Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 PM

17,652 posts, read 14,791,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I have first hand experience being in indiana. Dyer is less than 20 minutes from my house. I don't go there all the time just because I have no reason to go in that direction.
You've said in previous threads that you've only been to Indiana a handful of times ... so the fact that you've been here a time or two (and Dyer is 20 min. away) is really pushing the limit of "personal experience".

And this thread isn't about Dyer - it's about Munster. So I guess I'm right that you're here to learn more about the community so you can make your move. That would be the only logical reason I can think of.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I don't doubt that munster has great schools and is a safe community. So does and is my area. In fact the grade school that my daughter will be attending next year was awarded the blue ribbon award just this past year. Arcadia elementary. The great schools were one of the main reasons for my move to the area, along with my gorgeous home, and how beautiful the area is.
Then what's your fascination with the NWI forum - and Munster especially?

You've only been here a handful of times.

You have no plans to move here.

You bring no in-depth long term knowledge to the table when it comes to threads about NWI.

So ... why have you been popping up in here lately? I'd be happy to help - and I'm sure NWI would too - if you have a specific area of interest.

Last edited by Chuckity; 10-25-2010 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Product of CPS ... i spell bad

Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 PM

829 posts, read 2,092,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Then what's your fascination with the NWI forum - and Munster especially?

You've only been here a handful of times.

You have no plans to move here.

You bring no in-depth long term knowledge to the table when it comes to threads about NWI.

So ... why have you been popping up in here lately?

I have been to most parts of NWI and have seen most of the areas with newer houses. Honestly, you guys kind of brought it to my attention, with statements that it was so much better as far as crime, schools, safety, community acceptance, and all. It's not far from my home, I have a right to know what's going on over there.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,253,825 times
Quote:
Also, David Haddox, Kourtney Valentine, and their children are the people who deserve the apology. I am so glad that they stood up for themselves. Thank god for people as strong willed as them. Most of the victims before them probably just cowered away in embarrassment and humiliation to prevent themselves from being further embarrassed by falsely accussing these sweat and lovely folks of being racist. This is exactly what those evil condo residents wanted them to do and had pretty much being counting on as I am sure that this was not there first time at it. I know, I am sure that they were just trying to stop "ghetto blacks" from moving in. But, now the embarrassment lays at the doorstep of those who truly deserve to be embarrassed. I am sure David Haddox, Kourtney Valentine, and their children probably don't want to live there anymore anyway, but atleast they made there point loud and clear and did not just cowered away like most of the victims before them.
I just wanted to touch on some points that were not addressed in the discussion:

What, if any, evidence do you have that there actually were victims before these individuals? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but I didn't see anything in the article or in the statement of facts in the district court's consent order to indicate that.

What that homeowner association did was terrible. It's called social engineering and is never acceptable. But the district court ordered a ton of injunctive relief to address that: re-writing of the discriminatory policies, firing of the individual(s) in question, posting fair-housing signs, re-training, etc. What else would you have them do?

I guess I fail to see the efficacy of continued argument on this topic unless there is a larger problem. I don't see how you can extrapolate the deeds, albeit extreme, of these individuals to a community at large.

Things like this happen EVERYWHERE, not just Munster. It's terrible, but it's the truth. If you don't believe me just look at all the housing complaints in your home state of Illinois:

Civil Rights Division Home Page

FYI: Here is the proposed consent order from the district court:

http://www.justice.gov/crt/housing/d...idgesettle.pdf

Last edited by Bluefox; 10-25-2010 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Deleted "and"

Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 PM

2,163 posts, read 5,512,065 times
Default Ask ask & ask

Quote:
I have been to most parts of NWI and have seen most of the areas with newer houses. Honestly, you guys kind of brought it to my attention, with statements that it was so much better as far as crime, schools, safety, community acceptance, and all. It's not far from my home, I have a right to know what's going on over there.
You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT that you have a right to know what's going on over here. HOWEVER, when you don't know what's going on over here (and let's get real...you don't...) then the correct thing to do is ASK. You should not make the assumptions that you did on A) a town you don't know based on B) a news article you just read. This case has been going on for four years and there is a lot more to the story (as you just found out) that was not in the article. If you do not know something, then ask a question. DO not pretend to know what you are talking about.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 10-25-2010 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: bolded "A)" and "B)" and changed to the color "red" :-D

Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 PM

811 posts, read 2,344,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
That's a low blow and childish taunt you're making about someone who can afford Olympia Fields..
I don't know what is more mind boggling; that Olympia Fields' housing is so unreasonably high, or why parents in that area care so little about their kids as to send them to Bloom Township or Rich Township schools?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
For the last week you've been driving around NWI because of what you heard on cd? Wow.

And a correction - no one EVER has said that Indiana as a whole was so much better, blah blah blah ... but there are certain communities in NWI that surpass many Chicagoland suburbs based on quality of life issues.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 PM

829 posts, read 2,092,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I don't know what is more mind boggling; that Olympia Fields' housing is so unreasonably high, or why parents in that area care so little about their kids as to send them to Bloom Township or Rich Township schools?

Well be mind boggled, because we have great schools. And guess what? There getting better. We just opened up a brand new high school this year. And the grade school that my daughter will be attending next year was awarded the blue ribbon award just this past year.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 PM

2,163 posts, read 5,512,065 times
Quote:
Well be mind boggled, because we have great schools. And guess what? There getting better. We just opened up a brand new high school this year. And the grade school that my daughter will be attending next year was awarded the blue ribbon award.
You mean a brand new CHARTER high school?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:00 PM

811 posts, read 2,344,343 times
Quote:
Well be mind boggled, because we have great schools. And guess what? There getting better. We just opened up a brand new high school this year. And the grade school that my daughter will be attending next year was awarded the blue ribbon award.
Please provide data or other support that shows Rich and Bloom Township schools are "great". Also please enlighten us how these schools are better than Munster schools. Any reply which fails to provide support for your uneducated claims are to be taken as an admission that you're wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana