Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,279 times

Advertisements

How is it that licensed professionals: doctors, psychiatrists, counselors, etc. who violate the sacred trust of the "doctor"/patient relationship by sexual misconduct, then have their licenses revoked, but fail to be listed on the Registered Sex Offender List.

Are they immune to the laws and consequences that ordinary sex offenders receive? Their behaviors are far more reprehensible because they have violated one of the primary tenets of their profession: "Do NO harm".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 AM

45,484 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Because what they've done may not be considered a crime. There's a difference between professional misconduct and a crime.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:22 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,154,954 times
Well, I'd start with the fact that licenses can be revoked for many reasons, most of which are not sexual. Also, the registry is for those who have been CONVICTED of a crime. Losing your license is a much lower standard of evidence. It is possible to lose your license for the "appearance" of impropriety, even if nothing actually happened.

I'm sure you post is in reference to a specific incident. In that specific incident, were criminal charges filed?

Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 AM

617 posts, read 1,357,548 times
I'd also say that (generally) most sexual misconduct between doctors and patients aren't nearly as reprehensible as, say, a pedophile. In fact, it's not even close. The fact that they violated a tenet of their profession matters little as far as what crime was committed.

Suppose I have a choice between two equally nice houses, schools and neighborhoods being the same. One is next to a pedophile on the sex offender list. The other is next to a doctor who had sex with a patient*. I'll move in next to the doctor 10 times out of 10.

*Let's assume the patient was of age to avoid picky arguing.

As someone else pointed out, what they've done may not be considered a crime, and you're way off saying they're worse than "ordinary sex offenders". And frankly, you might want to be more specific there, since someone caught exposing themselves while urinating in public can wind up on the sex offender list. There's a wide variery of ways to wind up on that list.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 AM

706 posts, read 1,310,167 times
Not sure if this is really relevant to the discussion but found this very interesting. A close friend works for a NOVA government organization and they told me about an individual that was charged with a sex crime due to public urination (drunkiness). The policie officer decided to throw that charge on there too because he was having a bad day, etc. So it turns out because of that, he doesn't qualify for public assistance program he needs.

I am not aware of the details and requiremnts of these programs, but that seems silly to me. How many frat boys did stuff like that when they were younger, clearly they are not sex offenders.

Now, I do believe being charged with a sexual crime and requiring people to register as a sexual offender are two different things, but just sharing the information I do know.

I would be curious to hear more about that.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,512,040 times
IMO they are all the same sick perverts - imagine taking advantage of a mentally ill person -

Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,154,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
IMO they are all the same sick perverts - imagine taking advantage of a mentally ill person -
WHO is taking advantage of mentally ill patients and not being charged with a crime?

Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,849,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Not sure if this is really relevant to the discussion but found this very interesting. A close friend works for a NOVA government organization and they told me about an individual that was charged with a sex crime due to public urination (drunkiness). The policie officer decided to throw that charge on there too because he was having a bad day, etc. So it turns out because of that, he doesn't qualify for public assistance program he needs.

I am not aware of the details and requiremnts of these programs, but that seems silly to me. How many frat boys did stuff like that when they were younger, clearly they are not sex offenders.

Now, I do believe being charged with a sexual crime and requiring people to register as a sexual offender are two different things, but just sharing the information I do know.

I would be curious to hear more about that.
While I agree that some on the list probably should not be, I am shocked that his lawyer couldn't persuade the court to change the charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia