Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I don't think so
In that case I hope the poster will cite some examples because

1. I'm really curious.

2. I'm sure he/she probably has never been to Gary.

Really and I hate to sound negative because in a way I'm a fan of the city, but if they razed it and cleaned up the environmental problems the location makes it prime for development.

I would love to see Gary turn around...as it stands now though I just can't realistically see that ever happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 09:34 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
In that case I hope the poster will cite some examples because

1. I'm really curious.

2. I'm sure he/she probably has never been to Gary.

Really and I hate to sound negative because in a way I'm a fan of the city, but if they razed it and cleaned up the environmental problems the location makes it prime for development.

I would love to see Gary turn around...as it stands now though I just can't realistically see that ever happening.
I too hope Gary will be able to turn around some day. It's definitely not in the cards for the city in the near future, much work needs to be done before any palpable results can be derived. Until Gary is able to reverse its trend in shedding population, there will be few positives coming out of Gary.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:07 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
I too hope Gary will be able to turn around some day. It's definitely not in the cards for the city in the near future, much work needs to be done before any palpable results can be derived. Until Gary is able to reverse its trend in shedding population, there will be few positives coming out of Gary.
Its just a shame. There are so many historic buildings in the city I would love to see restored.
Much of the housing was quality construction as well...FAR better than the houses being thrown together today..

Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Its just a shame. There are so many historic buildings in the city I would love to see restored.
Much of the housing was quality construction as well.
..FAR better than the houses being thrown together today..
What made these houses such great quality? I've passed through Gary a few times, the houses in that area look like they do in almost any other midwest city. Lots of houses built in the 30's 40's and especially 50's, all similar style and design.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:51 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
It has a Brighter future both economically, and otherwise, than some us cities that's for sure.
I would be interested in hearing your reasoning behind this statement.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
So what are some good things that Gary is known for, that it excels in, or that people visit it for?
The strong industrial scent flavor I smell in the air reminded me of Birmingham back in the 70's when the air was a bit more smokey. They say smell can trigger one's memories. This aspect of Gary has triggered some good flash backs while growing up around the many smoke stacks. I guess you would have to grow up in that environment to appreciate it. I wish in a sense Gary was a suburb of Indianapolis or that Indy was located on Lake Michigan. Union Station would just be an extra stop along the South Shore Line with more ridership.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:32 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Gary's proximity to Chicago and Lake Michigan make it a good candidate for revitalization and maybe
one day (but I think it will take years). Gary was successful and vibrant due to US Steel
(chairman Elbert Gary) but it was also it's downfall since it was based on one type of
manufacturing. Never the less, there are some great buildings there.

http://www.preserveindiana.com/image...y/methchur.jpg

http://www.preserveindiana.com/image...us/Gary1-2.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...in_station.jpg

http://www.bustler.net/images/news2/...allenge-10.jpg

Old 03-30-2014, 10:05 PM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
What made these houses such great quality? I've passed through Gary a few times, the houses in that area look like they do in almost any other midwest city. Lots of houses built in the 30's 40's and especially 50's, all similar style and design.
All other things being equal, I would take a house built in the 50s every and any day over a piece of crap that was slapped together over the last 15 years.

Give me plaster walls, solid oak doors, hardwood floors and quality construction and I'm a happy camper.

(Throw in wiring run through conduit over romex and I'm over the moon w/ joy! It's the little things, I tell you!)

Old 03-31-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
All other things being equal, I would take a house built in the 50s every and any day over a piece of crap that was slapped together over the last 15 years.

Give me plaster walls, solid oak doors, hardwood floors and quality construction and I'm a happy camper.

(Throw in wiring run through conduit over romex and I'm over the moon w/ joy! It's the little things, I tell you!)
The insulation and energy savings of modern homes is no comparison to homes from the 50's. Drywall is superior to plaster in almost every way. Older homes have a distinct charm, especially since they don't build them that way anymore, today it's all about space and open floor plans, back then the rooms were smaller, the hallways narrower, houses have had to get bigger today for bigger Americans.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:15 AM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Drywall is superior to plaster in almost every way.
Are you kidding me?

Um ... no. No no no no no no no no.

Did I say ... no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana