Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 07:35 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times

Advertisements

DC is a very Northern city to me, but I do regard it as the border between north and south, roughly.

Re: sweet tea. Yuck. It’s too sweet. Half a packet of sweet n low (because it dissolves in the tea) is almost too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 09:13 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
I’ve heard the south starts below Raleigh, NC. At this rate, the south will be constrained between SC and GA on the east coast within the next 2 decades lol.
That's ridiculous. I guarantee you, NONE of my many cousins in southside region of Virginia, or Richmond, consider themselves northerners. I used to work with a lifelong native of Fredericksburg, VA. He had a deep southern drawl (and was white).

Old 12-07-2023, 09:25 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavamphibs View Post
Once you cross the river into Virginia you are definitely in Southern territory.
Arlington, Fairfax, and Loudoun counties of Virginia in the 21st century are assuredly NOT southern. Yes, they had many schools, roads, and parks named for Confederate generals, but those were recently re-named, or are being re-named. Their culture today includes high numbers of East Asian and South Asian professionals.

The 4 southern counties of mainland Maryland were almost completely pro-Confederate during the Civil War. Abraham Lincoln received only 1 vote in Prince Georges County. There are Confederate monuments in Baltimore, Rockville, and Easton, MD. John Wilkes Booth was from northern MD.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:13 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,503,893 times
Not putting Prince George County in the south is making Edmund Ruffin turn over in his grave.

And now with my latest writing and utterance, and with what will [be] near to my latest breath, I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race

https://encyclopediavirginia.org/ent...und-1794-1865/

Old 12-08-2023, 11:04 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
That's ridiculous. I guarantee you, NONE of my many cousins in southside region of Virginia, or Richmond, consider themselves northerners. I used to work with a lifelong native of Fredericksburg, VA. He had a deep southern drawl (and was white).
I think this poster and myself were merely just saying the way people keep changing 'the line' based on one or two aspects like whether or not places serve sweet tea or everyone has a drawl- realistically Northern Virginia is still southern (lite) as Virginia is a SOUTHERN state. The point we are making is it's an arbitrary definition- you can find people with southern accents in Manassas, you can also hear a million different languages, northern accents, etc. All the major southern urban centers- Northern Virginia included have been changed by transplants.

Old 12-08-2023, 12:41 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I think this poster and myself were merely just saying the way people keep changing 'the line' based on one or two aspects like whether or not places serve sweet tea or everyone has a drawl- realistically Northern Virginia is still southern (lite) as Virginia is a SOUTHERN state. The point we are making is it's an arbitrary definition- you can find people with southern accents in Manassas, you can also hear a million different languages, northern accents, etc. All the major southern urban centers- Northern Virginia included have been changed by transplants.
Agree - who cares about sweet tea? Yikes.

Old 12-08-2023, 03:36 PM

947 posts, read 1,401,528 times
Quote:
Arlington, Fairfax, and Loudoun counties of Virginia in the 21st century are assuredly NOT southern. Yes, they had many schools, roads, and parks named for Confederate generals, but those were recently re-named, or are being re-named. Their culture today includes high numbers of East Asian and South Asian professionals.

The 4 southern counties of mainland Maryland were almost completely pro-Confederate during the Civil War. Abraham Lincoln received only 1 vote in Prince Georges County. There are Confederate monuments in Baltimore, Rockville, and Easton, MD. John Wilkes Booth was from northern MD.
And up until two years ago the official state song of Maryland was "Maryland My Maryland", whose last stanza had the line "Huzza! she [Maryland] spurns the Northern scum!"

Sort of like Nikki Haley's opinion of Vivek Ramaswamy (an Ohioan by birth). Too bad she didn't also tell him, "Why bless your heart!"

Old 12-08-2023, 09:27 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,380 times
Quote:
It doesn’t matter what they consider themselves, it matters what the gatekeepers of southern culture and what is the south thinks of them and their hometown. I’m just the messenger. The south keeps reducing in size because of these southern gatekeepers. A lot of people, many in the Deep South no longer consider VA as a whole part of the south.

I’m just telling you, I’ve been to parts of VA and the areas around Raleigh, I heard northern accents there and I was trying to pick some poke salad and no one seemed to know what I was talking about. I say we can put the southern line right around Fayetteville, NC.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:29 PM

Quote:

These confederate monuments are still currently in these places in MD? So Arlington, Fairfax, and Loudoun counties aren’t southern, but places in MD are southern? Are you confusing southern for rural?

Old 12-08-2023, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
And up until two years ago the official state song of Maryland was "Maryland My Maryland", whose last stanza had the line "Huzza! she [Maryland] spurns the Northern scum!"

Sort of like Nikki Haley's opinion of Vivek Ramaswamy (an Ohioan by birth). Too bad she didn't also tell him, "Why bless your heart!"
I never understood the whole “bless your heart” thing as an insult. It just makes you sound dainty when you say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia