Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2021, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 705 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job in Ft. Belvoir. I'm in my 40s, husband is in his 50s. We have no kids, but we have 2 cats. We'll be renting, the budget is $2000 to $2400 a month. We love playing tennis and running/hiking. We want at least 2 bedrooms and would prefer a townhouse or house to rent. I don't know if our budget would be big enough for a walkable area, so its not a requirement but it would be nice. Since I only have to be in the office at Ft. Belvoir 3 times a week, I'm ok with an up to 1 1/2 hour (one way so 3 hr round trip) commute. We aren't from the area so we have no idea what areas would be good for us. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 04:37 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,409,764 times
Your budget is reasonable for a townhouse if you stick to points south and southwest of Ft Belvoir. There are a number of possible locations, but you sound like a good fit for Burke or Fairfax Station. There are a number of hiking/running trails in that area and multiple tennis/racket clubs. Neither really have a classic walkable downtown as such, but a number of shops and restaurants are available.

Other areas you may want to consider are West Springfield and Kingstowne. They are more built-up but closer to Belvoir. If you want a classic historic downtown nearby your residence (and lots of shops/restaurants), consider going further south to Fredericksburg. There are a more limited number of tennis courts available, but it has a number of trails plus recreational opportunities on the Rappahannock River. Fredericksburg is around 40 miles from Ft Belvoir, but the straight shot along I-95/Route 1 can be a difficult commute and will normally take you around an hour and a half. Sometimes less, often more. Even if you don't rent a house in Fredericksburg, the downtown is a really cool place to visit, especially if you have any interest in American History.

Last edited by ersatz; 05-22-2021 at 04:46 PM..

Old 05-22-2021, 05:01 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,897,036 times
Montclair might work, has tennis courts and a lot of area to get out and walk, plus PWC forest park right outside the neighborhood

Old 05-23-2021, 06:46 AM

4,443 posts, read 8,144,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine420 View Post
I just accepted a job in Ft. Belvoir. I'm in my 40s, husband is in his 50s. We have no kids, but we have 2 cats. We'll be renting, the budget is $2000 to $2400 a month. We love playing tennis and running/hiking. We want at least 2 bedrooms and would prefer a townhouse or house to rent. I don't know if our budget would be big enough for a walkable area, so its not a requirement but it would be nice. Since I only have to be in the office at Ft. Belvoir 3 times a week, I'm ok with an up to 1 1/2 hour (one way so 3 hr round trip) commute. We aren't from the area so we have no idea what areas would be good for us. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Not sure what your priorities are, but in this area traffic can be miserable so I always suggest living as close to work. Have you considered Lorton? It's just south of Belvoir so would be an easy commute. Mason neck and meadowood would be nearby, fountainhead wouldn't be too far away as far as parks go. That would put you closer to dc and old town alexandria if you wanted to explore there.

Personally I wouldn't want to live in Fredericksburg and make that commute even if it was only a few times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia