Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2017, 06:45 PM

211 posts, read 409,151 times

Advertisements

I did a search on the DMV site and couldn't find an answer.

Does anyone happen to know how far in advance you able to renew your license plates with the DMV. Have a friend that leaves for basic training with the Army this coming Monday...she will be gone for 6 months. Looking at her car the tags die in April, is it possible to renew them this early. No emissions will be needed as the car is new

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 06:58 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969351 View Post
I did a search on the DMV site and couldn't find an answer.

Does anyone happen to know how far in advance you able to renew your license plates with the DMV. Have a friend that leaves for basic training with the Army this coming Monday...she will be gone for 6 months. Looking at her car the tags die in April, is it possible to renew them this early. No emissions will be needed as the car is new

Thanks in advance
Renewal can happen via the website. Did she try to go online and renew?

Old 01-07-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Renewal can happen via the website. Did she try to go online and renew?

Not that I know of, she's been busy running around the last day or so getting last minute things ready....i'll let her know to try it online, when she gets home this evening....

Old 01-07-2017, 07:30 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969351 View Post
Not that I know of, she's been busy running around the last day or so getting last minute things ready....i'll let her know to try it online, when she gets home this evening....
I think it's a month or two but not 6 months. When doing renewal online, you can see if the car is eligible and if you don't see that vehicle, it's too early.

If it expires in April, then she should be able to get online in March or April to renew. She sounds extremely responsible;- great to see/ read here.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:45 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Nothing wrong with posting here and asking as certainly others have may have run into the same thing; however, I have found that the DMV is really quite helpful if you call them. Sometimes you might have to wait on hold for 10-15 minutes but otherwise I have had to call a few times because I've had some really odd issue that I can't get a straight online answer to.

I remember having registration issues when my daughter had the car out of state for college. I was looking up much of that stuff and couldn't find an answer to my issue (or a straightforward answer). Anyway, what I did realize is there seems to be special provisions for all types of things and one of them, if I recall, was some sort of leeway if you are military. Of course, who knows if I am remember correctly. If you or your friend calls them up on Monday, you can probably get all the answers from them without having to scour their website.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:03 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Online gives you about 45 days or so ahead to renew, so April will be too long. However, if she decides to get personalized plates, I think (not positive) those would reset her registration date to the new plate's issue.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:43 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Active Duty military should have a 90 day grace period to renew registration when they return, but imo far easier to have her print out the forms and mail them in April (or go online and do it). She could also give someone her info for the DMV website and have them renew for her (if someone else is driving the car while she's gone definitely renew those tags).

Old 01-09-2017, 04:47 PM

Update...she is going to have her boyfriend renew the tags sometime late March/April timeframe. Car is currently being stored at the back of my driveway until she gets back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia