Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 05:12 AM

3 posts, read 13,489 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm considering a job offer in Tysons Corner and looking for advice on where to live. Are there areas around there that are good for a single young person with a $2500 budget? What cities would you recommend I check out?

I'm 27, looking to rent a studio or 1 br. thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 07:27 AM

37 posts, read 30,257 times
Young single people seem to like Arlington. If your job is accessible by Metro, you could live within walking distance of one of the Silver Line stations from Ballston to Rosslyn and have a very easy commute. And you could find a small 1br within your price range fairly easily.

Living in Tysons is an option too, and you will save a little money or be able to find something bigger, but there is not much of a nightlife/young single scene there.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:11 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
The social scene for your age group is Arlington/Clarendon. My son works in Tyson's and was living in Arlington pre-pandemic. He drove to work and had about a 20 minute commute most days. Metro is easy too depending on where your work site is in comparison to the station.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:36 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,421,163 times
Merrifield?

Old 04-07-2021, 10:23 AM

33 posts, read 113,608 times
Tysons itself is a cluster of old office buildings and two malls that recently received Metro stops and is now being redeveloped into a walkable live-work-play neighborhood... and let's just say it's a work in progress. There are plenty of restaurants and (expensive!) new construction apartments, but it hasn't coalesced into a "neighborhood" yet.

Mosaic district is just down the road with a walkable "town center" - plenty of apartments over restaurants, nice shopping, a movie theater, MOM's Organic, Target, and an outdoor plaza with things like yoga and farmer's market. Quite nice, but an island of new development among aging suburbia. You can find newer apartments within Mosaic or much older garden apartments in surrounding Merrifield - just check the building age and consult a map (to me the center of Mosaic is District Ave & Strawberry Lane; you wouldn't care as much about proximity to Metro if you're driving/biking/busing to Tysons).

If you want to live closer to real urban "nightlife" or want a neighborhood with a greater sense of history, then you probably want DC, or maybe somewhere along the orange line in Arlington for an easier trip across the river.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:00 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
North Arlington - specifically the Rosslyn- Ballston corridor off of Metro's Orange / Silver Line. Plenty of studios and 1 bedrooms in your price range.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:50 PM

57 posts, read 47,139 times
I would look at staying in Tysons or Reston Town Center. Lots of young people in both, and both are changing for the better (and already really good). You also have metro access in both to get downtown if you wanted to.

Mosaic is nice but RTC and Tysons are much better. I don’t know why I don’t see the value in Aingnton’s rental buildings. To me, for those prices for small old apartments, just go live in DC.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:51 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The social scene for your age group is Arlington/Clarendon. My son works in Tyson's and was living in Arlington pre-pandemic. He drove to work and had about a 20 minute commute most days. Metro is easy too depending on where your work site is in comparison to the station.
Where do you get that "20 min commute". My wife works in Tysons off of Greensboro Drive and it takes almost an hour just to get to the beltway due to all the arteries being clogged after work.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:32 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Where do you get that "20 min commute". My wife works in Tysons off of Greensboro Drive and it takes almost an hour just to get to the beltway due to all the arteries being clogged after work.
For North Arlington commuters to Tysons it depends on the specific location- if her son works off of 123 around McLean Metro then it is doable in 20-30 minutes. Same if you're on Route 7 side off Magarity. Being on the other side of the Beltway however towards Tysons II, Greensboro, Spring Hill, etc can easily be doubled getting through the stop lights on 7 and or 123. Now granted 75% of offices are on the other side of the Beltway so won't be that quick for many but it is doable in that timeframe if you're in one of those locations.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:42 AM

57 posts, read 47,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
1 hour just to get to the beltway?!?! Let me guess, it then takes her 3 hours to drive home after that?!? I think we all know we have traffic problems here like most major metros but exaggerating to newbies who don’t know how badly you’re exaggerating is just not nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia