Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:26 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,794,567 times

Advertisements

While I think that Fairfax County schools are very overrated, they still provide you with a good education. Its hard to get into elite universities period. I dont think Fairfax County or any school division helps or hurts you with your career path as much as your decisions after K-12. I've know plenty of kids from school systems that are very underachieving (Hampton, Newport News, Alexandria City,) get to college (or join the military) and suceed. I think it is more about playing your cards right instead of the actual cards that are dealt to you.

You got into GMU, you'll get a good education. I'd give up a right arm to have a 3.5 GPA after high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:43 PM

72 posts, read 185,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Most kids in every system are average students, and they end up at average schools. When many of your classmates have GPAs well above 4.0 with AP courses weighted in, then a 3.5 GPA is not outstanding, especially paired with a "crap" SAT score. It's not clear why you believe that you should have been accepted at a more competitive state school with a "crap" SAT score, just because you graduated from a Fairfax school. As you probably know, there are plenty of students with excellent grades and test scores who are shut out from the better Virginia universities. UVA, William and Mary, Va Tech, and JMU cannot possibly accept every applicant from the Fairfax system, or there would be no spots for students from the rest of Virginia.

I don't think I should have been accepted at a more competitive state school. I was surprised I even got accepted at GMU... I just think that fairfax county schools are okay/overated... I just do not see the big deal having gone through the fairfax county school system.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:09 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,513,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankdude View Post
I don't think you can make a general statement about FFX Cty schools based on your experience with your neighborhood school. Do you think your son should be challenged into doing fractions and reading novels and doing book reports already?

Kindergarten is more than just what is being learned from the book in the class. It's also about learning social skills, motor skills, how to think, and learning to follow directions.
I am not making a general statment about Fairfax Cty. schools - I stated my experience. Why in the world would you think I was making a blanket statement? This forum is all about posting your personal experience.

My son is very mature socially , physically and mentally - he cant help it - he is bored - when he is tested in 2nd grade I will find out if he is gifted or not -
It might be because he missed the cut off because his birthday is in Nov. - the public schools dont take into account how mature your child is - they just have an arbitrary cut off date.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:22 PM

"they just have an arbitrary cut off date" I don't agree with that. I do not see a need for the arbitrary cut off date.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:55 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,929,579 times
Perhaps you would have a greater appreciation for your Fairfax County experience if you'd had the opportunity to attend a public school in a less affluent and educated part of the country. In the small midwestern town where I now live, the public schools are dreadful. They have graduation rates that rival those of DC, and SAT scores a full 300 points or more below those in Fairfax. When I tell folks that the very best private school in the area (which costs nearly $15K) is just like our local Fairfax elementary school, they don't believe me. They cannot fathom a district in which virtually everyone graduates (so that graduation rates aren't really even on the radar screen) and 95% of the graduates go on to college.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 AM

20 posts, read 60,558 times
GMU is one of the best schools in Virginia. Originally, the northern campus for UVA.
It is highly competitive..Consider yourself lucky that you graduated from GMU.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Perhaps you would have a greater appreciation for your Fairfax County experience if you'd had the opportunity to attend a public school in a less affluent and educated part of the country. In the small midwestern town where I now live, the public schools are dreadful. They have graduation rates that rival those of DC, and SAT scores a full 300 points or more below those in Fairfax. When I tell folks that the very best private school in the area (which costs nearly $15K) is just like our local Fairfax elementary school, they don't believe me. They cannot fathom a district in which virtually everyone graduates (so that graduation rates aren't really even on the radar screen) and 95% of the graduates go on to college.
My SAT score was that I spelled my name correctly.

I remember kids in my school that smoked pot on a regular basis, got good grades, scored high on their SATs and still got into UVA.

I think education is there for people who want to take advantage of it. I think of it this way; you can have a high performance supercar but if you are an average driver the high performance supercar is not going to make you a better driver, you are still going to be an average driver. I think in my case it was my parents involvment and I guess I had some kind of ambition in life but all the while working at my own pace. The school environment/education system was not a motivator for me.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:22 PM

229 posts, read 744,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I am not making a general statment about Fairfax Cty. schools - I stated my experience. Why in the world would you think I was making a blanket statement? This forum is all about posting your personal experience.

My son is very mature socially , physically and mentally - he cant help it - he is bored - when he is tested in 2nd grade I will find out if he is gifted or not -
It might be because he missed the cut off because his birthday is in Nov. - the public schools dont take into account how mature your child is - they just have an arbitrary cut off date.
Sure you are.

Instead of being "kinda so so on fairfax county schools" as you said, you should just say that you are "so so" with your neighborhood elementary school and that it doesn't meet you or your son's needs.

The method/material taught in one school, isn't necessarily taught in another school. Some elementary schools provide more challenge than others.

Some more concerned parents in some districts raise the bar in expectations from the school. Others have a more passive approach.

Principals and teachers, to a great extent, have an influence on how the school is run and what the methods the teachers use beyond what they are required to teach.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 PM

229 posts, read 744,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05c6400 View Post
My SAT score was that I spelled my name correctly.

I remember kids in my school that smoked pot on a regular basis, got good grades, scored high on their SATs and still got into UVA.

I think education is there for people who want to take advantage of it. I think of it this way; you can have a high performance supercar but if you are an average driver the high performance supercar is not going to make you a better driver, you are still going to be an average driver. I think in my case it was my parents involvment and I guess I had some kind of ambition in life but all the while working at my own pace. The school environment/education system was not a motivator for me.
Did you do anything beyond just getting a 3.5, bad SAT, and being in the honor society? How did you distinguish yourself from your peers beyond that?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 PM

162 posts, read 639,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
While I think that Fairfax County schools are very overrated, they still provide you with a good education. Its hard to get into elite universities period. I dont think Fairfax County or any school division helps or hurts you with your career path as much as your decisions after K-12. I've know plenty of kids from school systems that are very underachieving (Hampton, Newport News, Alexandria City,) get to college (or join the military) and suceed. I think it is more about playing your cards right instead of the actual cards that are dealt to you.

You got into GMU, you'll get a good education. I'd give up a right arm to have a 3.5 GPA after high school.
I wouldn't group all the schools in those cities as underachieving. DS happens to be in a great school in one of those cities. You can also find underachieving schools in Virginia Beach and every other city in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia