Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:35 PM

8 posts, read 23,184 times

Advertisements

I am worried that since Chicago and NWI is so close, whether there should be a serious reason for concern about moving our family there. The high crime in Chicago scares me and with me being a shopping addict and looking forward to many trips to River Oaks but after reading so much negativity about the mall, it made me wonder if the crime was noticably seeping into NWI. I am a resident of Rockford, Il and that's exactly what's going on here. Since Cabrini Green was tore down, a lot of those linked to that housing project moved here and has been literally terrorizing this city. I would just hate to move there and the situation is the same. For residents living there, what's your overall opinion of the area, is NWI a great place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 12:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcc9091 View Post
I am worried that since Chicago and NWI is so close, whether there should be a serious reason for concern about moving our family there. The high crime in Chicago scares me and with me being a shopping addict and looking forward to many trips to River Oaks but after reading so much negativity about the mall, it made me wonder if the crime was noticably seeping into NWI. I am a resident of Rockford, Il and that's exactly what's going on here. Since Cabrini Green was tore down, a lot of those linked to that housing project moved here and has been literally terrorizing this city. I would just hate to move there and the situation is the same. For residents living there, what's your overall opinion of the area, is NWI a great place to live?
Parts of NWI have always experienced high crime. Keep in mind that NWI is home to Gary, Hammond and E. Chicago, which have experienced high incidences of crime for decades. I wouldn't so much say that crime is "seeping" into NWI from Chicago so much as it has already been in NWI.

That being said, most of NWI is quite safe outside those three areas I listed, and even as far as Hammond goes, the violent crime is mostly in the northern sections of the city. St. John, Munster, Dyer, Valpo, Schererville, Crown Point and Chesterton for example are all very nice and safe communities. To my knowledge none of these cities have seen any upswing in crime. City-data has all the crime statistics for every city and town in NWI if you are interested at looking how crime in NWI compares to the national average.

Last edited by Bluefox; 07-20-2012 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 12:59 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
And as far as River Oaks Mall goes, I don't really find it incredibly impressive. If I was going to drive to IL to do shopping, I'd might as well drive to Orland Park or even just take the train downtown.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
Quote:
Crime in NWI isn't widespread. It is more prevalent in northern Lake County. The central and southern areas of LC you will be fine. As far as crime spilling over from Chicago, it goes back and forth, granted you have some Chicago displacement now in Gary and East Chicago. Robberies are up but homicides are way down.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:45 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,503 times
Our small town has experienced quite a few bigger crimes from individuals residing in Chicago; many involving selling drugs, and robbing businesses.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
In general, yes, North Lake County has more crime than South Lake County. However there are towns like Munster and Highland that are very very safe and considered more north than south and then theres Merrillville which spans from Central to South county and is getting a lot more crime-ridden mostly from Gary influence. And while the crime in Merrillville is mostly in the northern area, it is also in the southern area too (like around Sedona) and apartment complexes on the south end of town.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:37 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Actually Chicago has just had an uptick in crime the past year.

For a long long long time the murder rates have dropped.

They are actually a long way form the 900 plus murders a year back in the 1980s .

As the Chicago Tribune stated one murder is to many but there were many more decades ago.

There is a good write up today in the Tribune about this subject.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:02 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
Quote:
I used to live in the Rockford area, and will say that Gary & East Chicago are as bad as the West side of Rockford.

River Oaks went downhill years ago, you'd be better off shopping in the Southlake area of Merrillville.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:40 PM

8 posts, read 23,184 times
Thanks so much everyone, your input is very appreciated!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 7,454 times
Southlake mall in Merrillville is a great mall, Im from Indianapolis and was visiting and was very impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana