Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:17 PM

241 posts, read 987,650 times

Advertisements

As far as leesburg is concerned, since I live there AND commute to Herndon.... I can give feedback about Leesburg.

1. The commute is about 25-35 mins. if you take the greenway which will cost you $9 per day. The other route, i.e. Rt. 7 & 28 is a nightmare during rush hour and can easily take up to 45 mins to 1 hr.
3. The elementary schools are okay from what I've heard, not top-of-the-ranks (like Ashburn or Fairfax) but very nice. To be very frank, I'm not concerned much about schools, they are "average" over here and I like that.
4. The area I live in kind of borders between suburban and rural (which I love).
I don't think the OP would like it as she says "she would like the area to be not too country" . I think Reston, around the Reston Town Center would be more like what she's looking for but that probably wont fit in her price range.

Leesburg is a pretty safe area except for the usual petty thefts (shoplifting, etc.), although that recent murder really shook us all living in Leesburg.
IMO, it seems more and more likely that the attack was targeted and not random, now that the initial shock and fear has subsided.
Skapov FYI, technically it was not broad daylight, it was 5:30 a.m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 03:15 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,765 times
There are some good areas in Herndon in your price range, also in Sterling, the Cascades and Countryside areas. Your commute down Fairfax County Parkway would not be hard, most people would be in heaven with such an easy trip.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:19 PM

298 posts, read 1,010,558 times
I live in Reston and think its just enough country Lots of green areas, trails etc but I can walk into town to the restaurants and bars in 30 minutes.

We rent a 3bed 2 1/2 bath townhouse in north point for $1550.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 AM

125 posts, read 404,446 times
Default Same here!

I'm also from Upstate NY and we are looking into relocating to the same area. I know what you mean about gangs-we have them in the Albany and Syracuse areas. People don't always know they are around, but they are. I think the same goes for NOVA too from what I'm reading. I'll be watching for answers as they'll be great for me. Thanks everyone!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:42 AM

5 posts, read 6,205 times
I thank you for all the replies but didnt mean to incite a riot. LOL. People it's not that serious. I am a city girl, as much as Buffalo, NY is concerned city. So rural isn't my thing. Any ideas about artistic areas and photography studios? Any thoughts on Manassas and or Gainesville?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:43 AM

If people dont know the gangs are around than that's a good thing. They aren't visible and creating too much havoc

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 AM

Default North point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopy00 View Post
I live in Reston and think its just enough country Lots of green areas, trails etc but I can walk into town to the restaurants and bars in 30 minutes.

We rent a 3bed 2 1/2 bath townhouse in north point for $1550.
Thanks poopy00. Thats sound like a very good price to me! can you tell me more about north point?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:07 AM

298 posts, read 1,010,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leeann View Post
Thanks poopy00. Thats sound like a very good price to me! can you tell me more about north point?
Emm i've only lived here 4 months so not much. There is a local Giant at the mall with a really good restaurant (Mamma Lucia). I live right between Reston and Fairfax County Parkways so easy to get everywhere. If you walk right down Reston Parkway its 25 minutes to town.

I love that when i'm out walking or jogging everyone says hello to you. Do you know about the Reston trails?

https://www.reston.org/ParksRecreati...bTD7Xllw%3d%3d

The only thing I don't like is the lack of street lamps but i'm from the UK where everywhere is lighted.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:32 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,407,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotlenova View Post
Wait, so because of this, you're going to suggest that gangs are a problem of some sort in NoVA? I think that's pretty alarmist and irresponsible frankly. It's like saying that because there is mugging in Tyson's, that suddenly Tyson's is a crime infested and dangerous area. I feel pretty comfortable saying that in most NoVA neighborhoods, gangs are not an issue.

From the April 2, 2009 Fairfax Times, regarding gang activity:

Fairfax Times (http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/news/2009/apr/02/are-gangs-making-comeback-fairfax-county/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia