Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Possible relocation from Metro DC area to Memphis TN, seeking information on Memphis cost of living, pros and cons of Memphis, schools, culture, sports

Old 09-16-2006, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 15,956 times

Advertisements

Hello. My job may be relocating me and my family to the Memphis, TN area next summer. I currently live and work in the No. VA burbs of Washington, DC area and have been for the last 12 years. The area has really been great to me for the most part, but I must admit; I am sick and tired of the traffic, RIDICULOUS HOUSING COSTS and "rat race" (fast pace) of the metro DC region, but I really don't know much about Memphis or its surrounding area. If you are reading this and live in No. VA/MD/DC area and are from Memphis or are familiar with it, can you share some perspective? I'm hoping to hear some things about the Memphis area and its suburbs (pros/cons) to help me think about the decision I have to make. Are the schools there good (I have young children)? What about the cost of living (housing)? Culture, entertainment, sports? Anyone reading this from Memphis and have moved to the DC area or have you lived in the DC area and have moved to the Memphis region?

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 15,956 times
Dang. NOBODY is the DC/VA/MD area who is originally from or wanting to move to Memphis? LOL!!!

Old 09-28-2006, 12:09 PM

480 posts, read 1,917,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvibe View Post
Hello. My job may be relocating me and my family to the Memphis, TN area next summer. I currently live and work in the No. VA burbs of Washington, DC area and have been for the last 12 years. The area has really been great to me for the most part, but I must admit; I am sick and tired of the traffic, RIDICULOUS HOUSING COSTS and "rat race" (fast pace) of the metro DC region, but I really don't know much about Memphis or its surrounding area. If you are reading this and live in No. VA/MD/DC area and are from Memphis or are familiar with it, can you share some perspective? I'm hoping to hear some things about the Memphis area and its suburbs (pros/cons) to help me think about the decision I have to make. Are the schools there good (I have young children)? What about the cost of living (housing)? Culture, entertainment, sports? Anyone reading this from Memphis and have moved to the DC area or have you lived in the DC area and have moved to the Memphis region?

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Can't help there, but my girlfriend lives in the DC area. Trying to see if I can convince her to move here to Ohio, either to Akron where I am now, or to Cincinnati perhaps (better weather and job market.) It's so **** expensive in DC, it's nuts.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:36 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,629 times
Cool Been a Yank half my life, but born and still have family in Memphis.....

I know you asked about the schools...................I guess my answer would be compared to what..........A lot of the folks in Memphis do the private school thing. Depending on who you talk to and what section of town you live, you will hear very different answers about the schools there. I take it you are a Navy guy and will be moving to the Millington/Arlington suburb area? There is quite a bit of infighting in the city school district and of course some gangs and some violence. Really depends on which school area you are in..................and of course, you know that it is really, really, really hot and steamy there..........
I do miss the winters and springs and the people so much. It has a ton more traffic everytime I go back and more stores and strip malls. There are tons of sporting events........Memphis State basketball is always top-ranked, and the football games are fun. The Fed Ex forum is new and has basketball, and concerts, etc. The Grizzlies (NBA) are still there I think and if you love food, the BBQ is the best. Lots of churches and opportunities for socializing mainly through that and if you have time lots of continuing ed courses through some colleges that have fun courses as well. Nice, cheap restaurants and cost of living is really low. International Paper has headquarters there and of course Fed Ex and then there is a revitalized Beale St and tons of music places with people who can actually sing and play in local clubs. More questions? If I can help, I will...........You can learn a lot by checking out the local paper, the Commercial Appeal. I know they have a website. Good luck!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: