends, lift ticket for a guest is $13.00, lift ticket for Sno Mountain at Montage is about $30.00.
My younger daughter has also been a member of The Hideout Swim Team for many years. Great thing for kids to do in The Hideout, only about 5-7 kids live in The Hideout, the rest are 'summer people'. Nice mix of kids who can't wait to see each other when it starts.
You will defniitely put a lot more miles on your car. Every play date involves getting in the car. Most people on the outside don't like to come in The Hideout, so you will drive your kids to their friends houses on the outside and you will most likely have to drive to meet them if they are coming to your house.
Winters ...even in the winters where we get tons of snow, the hideout maintains their roads very well and all the roads around The Hideout are State roads. In the tiniest bit of slippery conditions, schools have a 2 hour delay. Sometimes there can be quite a few, also early dismissals. If you can get a house with a garage, do so! I have had one the last 2 years ans it is a luxury. Never having to get in an ice cold car, clean ice off the windshield when you have 4 minutes to make the bus, and never cleaning piles of snow off your car.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 16,667 times
Default the hideout

I am considering buying a home in the Hideout and was hoping someone could recommend a very good realtor. Also, is there a way to travel to the Hideout via public transportation? Finally, are the homes rentable and what would the expected rent be for say a small two bedroom? Thank you!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:58 PM

longislandguy, I sent you a PM.
As far as the renting vs. buying, you might be better off buying. Rentals are hard to come by.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 19,958 times
Default need help

I currently live in wayne co (love it here). However, I would like to move to pike or lakckawanna cty. I am a single mother with 5y/o twin boys. Obviously a good school district and community would be my major concern. I work in Swiftwater (monroe cty) Will NOT move in that county!! I'd like to stay in between Honesdale area and monroe cty. I commute within the areas and also visit with friends. Milford/matamoris would be too far. I would love a nice, quiet and affordable. Thank you.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:27 AM

996 posts, read 3,278,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaItalia View Post
I currently live in wayne co (love it here). However, I would like to move to pike or lakckawanna cty. I am a single mother with 5y/o twin boys. Obviously a good school district and community would be my major concern. I work in Swiftwater (monroe cty) Will NOT move in that county!! I'd like to stay in between Honesdale area and monroe cty. I commute within the areas and also visit with friends. Milford/matamoris would be too far. I would love a nice, quiet and affordable. Thank you.
You might want to check out Greentown/Newfoundland. Most of the area is Pike Co. I commuted to Tobyhanna years ago, and it was only a twenty minute ride, so Swiftwater wouldn't be too much farther for you. My kids go to school here and can't say enough great things about it (elementary school goes from K-6), there is a nice park where kid's sports teams play, and most of all, it is quiet. We are close to I-84, so it's not hard to get to the Scranton or Matamoras areas.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:54 PM

487 posts, read 1,374,632 times
I wholeheartedly agree with you Greentown! I think Greentown/Newfoundland is an ideal location if you want peace and quiet, but also need to be 30 minutes from just about anything you need or want.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:55 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
I'll "third" the nomination for the Greentown/Newfoundland area. You're just off I-84, which will put you about 25 minutes from either Scranton or Milford. Another area I'd recommend scoping out would be somewhere in the North Pocono School District, which includes towns like Moscow, Daleville, Thornhurst, Elmhurst, Mount Cobb, and Lake Spangenberg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania