Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:50 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Faulty anology. NWI is a southeastern region of Chicagoland. Very comparable to the Metro-East in the Saint Louis area. Those Illinois towns are suburbs of Saint Louis, Misouri not suburbs of East Saint Louis, Illinois.

Most people living in a sotheastern area do work elsewhere in the south or southeast. We aren't talkng about entire states here though. Indianapois has nothing do with this dicussion and neither does the northwest suburbs of Chicago really.
Nothing faulty about it as defined by OMB. There are 11 MSAs large enough to be broken down into Divisions: The code on the left corresponds to their FIPS code
16980 Chicago-Joliet-Naperville-Ill.-Ind.-Wis. MSA
19100 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, Texas Metropolitan Statistical Area
19820 Detroit-Warren-Livonia, Mich. Metropolitan Statistical Area
31100 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, Calif. Metropolitan Statistical Area
33100 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, Fla. Metropolitan Statistical Area
35620 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, N.Y.-N.J.-Pa. Metropolitan Statistical Area
37980 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, Pa.-N.J.-Del.-Md. Metropolitan Statistical Area
41860 San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, Calif. Metropolitan Statistical Area
42660 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, Wash. Metropolitan Statistical Area
47900 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C.-Va.-Md.-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area
71650 Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, Mass.-N.H. Metropolitan NECTA

Chicago IL-IN-WI in particular with FIPS code and Division Code as defined by OMB.
16980 Chicago-Joliet-Naperville-Ill.-Ind.-Wis. MSA
16974 Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, Ill. Metropolitan Division (Cook, DuPage, DeKalb, Will, Grundy, Kane, Kendall, McHenry)
23844 Gary, Ind. Metropolitan Division (Lake (IN), Porter, Newton, Jasper)
29404 Lake County-Kenosha County, Ill.-Wis. Metropolitan Division (Lake (IL), Kenosha)

As you can see, the area follows along the lines of 10 other places. STL is not one of them.

NWI is NOT considered Chicagoland. That's strictly Illinois. NWI is referred to as the region which is why any Chicago advertisement is separated when they say all of Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana.

Where did I even mention Indianapolis? Fact, Chicago, Lansing, Naperville etc. are in Illinois. Gary, Munster, Schererville etc, are in Indiana. Both sides cross the state line for employment it's just more people on the Indiana side crosses over into Illinois than people on the Illinois side crosses over into Indiana but the fact remains the majority of people who live on the Indiana side WORK in Indiana, hence commuting patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 07:40 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_from_Seattle View Post
I was driving up I 65 to I 90 to get to Chicago so I could go home for thanksgiving and when I 65 turns into a city street I thought I went the wrong way and drove around trying to find the interstate. I went south West, away from the freeway figuring that I over shot the I90 exit. As I got more and more lost I ended up driving around I saw the whole place looked like Camden NJ had an ugly child with Compton. Then as I drove past East Chicago on the interstate it looked just as run down. There were abandoned buildings, cars on blocks, trash in the street, and just general dirtiness. Is the whole place like this? I have lived in Seattle, New York, and LA and explored all of them and Gary was by far the ugliest I have seen.
Gary is in a sad, sad state indeed. I have to drive through it every weekday to and from work. I work at a business in the NW corner of the city, almost in East Chicago. Max, be glad you didn't have a flat tire or some other car trouble while you were lost downtown. It is not a safe place!

I grew up in Gary when it was a beautiful, thriving city; before the corrupt politicians and gangs ruined it. It breaks my heart to see what it has become. There are still a few neighborhoods with well-kept homes and a few business here and there which seem to be making a go of it. However, most of the city is ugly, unsafe and pathetic.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Hoosier who is trying to argue what it's usually Illinoisans that argue,

The United States Census Bureua considers NWI part of the Chicago Metropolitan area. I will post a link when I get home (I a typing this from my phone). In my opinion, the Metro-East area in the Saint Louis area is VERY comparible to NWI. Look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why I draw this strong comparison. You didn't mention Indianpolis by name - I used it as an example. Where people in "Indiana" work is too broad to be relevant to this discussion. I don't see how you didn't understand that.. But whatever.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:30 AM

People in NWI usually work in NWI, the south side, the south suburbs or dowtown Chicago. People in the west suburbs, usually work in the west suburbs, the west side, the southwest or northwest suburbs or downtown Chicago. People work where it's closest, usually. And they work downtown. Maybe if you needed a passport or there were border police it would be different. Instead, there's just a sign that let's you know what state you entered on your twenty minute drive.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:33 AM

It used to be soo exciting to go twenty minutes east to a place that's only a little different than where i came from. It's like a whole different state, WOW! But then I grew up.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Hoosier who is trying to argue what it's usually Illinoisans that argue,

The United States Census Bureua considers NWI part of the Chicago Metropolitan area. I will post a link when I get home (I a typing this from my phone). In my opinion, the Metro-East area in the Saint Louis area is VERY comparible to NWI. Look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why I draw this strong comparison. You didn't mention Indianpolis by name - I used it as an example. Where people in "Indiana" work is too broad to be relevant to this discussion. I don't see how you didn't understand that.. But whatever.
My data came straight from OMB which is the agency that defines metropolitan areas which is why I included the FIPS and Division Codes. There are 11 areas that are broken down by Metropolitan Division as defined by OMB. Fort Worth and Dallas share the same Metro, but Fort Worth is not a suburb of Dallas just as Ft. Lauderdale not actually being a suburb of Miami even though they are part of the same Metro. I never said it wasn't one Metro area, I distinctly said, "There are 11 MSAs large enough to be broken down into Divisions." I then gave you all 11 MSAs. I just happen to break down Chicago into its three Metropolitan Divisions and gave you which county belonged to which division. Contact the Office of Management and Budget to get it changed. NWI economy isn't dependent on Chicago's economy. It is independent and stands on its own. Fort Worth as an example is not dependent on Dallas nor is Oakland dependent on San Francisco. They share the same Urbanized Area and media markets but each economy can more than function without the other. It only makes since for both areas to work together to maximize opportunity irregardless if you advertise Shedd Acquarium or Indiana Dunes but one can survive without the other. Case in point, just to mention Indianapolis, Carmel cannot survive without Indianapolis, its economy is directly tied to the capital city so as Indianapolis goes, so does Carmel.

Now, if the topic is NWI and Chicago and one mentions commuting patterns between the entire area, it's assumed you are talking about NWI and NE Illinois. There was nothing broad about it, it's just plain common sense that we're not talking about Terre Haute and say Carbondale but whatever.

BTW, you don't know where I've lived so you shouldn't assume anything.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
My data came straight from OMB which is the agency that defines metropolitan areas which is why I included the FIPS and Division Codes. There are 11 areas that are broken down by Metropolitan Division as defined by OMB. Fort Worth and Dallas share the same Metro, but Fort Worth is not a suburb of Dallas just as Ft. Lauderdale not actually being a suburb of Miami even though they are part of the same Metro. I never said it wasn't one Metro area, I distinctly said, "There are 11 MSAs large enough to be broken down into Divisions." I then gave you all 11 MSAs. I just happen to break down Chicago into its three Metropolitan Divisions and gave you which county belonged to which division. Contact the Office of Management and Budget to get it changed. NWI economy isn't dependent on Chicago's economy. It is independent and stands on its own. Fort Worth as an example is not dependent on Dallas nor is Oakland dependent on San Francisco. They share the same Urbanized Area and media markets but each economy can more than function without the other. It only makes since for both areas to work together to maximize opportunity irregardless if you advertise Shedd Acquarium or Indiana Dunes but one can survive without the other. Case in point, just to mention Indianapolis, Carmel cannot survive without Indianapolis, its economy is directly tied to the capital city so as Indianapolis goes, so does Carmel.

Now, if the topic is NWI and Chicago and one mentions commuting patterns between the entire area, it's assumed you are talking about NWI and NE Illinois. There was nothing broad about it, it's just plain common sense that we're not talking about Terre Haute and say Carbondale but whatever.

The Chicago south side grid is still used in Hammond. You know, like how 165th street in Hammond is 100 blocks south of the Woodlawn neighborhood in Chicago (65th street). Funny the streets are designed more like an extension of the south side of Chicago than an extension of Gary, Indiana. Maybe because it actually touches Chicago as well. I was just there yesterday for my friend band's show.. Maybe people in Gary and people who live further out people will say different but ask ANYONE who lives in Hammond if they consider themselves part of the Chicago area and they will say, "duh". Or maybe sarcastically say "No, I'm from Los Angeles". hehe

Car commercials aren't the only advertisements - as if advertisements are some kind of ultimate defining truth - and don't cater to ignorance and the lowest common denominator. But I've seen commercials on the idiot box that show a map of all the different "Chicagoland locations" and it shows Indiana. I remember not that long ago looking at the locations near where I live and noting the Orland Park and Merriville (Indiana) locations.. Fortunately, I forgot so I guess the advertisement didn't work on me.

Anyway, here ya go:
http://www.census.gov/econ/census02/...3000us176m.pdf
I'm right and you're wrong.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 AM

811 posts, read 2,338,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post

I would disagree wholeheartedly with the comment in red above. I wouldn't underestimate how many people from NWI either work in downtown Chicago or the Chicago suburbs. I know that the majority of the people that live on my block work either downtown or elsewhere in Illinois. Do you think that all of the new residents of Indiana that came over from Illinois just happened to all get new jobs in Indiana? Doubtful.

If NWI isn't dependent on downtown Chicago alone, then it's certainly dependent on downtown AND the Chicago suburbs for jobs. If the Chicago suburbs are dependent on the city of Chicago's economy, then NWI is indirectly reliant on the city of Chicago's economy.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I would disagree wholeheartedly with the comment in red above. I wouldn't underestimate how many people from NWI either work in downtown Chicago or the Chicago suburbs. I know that the majority of the people that live on my block work either downtown or elsewhere in Illinois. Do you think that all of the new residents of Indiana that came over from Illinois just happened to all get new jobs in Indiana? Doubtful.

If NWI isn't dependent on downtown Chicago alone, then it's certainly dependent on downtown AND the Chicago suburbs for jobs. If the Chicago suburbs are dependent on the city of Chicago's economy, then NWI is indirectly reliant on the city of Chicago's economy.
Actually, I think Lake County is dependent on Chgo.

And less so the rest of NWI.

I think I remember seeing stats somewhere about the amount of people in the region who commuted to Chgo ... I need to do some digging to find that again. After I dig out Christmas ornaments ....

Old 12-12-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
The Chicago south side grid is still used in Hammond. You know, like how 165th street in Hammond is 100 blocks south of the Woodlawn neighborhood in Chicago (65th street). Funny the streets are designed more like an extension of the south side of Chicago than an extension of Gary, Indiana. Maybe because it actually touches Chicago as well. I was just there yesterday for my friend band's show.. Maybe people in Gary and people who live further out people will say different but ask ANYONE who lives in Hammond if they consider themselves part of the Chicago area and they will say, "duh". Or maybe sarcastically say "No, I'm from Los Angeles". hehe

Car commercials aren't the only advertisements - as if advertisements are some kind of ultimate defining truth - and don't cater to ignorance and the lowest common denominator. But I've seen commercials on the idiot box that show a map of all the different "Chicagoland locations" and it shows Indiana. I remember not that long ago looking at the locations near where I live and noting the Orland Park and Merriville (Indiana) locations.. Fortunately, I forgot so I guess the advertisement didn't work on me.

Anyway, here ya go:
http://www.census.gov/econ/census02/...3000us176m.pdf
I'm right and you're wrong.
Uh, read the map, it stated just what I said it did. The dotted green lines donates Metropolitan Division which you will see three, Chicago-Naperville, Gary-Hammond and Kenosha-Lake(IL). It also includes Combined which adds Kankakee and Michigan City. Again, no where did I state, it wasn't one large msa. What I stated AGAIN, is that it is an area broken down further by Metropolitan Division (there are 11 MSAs that have Metropolitan Divisions). The Office of Management and Budget defines MSAs/CMSAs, my data came straight from them and your map on the census web site states exactly what they've (OMB) defined. As far as advertisements, it's more than car companies that use the Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana.

The Hammond grid is similar to the Chicago grid yes, but doesn't actually use it, I'll have to dig up the information where it was stated as such.

As far as commuting patterns, the last known is from 2006 done by WorkOne for Region I which includes the 4 counties in question plus LaPorte, Starke and Pulaski counties. Taking away Laporte, Pulaski and Starke Counties which would more than likely lean more towards South Bend. For 2006, workforce was 413,536 of which 63k roughly just over 15% commuted to Illinois for employment. From Illinois into Indiana was just under 20k which is higher than I actually expected it to be. Fast forward 6 years and the numbers will still be relative give or take a few percentage points one way or the other which means +/- 5-10k in either direction. Either way, by a wide margin, people on the Indiana side work in Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana