Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Areas to buy a townhouse: reasonable commute, good community, the best schools

Old 10-15-2006, 09:08 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,214,346 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about taking a job in Alexandria, but am suffering some sticker shock (moving from Maine). Could anyone give me some possible areas where I could buy a townhouse (250 to 350K) and have a reasonable commute.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

bangorme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 09:33 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,419,871 times
Sad to say that generally townhomes within a reasonable commute generally start at around 350K. Condos generally run from 250K-350K and they are plentiful in Alexandria and you may want to check some of them out. There may be a handful of exceptions where you can find townhomes in the 300-350K range. There are two communities that I know of in Springfield, called Newington Forest and Cardinal Forest where modest townhomes go for around 330K. I know nothing of these communities though in terms of whether or not they're desirable areas to live in. This would put you in a roughly 30 minute commute to Alexandria, less if you take the Metro. I think that the Springfield/Franconia region is a good place to look within a reasonable commute, and depending upon what you view as "reasonable", maybe branch that search out towards Annandale, Burke, Newington and the city of Falls Church. I would steer clear of the Route 1 corridor, which is the areas south of Alexandria around Route 1 in Fairfax County (Hybla Valley, Mount Vernon, etc. most of which have Alexandria postal codes).

Old 10-17-2006, 01:56 PM

435 posts, read 1,534,707 times
Quite frankly I would rent for a while as the real estate market cools and prices stabilize. They are not in free-fall, but if you wait a year (or a few), you could end up with a better deal.

If you must buy, you will likely only be able to afford a condo in Alexandria. I doubt you can find a decent townhome for anything less than 400k in Alexandria. If you can move out towards the Fairfax County areas south and west of Alexandria, you may be able to find a townhome for 350k or so. I would recommend the Kingstowne/Van Dorn/Franconia Rd. area, which is not far from the Franconia/Springfield Metro station at the end of the Blue Line. I don't know if schools are a concern, but if so, I would steer more towards the West Springfield/Burke area then - they have the best schools within a reasonable commute of Alexandria.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,774,051 times
I live very near Newington Forest (mentioned above). There are 4 townhomes for sale on my street. A 2 level, 2 bedroom/1 or 1.5 bath, 940 sq ft can be had for about $300k, if not well under (they have been on the market awhile and I know at leas 2 are sitting empty). Try 22079 for a zip code in a major MLS system. My husband works in Old Town Alexandria and it takes him about 20 minutes to get to work (sometimes more).

I think its a very nice neighborhood. We have a brand new school nearby, and the big excitement is that Lorton just got a Shoppers Food Warehouse and a Quiznos. We are up and coming - LOL. There is a bus that goes from here to the Metro or the Pentagon, and the VRE station is under 5 minutes away. Springfield Metro is about 10 minutes, and Potomac Mills is 10-20 (depending on traffic on 95). Oh, and next year we will have the brand new Lorton Arts Center. I took a pre-contruction tour awhile back, and it looks to be very, very cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia