Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 03:06 PM

250 posts, read 183,690 times

Advertisements

I'm moving in about a month from San Diego. I'm used to Mexican food, sushi, and fresh fruit and veggies year round. And avocados. Lots and lots of avocados. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 03:23 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,715,640 times
You will be disappointed in the Mexican food.

Sushi, you will have no problem getting.

Fresh fruits and veggies are here year round but not anything like California. It's a major disappointment for me and I'm from here. You can always get avocados of course. Sometimes they are cheap and other times not.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:49 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,913,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
I'm moving in about a month from San Diego. I'm used to Mexican food, sushi, and fresh fruit and veggies year round. And avocados. Lots and lots of avocados. .
I'm from East County

The food is completely different here. You will not get any Mexican/Polynesian

You will get Salvadoreans attempting to make Jalisco or Baja style- they suck at it as everything to them is a pupusa- a soggy nasty pupusa

And if the restaurant says hula inn its not Hawaiian bit some chinese dude pushing shrimp fried rice.

There are some texmex chains here but as you know thats a diff ball game

There are avocados everywhere but not properly ripened (frozen in shipment)/not Hass

You really should just give up and dive into the bbq/central american/halal/FABULOUS Indian/AWESOME Korean/TERRIFIC Vietnamese

Old 07-01-2017, 05:18 PM

THIS is Nova food:

[url=http://www.foursistersrestaurant.com/]Four Sisters Vietnamese Restaurant[/url]

[url=http://www.honeypigbbq.com/]Honey Pig Korean BBQ[/url]

[url=http://www.namasteva.com/]Namaste - FINE INDIAN & NEPALESE CUISINE FULL SERVICE BAR[/url]

[url=http://www.restauranteve.com/]Restaurant Eve[/url]

[url=http://www.tedsbulletin.com/menu/]Our Menu | Ted's Bulletin Restaurant[/url]

[url=http://www.matchboxrestaurants.com/locations/merrifield/]Merrifield, VA Restaurant Location | matchbox american kitchen + spirit[/url]

Lots of food and nightlife in Old Town Alexandria/Arlington -some fab some miss

I've been to [url=http://hulagirlbarandgrill.com/]Hula Girl and Grill – E Komo Mai![/url] . I liked it a lot- been 2x - but its not SD

Old 07-01-2017, 05:39 PM

Leighland, do you like living there better than San Diego? How different are the people? Will the weather be difficult to get used to?

Old 07-01-2017, 06:57 PM

I'm originally from Chicago so going from SD to here was ok Summers are buggy and humid. Winter is cold, only a couple of weeks Re death freezer with 2 feet of snow. The east coast is very where do you work, drive super aggressive. Pushy move it. You won't be alone as most people are transplants from all over the world so everyone is trying to adjust. I feel like the DMV (DC, MARYLAND, NORTHERN VIRGINIA). Has much much more in common with NYC in terms of culture and the majority minority population. There's a bunch of California to Nova thread so you should search them too. Good luck and welcome!

Old 07-01-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I'm originally from Chicago so going from SD to here was ok Summers are buggy and humid. Winter is cold, only a couple of weeks Re death freezer with 2 feet of snow. The east coast is very where do you work, drive super aggressive. Pushy move it. You won't be alone as most people are transplants from all over the world so everyone is trying to adjust. I feel like the DMV (DC, MARYLAND, NORTHERN VIRGINIA). Has much much more in common with NYC in terms of culture and the majority minority population. There's a bunch of California to Nova thread so you should search them too. Good luck and welcome!
Thank you! Personally, I get along very well with people from NY, because I like people who will say what they feel straight out instead of the passive aggressive crap in SoCal. I'm used to being around Israelis in fact, and I fondly refer to them as New Yorkers on steroids.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:51 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,296,428 times
Agree with everything said about Mexican food. Being from Texas, it took a lot of adjusting. We essentially eat no Mexican food except for Chuy's or Guappos (chains) a few times a year.

I was so spoiled with produce in Texas. It was cheap and plentiful and fresh. Here produce is expensive and sad. When I would buy from Trader Joe's or Giant, produce would barely last 3 days before spoiling. I buy from MOMs (My Organic Market) and farmers markets, so at least when I pay through the nose for produce it's fresh and will last the week.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:41 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,045,712 times
Good produce can easily be found here, especially of course when local fare is in season. Like everywhere else, we depend on transported crops in the off-season. Because this is seen as a high-income area, we tend to get a bigger and better off-season selection than many places.

Mexican food is commonly served in Mexico. Nowhere else. Someone's take on Mexican cuisine can certainly be found here, and some of it can be quite good.

Some well-regarded places to try

Otherwise, the DC area is about as diverse as the UN General Assembly. Purveyors of surprisingly good fare can be found here representing simple and elegant cookery from many parts of the world. There is a lot to explore and decide on for yourself here. It will take years to make your way through it all.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:45 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,996,544 times
The frozen Tilapia at Costco will be very similar to the Talapia at Costco in SD. You can get the Guerrero tostado shells at any latino markets along with LA costena canned salsas and el pato...Walmart sells Herdez brand. Otherwise, people routinely wait an hour for a table at Olive Garden on Saturday nights....pizza is rarely Italian, Chinese is usually Vietnamese, and a lot of the produce tastes like a cardboard box.....Sprout's Farmers should be coming soon. Al
dies and Wegmans are decent. Harris Teeter stinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia